Fiat X1/9 1987 restoration project

DaveF

I must be MAD!!!
Its been a while,
Once we took everything off including the wiring loom and had a closer inspection, we decided we needed a better way of getting around. I didn't fancy lying on my back when welding as there is quite a lot to do!!!
So a rotating jig was the next best thing.

This jig was one of the best things we did, this has been a great help I'm able to take my time and do some quality work.

Reconstruction of the rear n/s quarter, we needed to remove unwanted rust.

Plugged a few holes with the inner arch.

Reconstructing this corner with home made panels.

Once this bottom panel was removed some rusty holes were repaired

This side panel was made using 1.2mm steel sheeting.

Rust treatment begins.

Trying to clean the engine bay

We have decided to finish the rear quarter and the concentrated on removing all the rust over the entire vehicle and make all the templates we need for welding for when the weather gets a bit better.

More later.

Diving in head first... into 3 inches of water!

WOW...

Most here state-side would had the car crushed with that much rust damage...

You are obviously a DEDICATED and very SKILLED artisan when it comes to wielding metal and a torch! My proverbial hat is off to you!

Keep those pictures coming and I only wish you the best weather to work in!

Hi,
Yes I do have all the parts, they are all locked away in a separate shed to stop me from getting distracted.

It doesn't look as bad as one might think, and I'm under no illusion that this will be finished any time soon. Unfortunately I'm unable to put the car in the garage because it's full of tools and equipment for the car. So I have to cover it every time I finish working on it, it's a bit of a pain but hey that's life.

As I continue with the resto I'm going to make some alterations, I'm not that keen on the 1500 version the front and rear bumpers look awful and they add a lot of unnecessary weight to the car, I find the 1300 more fetching to the eye so this is what I'll be aiming for.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm all ears as well!!!!

LLOks like you've got your work cut out for you!

Shame you don't use PB or similar image hosting where the pics could be viewed at a reasonable size, and without all the advertising - can't see any real detail of the work you are doing in the thumbnail pics :(

Fiat X19 Restoration

Sorry the pictures I uploaded were a little too small to view, so here they are again.

Click on the thumbnail for a larger picture.

Up on the jig ready for a spin.

A bit of rust preparation.

Just tack welded for now still need to fill in.

There will be a lot more to come.

Indeed you are Eric... but my Lord...

I think even most "right-coasters" woulda given up on that shell as well!

(Bob Brown is an exception... in more ways than one...)

Hi DaveF glad you stuck with the restoration I was afraid you had scrapped it as there has been no updates for a very long time on the Fiat Forum.
It will be a long slog mines been over a year and i've only just finished the under side and wheel arches (and a load of small items).
The frame looks good I had to have mine on wheels as the workshop needs it to mobile, I find most the time seems to be spent scraping old paint off and treating.
Keep up the good work.

Hi Gunna,

No I've not given up on my X, its been a long old slog. Despite the pictures looking as if the car is ready for the scrap yard...one would be mildly surprised to find that most of the rust is superficial but there is a fair bit of it. Thankfully all the structural point are in tacked and just require a good clean and rust protection. It is taking shape but I'm also mindful not to upset my neighbours with the "grinder" so I have to choose my moments.

The weather has not been on my side for a while this tends to dictate my progress, when I'm not able to work outside I'm in the garage working on other bits.

I'll upload more pictures when I'm at the stage where the car is off the jig and back on the jack stands. Probably looking nearer the end of the year.

Thanks

DaveF

Well, its been a while since my last post, sorry its taken so long, but work and weather can sometimes get in the way...the last time on my post I left it a bit in the air with very few pictures to upload. I've done a bit more since, but nothing much to talk about!!!

My son completed his University degree found a job and moved away...so no more help from him I'm afraid!! Fortunately for him he has secured a great career one proud father.

Here you can see that I've cut out a bit of rust, well quite a lot actually the previous owner was in another world to say this was a solid car.

I had to cut this section out to sort the rust behind this panel, once complete I re-attached this piece with tack welds for now!!

The entire under section was completely stripped of all under seal any rust was removed or replaced with new metal. The hole one can see near the rear swing arm attachment was replaced with new metal this area was completely corroded.

Fresh metal added to the rear o/s quarter.

Here I applied some rust removal Gel and covered it with clingfilm and left it over night to do its stuff.

A closer look at the piece I had to cut out.

This is the completed welded section of the previous picture.

This was the rear O/S quarter section I started to rebuild I could have easily brought new ones for this area but to buy this little section would have cost around £50 pounds where as it only cost me a few pounds of my own steel and a few hours of my time, plus I would have had to wait for six weeks for this part to arrive.

A few bits I started to clean up while the weather is not so good.

One of the rear drive shaft prepped with some rust removal Gel the result with this Gel was amazing.

A closer inspection of the engine, it looks very tired so I started to strip it down ready for a complete overhaul (more pictures later)

Piston clean up all four were pretty much the same.

After a good session with some Gunk it wasn't long before they looked like new.

Looking a bit sorry but in time this will look like new!!

This oil sump was ready for a good clean inside and out.

The engine block was stripped and ready for a good clean this block was in very good condition after a clean and some rust removal a black satin will later be applied.

This crank shaft was removed cleaned and checked for damage luckily all was ok.

I have decided to make preparations to move the car into the garage as the weather is starting to take its toll, every time I take the covers off yes you've got it "rain" I'm sick to the back teeth with it. So a new shed is in order to make space in the garage.

That's it for now, more later.

Sorry I've just noticed that this post has ended up on the wrong section I thought I was on the workshop section.

Once again sorry for this this.

Dave, this is OK here... The WF section is more for...

help and questions. Progress is fine and so much more in the DF section.

AND... I gotta say... CONGRATS on the challenges and work you have done on this car so far. I swear it woulda been crushed if found here in the States as being TOO much work to be worth it. I only know of one other, and that is OVI in Romania, that has a car that is more patchwork than original steel like yours.

Some might say you are foolish, but I doubt it would be anyone from this site, especially if they know the environment you are up against.

You have my ADMIRATION. Anxious to see more soon!

Back