Transplant

mgf_zpse765c1fa.png

If you mean an MG - F like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_F_/_MG_TF

... then I have never seen one, much less heard of one. And if I had, then I didn't know what I was looking at.

Here's another...

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mg/bgt/1678681.html

... and I would not have believed it if I saw it. Looks like its set up for off-road rallying with the ride-height and mud flaps. At least it is available here for $50K.

Thanks for the inquiry as the search was interesting... but even though this one found its way here, I can't find any other source online other than the WIKI review.

This post does reminds me of some mid-90s Alfas that managed to sneak into the US through Texas back in the day. I imagined they arrived in Mexico at first and like everything and everyone else... sneaked across the border... HA! Texas does have some rather lax import laws (in many regards).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_GTV_and_Spider

My MGF, is a '97 1.8 vvc, in British Racing Green...Exactly the same as the photo I posted

The K-Series engines, all initially, had a problem of overheating, and warping, due to cost-cutting...After the problems were sorted, the engine is now a peach...145bhp...There is a 160bhp version, also...

The engines are all aluminium(Whoops...Aluminum..!), and are light!
They are fitted to the earlier Lotus Elise...

For a couple of grand, 185-90bhp, street friendly :)

...Thoughts on a transplant..??

:eek:

Now getting the thread back on topic to Fiats :)
Yes, there are some who have used the K-series (and B-series) engines in X-1/9s. Midwest-Bayless even has a "Stage 1" conversion kit to help with such a transplant. Most seem to use the K20...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_F_/_MG_TF

... then I have never seen one, much less heard of one. And if I had, then I didn't know what I was looking at.

Here's another...

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mg/bgt/1678681.html

... and I would not have believed it if I saw it. Looks like its set up for off-road rallying with the ride-height and mud flaps. At least it is available here for $50K.

Thanks for the inquiry as the search was interesting... but even though this one found its way here, I can't find any other source online other than the WIKI review.

This post does reminds me of some mid-90s Alfas that managed to sneak into the US through Texas back in the day. I imagined they arrived in Mexico at first and like everything and everyone else... sneaked across the border... HA! Texas does have some rather lax import laws (in many regards).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_GTV_and_Spider

That's a very rare car, the MGB GT V8...expensive, for what it is!!

Now getting the thread back on topic to Fiats :)
Yes, there are some who have used the K-series (and B-series) engines in X-1/9s. Midwest-Bayless even has a "Stage 1" conversion kit to help with such a transplant. Most seem to use the K20...

The 'K' Series I refer to, is the Rover/MG engine, NOT the Honda..!!

AND it's Fiat based..!!!!!! MG engine into a 1500...:mallet:

Apparently, it's not available in the States, Brett..??

Manic

Would like to see some pix and a little write-up on the Punto GT front brakes conversion.....:hypno:

Sorry Dan, the car is stripped, at the moment, but it's just a matter of shimming the mounts a couple of mm, to coincide with the Punto discs...Not a big job...when I get around to the Exxie, I'll photograph the process...

EDIT: ...Or are my calipers from a FIAT Tipo??? Same setup, basically...

Manic

No, America got the British made Honda aka Sterling and the Rover which eventually became a BMW product.

Not a big fan of the Rover K series engines for a host of reasons. Beyond that the MGF has hydro-gas suspension which has a different set of problems and advantages.

These designed in factors make the MGF much less modifiable in many ways.

As with most motor vehicles, engine power and acceleration is the most easily accessible performance metric, yet in many ways not the key performance factor in a road car. It is FAR more complex than adding power = high performance motor car.

Bernice

I was just wondering if you guys in the States, have the 90's-up MGF..??? :dunce:

Manic

No, America got the British made Honda aka Sterling and the Rover which eventually became a BMW product.

Not a big fan of the Rover K series engines for a host of reasons. Beyond that the MGF has hydro-gas suspension which has a different set of problems and advantages.

These designed in factors make the MGF much less modifiable in many ways.

As with most motor vehicles, engine power and acceleration is the most easily accessible performance metric, yet in many ways not the key performance factor in a road car. It is FAR more complex than adding power = high performance motor car.

Bernice

I only want the engine/box...

Which Lotus gave up on the Rover K and move on to the Toyota 4AG.. series, copy of the Cosworth BDA.

For all that work effort and related to fit a Rover K into the exxe chassis, it is easier and in many ways better with higher performance results to stay with the Fiat SOHC which IMO, is a better design then the Rover K in many ways.

Since you're in the UK the Gen 4 of this Lampredi engine is available which is a twin cam, four valve, Electronic engine management version of this design.

Easier still is to convert this Fiat SOHC to 1600cc with a big valve head. This equals the Rover K's output with better reliability, durability and more.

Any Nationalism involves here or choices made strictly on technical excellence and real world performance history.

The other reasonable choice is Honda K20-K23 which has a proven record and is used as a Lotus Series one conversion improvement over the Rover K. This works for the Vaxhaull VX220 version of the Lotus Elise too.

Bernice

...I think you just answered why!!

...and Caterhams, Land Rover - Who re-engineered the problem with

the head, etc.,

The MG GT V8 I have never seen but I believe...

there was a Triumph TR8 that used either the same or close to the same aluminum Buick or Rover engine.

Ah... from WIKI I get all this:

"The TR8 did not use Triumph's own single overhead cam V8 as found in the Stag due to its weight and service record but instead shared its Rover V8 engine with the Rover SD1. The engine itself was derived from an early 1960s Buick/Oldsmobile all-aluminum V8 215 cu in (3.52 L) that Rover acquired from General Motors in the mid-60s."

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR8

Here is one on STEROIDS...

Here is the one that most folks confuse our late model X1/9's with.

Bottom line, when I first saw a TR8 I coulda sworn it was modified in someone's garage and I haveta say the same for the MG GT V8. I love them both none the less... A real SLEEPER and a surprise to others!

A very interesting thread- I too am a big fan of the MGF, and Rovers in general. I was a Rover Tech back when the MGF was in production and think very highly of the K series engine, and the VVC system is in some ways superior to Honda's VTEC. I have had thoughts of how a K would be in an X and reckon it'd be a good match, light, normally aspirated ( I dislike turbo's) revvy and grunty. Economical too, and in my experience these engines do not deserve the reputation they have. You can pick up a running driving road legal MGF VVC with 160 BHP for £500 or less so not a costly project like a K20.Already mid mounted so the cable gearchange and coolant pipes are all facing the right way. The later MGTF had conventional suspension with coilovers so using the entire rear subframe complete with engine/box/suspension may just be possible.

Here is my £250 example at the War Memorial in Belgium, on the way home from a 2700 mile trip round Northern Europe and a visit to the Frankfurt Motor Show. Survived intact, 125MPH indicated on the Autobahn, averaged over 45 MPG and used no oil or water . I rebuilt the top end of the engine a few months before due to a burnt valve- had just over 120,000 miles on the clock. Used the original type Payen gasket as I don't believe in the MLS type. Car is still running sweet over a year and 10,000 miles later in the hands of it's new owner.
DSC_0159_zps0ccb8446.jpg

...I agree, Tiff...and my tatty MGF, is sat right next to my 1500 exxie - 70,000 something miles on the vvc engine.

I paid just over $300 for the MGF, so I have everything I need(-ish) for conversion...With decat, and decent manifold/rear box, it should push over 155bhp+, a figure that the 1600 SOHC BVH wouldn't, for that sort of money...like I said, for the FIAT SOHC conversion cost, I can achieve 190bhp+ and I can pick the vvc motor up and carry it, it's that light..! :eyepop:

Anyway, Tiff; I'm looking at the MGTF sub-frame, with Bilsteins and hybrid drive shafts...

Manic

Sounds good :headbang:- I will be watching progress with interest! Not sure I'd go for the subframe idea though, I'd prefer mounting the engine and box to the existing frame. I may take a measuring tape next time I'm at the breakers.:hmm:

Back