El Segundo Main St. Car Show Aug. 22nd.

mbusman

Big Bird
Saturday 8/22 is the 18th. annual Main Street car show in El Segundo, CA.

It's always a great, great, show with hundreds of great and interesting cars, great music, and great food, especially if you're partial to beer and pizza. All proceeds benefit the El Segundo police dept. Tony, Tommy, Rudy, Ed De Carbo, and I will be there. With luck maybe George (cozzoi) who has won an award in the past and Jose Quinto (addictedpunk) might be able to join us and have a whole bunch of X 1/9's lined up on Main Street together.

Further info and registration information can be found at:

www.carshow*elsegundopoa.org.

Mike

Hey Mike, hope all is well with you and your family. Sure wish this event was on a Sunday, I work Saturdays, and that's the only reason keeping me from being there with you all.

Rob,

I know you work Saturdays. Is there any way you could pull some strings or call in a favor to be able to attend?

It's always a great show and a good time. Besides, anytime one gets to rub shoulders with Papa Tony makes it a special occasion. Even if he barks at you. :dance2:

If you can't make it I know we'll hook up again soon.

Mike

Mike, you guys have some fun. There are two car shows in my part of WY and I go to them annually.

Wish I could get some time off...

To visit the sunnier side of Cali, but no go...Sounds like it will be fun as beans with some cool dudes attending.

Hey Tim,

Why don't you just call in sick on Friday. Drive down to the Southbay area south of LAX and stay Friday and Saturday nights, and head home Sunday. There might even be one of us down here who could give you a place to sleep for the 2 nights and we could also "paint the town red".....even though yellow is my favorite color.

Give it some thought.

Mike

Jim,

Understood. At least we can count on seeing you at Best of France & Italy again?? Bring Annie this time. And Jeanine too if you have room.

Mike

Just a couple more days.

If there isn't time to register online, you can probably do so at the entrance gate. Word has it that Papa Tony will be leading the hoola hoop competition.
Mike

Here are a few "Interesting" photos...

This show is held a few blocks east of the beach along the MAIN STREET in downtown El Segundo. It has grown from less than 300 cars last year to over 350 this year and is open to all. I'm sure it will continue to grow as the band and the crowds and the venue are just wonderful.

Here's Tommy Mastracchio and an enthusiastic spectator. My car is hidden behind his. We drove together some 50 miles from our homes and it was really NEAT and fun to chase each other down or to just cruise and be able to LOOK at another great looking X1/9 actually RUNNING.

Ed DeCarbo from Anaheim. He and his wife Barbara hosted us two months ago with a great BBQ and company. Big Bird there is Mike's '79, Eds is another '79 behind his.

My son Joey and my youngest granddaughter, Bella Ella Noelle, saved us these great spots while he SLOWLY set up his booth of great artwork and T-Shirts... He also allowed us to stay at his business office and cool off with IPA Beer, Salad and Pizza!

The only EXTREME Sports Car there... A relatively STOCK car with an insane exhaust. BTW... this is NOT an original CA Black Plate as they were only 6 digits, 3 letters and three numbers and there were NO Vanity Plates at the time. So this is probably a NEW White Plate that can have 7 characters but only 6 were used in a somewhat odd configuration. Repainting them to match or contrast with a car's paint appears to be OK as long as the numbers are contrasting to the background, the State as well, and the tags are current. (BTW again, my tags from Arizona have the plate designation and a serial number as well... to help defray theft I guess, only when caught!)

So what the hell would B-8-3-1-C-O spell or mean? (There were some Asian folks that seemed to be with the car's owner if that helps... I wonder if there could be an Hispanic slat to this as well

One BIG LAMBO...

and one BABY LAMBO...

I thought this looked cool when I got home that evening as I was parking... so I used that excuse to post it...

A REAL R3 Avanti in close to Concours condition

This fat old man was standing by George Aspron's NEW Bugatti Replica. Of course none of us really knows what they are SUPPOSED to look like, but he did not hesitate with his silence when asked if it was real!

It was LOADED with custom leather work including Gloves and Goggles and Belts and Flaps and Bags and stuff all over the car. The shifter was mounted OUTSIDE the bodywork along with an E-Brake... and the crank up front actually went all the way back to turn over the classic VW engine in the back (ha!) whose gasses excited via ONE 2 inch bologna-sliced tail pipe. This was one hell of a showstopper as he allowed kids to sit in it and dressed them with the goggles and the like. George (Martini Dallara, Citroen Mehari, etc. etc.) is one hell of a craftsman and all around ASTOUNDING gentleman!

AH 3000

I dunno but one beautiful interior... a Lancia maybe?

Tons of Hot Rods, Street Rods and customs... The old typical Chevy 350 and 3 speed Turbo Hydro trans that were found in almost every rod that wasn't a flathead... has been replaced by two others. For customs and cruisers, the modern LT and LS Chevy powerplants power them... and for the rods and in your face cars outside of Mopars, the NEW standard appears to be the Chevy 502ci, 502hp engine... almost to the point of boredom.

Here is an old SBC with a twist when it comes to Air Cleaners...

and here is a custom as I approached from the front and thought was just a Resto-Mod... and it just wasn't ME... It stopped EVERYONE in their tracks!

I have tons more and hopefully the others will chime in with their photos. These were the ones I thought were something different and that you folks would enjoy.

Tommy Mastracchio, Mike Busman, George Aspron, myself and Ed DeCarbo

Last edited:
As always, it looks like you had a great time taking things to the level of "X"
Looking forward to the next big thing - BFI or something sooner?

Indeed Rob... and the guys I was with can appreciate it.

Most didn't give it a second look.

I must admit though... when we all pulled in together at about the same time... a crowd gathered and we couldn't leave for over an hour answering questions and getting kudos from a crowd of mostly Hot Rodders, Street Rodders and Muscle Car guys. A real eclectic gathering and everything like the weather and all fell into place.

Rob... you were MISSED! Several of the Boyz wanna...

do something again before BFI but I cannot commit to anything at this time. My wife was in the hospital twice in the last 2 months again with a surgery and another ER visit and week long stay because of other problems.

We've just completed some follow up visits and she is doing well... but we are venturing into a new form of drug infused and I dunno where that is gonna go. So... If I can, I will... but get after Busman and DeCarbo as they are kinda promoting the idea.

Back