Do you need a bath ? - Free Pic

lezesig1

expatriot
My swing-arm did.

* * * De-Rusting * * *

This is the result of a VINEGAR ONLY pickle bath after
only four days of total immersion.

It knocked off the oilies, debris, old paint, and rust.
What a labor saver!

Localized surface rusting appreared (flash) just
where I expected it at the seams(entrapment).

I chose not to neutralize after the pickle using (baking soda(environmentally friendly)).
Instead, I opted for a dilution technique via forced water pressure
using a 'pressure washer'. I am pretty confident that brought the acidity level down
to supplied water pH. i.e plenty of fresh water soak-time.

Bake time to drive off any liquids was a full 24 hours in open windy
HOT sun. Seemed a perfect combination.

Hydrogen embrittlement ? Yes, that is a factor. (But) I suspect negligible to none
induced by this cleaning process for this particular application on this particular steel type.

There you have it. An environmentally friendly alternative to store bought de-rusters.

The slurry after process now contains sluffed off cured paint, trace amounts of
petroleum, inert silicates, and dissolved(transformed) iron oxide.

It DOES smell like somebody is making pickles though............

lezesig
'72 850Sp

Great tip! Gonna have to try that real soon. Anyone got a plastic tub big enough for the whole car? ;)

ISeriously though, this can be real helpful down the road so thanks :)

Works well...

I've done this in small batches before. Free tip: don't forget about it, it will dissolve small parts given enough time. :shock:

RUST DISSOLVER

There is a product called EvapoRust I've been trying that is fantastic. Its is relatively inexpensive and widely available.

This stuff works. And, it is completely non-toxic, non-corrosive and REUSABLE! I like to filter it through a funnel and coffee filter before I pour it back in the container but you don't have to.

Ed

I bought a 5-Gal bucket of the stuff

It works well, but it works SLOW. About 5 times slower than the blue chemical marketed as "Metal Prep" but I do notice that rust doesn't come back so quickly when using it.

With Metal prep, the rust starts back in less than an hour so using it requires you to be ready for etch prime and paint.

Back