Lights

Go Irish

True Classic
Interesting thing, last evening went out to the garage and the head lights were on in my 86 X, they weren't popped up they were just on in the lowered position, car has been sitting for two weeks or so, key was off but in the ignition, I turned the lights on then off and they stayed off for now. Any clue what caused that?

Being an '86

A couple possibilities.
1. A possible bad headlight switch. These are known to melt inside due to high current and contact resistance.
2. A stuck relay. Unlikely, as the high beams have to be on as well for this condition to occur.
3. (long-shot) A short in the steering column high-beam switch. (you can pull to flash your high beam)

Since the operation of the switch corrected the problem, it's the first suspect like Bob said. But, the key should have to be "on" for power to go to the headlight switch. So there may be more to it.

I cannot remember if...

... you can pull on the hi/lo switch on the steering switch cluster with the key off and out, if it would result in flashing the lights. (?)

I'm not near an X1/9 or near my electrical breadboard at the moment, so if someone can chime in and tell us if the lights flash with the ignition off, this might expose additional clues.

With the key off the lights do not turn on, go up and down or light up when pulling on the high beam lever

Geez Niles... How long were they on for?

You said its been sitting for two weeks... but I doubt the lights were on for more than a few hours. The battery would surely go flat by then.

You don't have any kids that might live with you do ya???

In my estimation... I would think the problem lies in the IGNITION switch since it has to be ON before power is sent to the LIGHT switch, to turn on the headlights. But... I understand you to say you turned the LIGHT switch on and off to resolve the problem.

Many here might disagree with what I'm about to suggest next... but I have found they usually work well for me...

1. If you have any kids, swat their tushes and tell them to stay the hell outta your car! (Don't bother asking them, as they will deny it!)

2. Spray WD40 into the "key-way" of the Ignition switch and the Light switch as well. Exercise them both.

3. If the problem continues, find a local Priest and have him Exorcise your car.

If none of these suggestions cure your problem... get back to us for more. Do let us know of your progress though...

Back