Bertone's collection

markx19

Mark Weinberger
Anybody know what happen to the X1/9 that was in the Bertone collection?

Also where is the alloy body one?

Carrozzeria Bertone

Anybody know what happen to the X1/9 that was in the Bertone collection?

Also where is the alloy body one?

Damn good question but there is a lot of confusion as to what happened during the restructure.

As far as I understand it the Italian Bankruptcy court refused Lillie Bertones' offer of 4.56 million Euros for the lot and demanded no less than 6 million euros, so was to break it up releasing the 'Çoncepts' to auction in 2011. There were over 90 vehicles in that original Bertone collection and Lillie got 84 for $US2.4 million but the Concepts I "think" she couldn't get.

English RM Auctions were sell the vehicles in Italy in May 2011. The HF went to America as I saw a video of it being off loaded and driven into a museum, can't remember exactly where but the number ( tag ) plates looked like they were USA.

Both the Marzal and Stratos HF concepts, penned by Marcello Gandini, were tipped to sell for up to $2.5 million each. The bottom feeders wanted to sell the six cars for as much as $6.75 million, I don't why they went so wrong on the day( because I put my fingers in my ears ). *#$%^&* lawyers they should have taken her offer. I know they did not get $US6.75 million they were after for the six ( ~3 1/2 achieved), so the result is they broke up a masterful piece of automotive history.

Greed is NOT good and I have an unspeakable opinion of lawyers, these Itailian ones should be shot. As far as I can guess minus the fees and legal costs amounted to a similar figure that Lillie offfered. But I guess then the bottom feeders wouldn't get a part of the pie now whould they?.

So I guess the remaining 84, which probably includes the two you mentioned are, at least as I understand, still in the hands of Nuccio Bertone's widow and remain in the family - where they belong.

Whilst this travesty marked the first time that any Bertone vehicles have ever been offered for sale to the public, I suggest it will be the last time too, those remaining 84 probably won't be parted from the
remanider of Carrozzeria Bertone.

Anyone know where these went?

The 1978 Lancia Sibilo

The 1963 Chevrolet Testudo

The 1974 Lamborghini Bravo

The 1980 Lamborghini Athon

The Marzal - driven by Prince Rainier and Princess Grace in 1967

Appoligies as my age and grumpiness is showing today.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/114406/bertone-concepts-to-be-auctioned-by-bankruptcy-court/

Thanks for the reply, and info.

Sounds like you know a lot about this subject.
However this guy i know has another story i think he will post it here.
Guess as a group we may find out.

Any idea what the VIN of that X1/9 would be?

Mark
www.x19.com.au

However this guy i know has another story i think he will post it here.

If the story is the collection is now all gone & sold off I don't think that's the case but my only source is reading, Google + wanting to know :italia:

I doubt we'll ever know in the end where they end up.
good luck on that VIN :hmm2:
first Question should be is the museum in Caprie,Turin still open or is it toast after the bankruptcy? Websites and such are still in place.

The 6 vehicles sold off in 2011 were to avoid bankruptcy + pay off debt. That was early in the year 2011 before Italy declared the collection a national heritage.
Back in 2009 more Bertone liquidation by selling off the manufacturing factory in Grugliasco,Turin to Fiat now Maserati's new plant named "Giovanni Agnelli Plant".

On November 2,2011 the Italian Ministry of Heritage and Culture announced that the "Bertone collection" kept at the company headquarters in Caprie,Turin is now part of the national artistic heritage of Italy.
Unfortunately, the Collection is missing some jewelry, but the majority of the collection now is safe.
And by the legislation decree the collection has to stay in Italy and can only be sold as an entire collection w/o being sold in individual lots.
All this info is still all over Google after Stile Bertone went bust in July of this year.

That's all I got :)

NOW WHO DOESN'T LIKE PHOTOS :grin:

1980 2+2 equipped standard with a baby seat :D

Next to the Shake Buggy

1987 on the ramp in the museum

Superlight ALCAN-ASV (Aluminum Structured Vehicle)

ASV engine compartment

INSIDE the ASV- story told it had only 2miles on it during the photo years back!

Just what I read

I read the auto news but no really astonishing 'insider' information, if that's what you mean

I'm with Greg on this one, Great post BTW- thank you very much.

When it closed ItaliaspeedTV did a small ( and VERY sad video ) and yes now building Maseratti
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWVF2g0b2Pc"]ItaliaspeedTV - Officine Automobilistiche Grugliasco [formerly Carrozzeria Bertone] - YouTube[/ame]

The EMCC listing, here you will get a snippet about Pininfarina's hand in the demise.

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/emcc...Records=15431&issearch=&nav=&order=&type=DESC

Despite what was said at the time they still broke it up to pay debts ( hence always take a grain of salt when reading an auto journalists scribble )

To support Gregs comments I don't think we will ever see it split up further.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/13/...lection-report/?icid=autoblog|check-these-out

Squabbles in the family :mad:- we all have our national examples down here its the Reinhardt and the Hancocks.

Here's one I guess the family would love to add to the collection.
The enduring mystery of the “lost” 1965 Bertone Mustang

http://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2012/12/the-giugiaro-bertone-mustang.html

To add;

Got an Email to tell me the HF is in LA at the Pertersen Auto Museum.

Last edited:
I believe the Siblo is

In the perteson museum. There was an article a few months back in Autoitalia that showcased the car along with the widow and the tribute car to the big man himself. If I can scan the doc I will post it.

W

Back