Abarth X1/9 Prototipo in Auto Italia mag

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Hi folks. For those of you you care about such things, there is a very interesting article - well actually a long "letter to the editor" with lots of pics - in the August 2014 edition of Auto Italia magazine.

Magazine is available - well at least up here - at the larger bookstores.

It was a long letter from a chap in Australia (who even identifies himself) who claims to be in possession of the one and only Abarth X1/9 Stradale version. I believe Abarth made about 5 prototypes in full rally trim, and one only "stradale" (I think that is Italian for street) prototype. They were going to make 500 of the stradale versions for homologation purposes. All to the spec of the one stradale version they made. At the very last minute (even after the homologation papers were made), Fiat pulled the plug. No more were ever made..

He claims to have purchased the X1/9 Abarth Stradale from Al Cosentino of FAZA fame. I think we all knew that indeed Cosentino possessed this particular X1/9. But I think nobody was too sure where it ended up. Now we know.

Interestingly enough, he also claims that at the time he bought the Stradale (in 2006), he also purchased from Cosentino an Abarth 030 (I think this is sort of a Scorpion with a Fiat V6 in it), AND all remaining inventory of Faza. It has been known (or at least rumoured) for years that some guy from Australia bought all the FAZA stuff. He also got reams of Abarth paperwork, and thousands of historical photos from Abarth. Most never published - and lots of negatives never printed !!

Strangely enough, I've never seen any of the FAZA inventory up for sale. I guess we dont know what was left, and why he has been sitting on it for 8 years !! Maybe some cool stuff will surface now...

Anyway, it was an interesting read. Also in this issue is an article (and test drive) of a road version Delta S4 (it's on the cover) with only 300 kms on it. And a long article on the Fiat 124 spyder and coupe.

Do any of our Aussie members know this chap ?

Regards, Doug

Sorry Rob...

i'm at work right now, and the magazine is at home. I'll post his name tonight.

A lot of us don't surface on the local scene Down Under

Be interested in the name.

If he wasn't forthcoming since 2006 I doubt he will be any more willing to open up now.

But you just never know, life brings many changes to circumstance. If you are a horder often you run out of space or loose interest and sell up.

Copyright forbids that you post the article but we'd love some details.

Hi All
I am from Hong Kong and fan of Italian cars. I was able to get in touch with this guy, Michael Miller and have exchanged a few emails. He lives in both Hong Kong and Australia
From the email:
"I can look up who I sold the wheel flares too as they were going to remake them as it was all the patterns.
I do have loads of other parts in stock also Abarth steering wheels and Abarth books etc."

Cheers
James

Yes indeed...

The letter was signed "Michael Miller, Australia"

Surely someone like that would be well known in the Australian Fiat community ?

But at least the fact he wrote the letter may mean some cool Fiats and parts may surface...

Doug

His last name is Miller. and he I have a story for those who really want one but wont post it on line... Sorry.:italia:

Back