Late model head tools anyone?

BrettM

1981 RHD X1/9
I need to purchase or borrow a set of head tools for the late model X. I have the early set, just not the later set.

I'll of course pay shipping both ways.

It is the head torque tools...

I have a head separator tool. I think the size for the 85 up head bolts is 17mm. The earlier 1500 is 19mm I think.

Unless it is an MWB Performance Head

I have a head separator tool. I think the size for the 85 up head bolts is 17mm. The earlier 1500 is 19mm I think.

MWB ships the perf head with bolts that are 15mm. I have the 19mm for the older engines, never have found a 17mm set and I had to make a 15mm set of wrenches to fit the MWB bolts.

This is a picture of the set TonyK made, mine are very similar since I followed Tony's lead.
p4270158.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures of my 15mm set

Brett,

I used my 19mm set as a template to create 15mm set. After trying to figure out a good way to make the "C" shaped wrench, I decided to get a 20MM wrench for ChrisO's "unknown tools" page and welded a 12pt 15mm head on in place of the 20mm. I figured this was a fair use of the unknown, since it wasn't for an X and would live on as a useful tool.

15mm_head_tools2.jpg

For the straight tool I just used a second 15mm wrench, socket adapter and a length of steel bar. I heated the wrench and bent the end, then welded the wrench and socket adapter to the steel bar.

15mm_head_tools1.jpg

These are obviously not precision instruments. I haven't used the straight one yet, so as you can see I haven't cleaned it up by cutting off the unneeded open end and grinding down the welds a bit. The large "C" shaped wrench was functional in getting the MWB head onto the block for my 78 1500 project. Although I could probably grind down those welds a little more too.

I borrowed a home made tool from a member here for my son's head gasket replacement. I had a copy made locally for $50.00. You want to borrow my copy? Worked great.

Just a thought...

Brett, not sure what job you're doing, but if the cam box is off (or needs to come off the head), then do you need any special tools? The 15mm/17mm head bolts would imply torque to angle types so don't need re-torqueing once you've done a few miles - this means you can sort the head bolts before putting the cam box back. Only if you pre-assembled the cam box to head (eg to sort the clearances at your bench) would make the special tools necessary once you got to the engine. Chances are the cam box base gasket has a leak and your clearances are out in any case, so taking the housing off is on the cards. I might of missed something though :hypno:

Back