Please help me with my X1/9 :)

arc12111

True Classic
I have just discovered that my exhaust manifolds gasket went, blow by at the block. I have removed manifold, no cracks looks good. However one of the bolts securing the manifold to block was gone........ This is before I took anything apart. The bolt sheered off, now drill and tap seem to be my only way on the install. Can anyone tell me if the bolts from the block are molded with the block, or are they screwed in at factory. I'm talking about the bolts for securing intake and manifold? Another note.... Where the bolt was sheared off is where the blow by was accruing. My car has all original parts and only has 30,384 miles on her. I love this car so much, and I am desperate for some help by anyone whom is willing to coach me through this repair. Mind you, I'm no mechanic, but have good hand skills, and some know how. Thank you very much.

They are screw-in studs

Sounds like one has broken flush with the exhaust manifold mounting surface?

You will need to remove the access panel between the trunk and engine compartment, remove both the intake and exhaust manifold, and drill a hole in the broken off stud to allow the use of a bolt extractor.

Start dosing it with penetrant (I like PB Blaster) as soon as possible and repeat at least daily until you are ready to extract the stud. When that time comes, you may need some heat too so a propane or mapp torch will come in handy.

Removing the intake manifold will cause a cooling leak so use the petcock on that side of the block to drain down the coolant.

Pete

Thank you Pete

Awesome to know, if you don't mind I may be asking more questions at a later time. I just want to get her feeling good again, and hit the roads here before winter comes. Thanks Pete.

Back