Things that drive you wild

kmead

Old enough to know better
So it is nearly time for vacation, which means time for some maintenance on our family ride.

We are planning on taking our 2000 Golf which has been my daily to and from work driver. This means it has suffered some deferred maintenance, ok a lot of deferred maintenance :sigh: driving 14 easy miles each day for years in bad weather and good.

On the list is replacing the right tie rod end, all the rotors, pads all around and putting on some low mileage OE used calipers I had bought on Ebay.

Except I was lacking one caliper (the right rear which was suffering the most) so knowing we may be keeping the car only another year I figured a "remanufactured" one would suffice. Off to Napa I go and snag a rebuilt along with a pile of other bits and baubles.

I start with the left rear which takes a while but the used caliper is in good shape and I tidy things up. Proceed to the right rear. I get the reman'd caliper mounted up, it has a tiny bleeder sitting in a collar and the area around where the banjo bolt and sealing washer is all eroded.

So I proceed with the install, start bleeding and it leaks around the banjo, tighten it up and the leak stops so I bleed some more. Things are good, get all the air out and then I close the bleeder and have my wife put some pressure on it to compress any air in the system. Suddenly a jet of fluid goes flying out across the inner fender liner.

Fudge! (only I didn't say fudge...)

So back to Napa in the morning to get another. Ugh. I think I will look at the next one more carefully prior to taking it from the store. No eroded surfaces and hopefully no collared tiny bleeder...

Aargh. Frustrating.

Don't mess around with brakes, even if you're only keeping the car for a year.

Www.germanautoparts.com

I have no affiliation with them, except as a happy customer for about 20 years. High quality, usually OEM, parts at inexpensive prices. I wish they dealt in Italian parts, but they don't.

I keep my 92 Jetta running like a top by buying my parts from them.

Good luck and enjoy the vacation!

Just about every reman rear caliper I've seen for MK4 Golf/Jetta/Beetle is total garbage. You can get new OEM Lucas calipers in the aftermarket. They come in a TRW box and do not include the bracket. The TRW part number is BHN276.

Thanks all.

I think I have ended up with a good one. However I will keep an eye on this one

Our holiday ride plans changed at the last minute, the work our other car needed wouldn't be complete in time for our departure so I had to quickly get the Golf together. I have bought parts from German Auto an d have always been completely satisfied with what I have ended up with. Just no time to get the parts from them in the time I had.

As an aside I have been extremely pleased with the he rear caliper VW chose, the fact that I only have had one fail in 15 years of driving (we are a heavy winter with salt use area) is a testament to the quality of the design. I have considered adapting them to the X and my Coupe in the past as the e brake actually works...

Back