Headlight motor rebuilder recommendations?

dantm

Low Mileage
Hello All,

I have two headlamp motors which are in good cosmetic shape; one is not working...I'd like them rebuilt and repainted if possible.

Can anybody recommend a rebuilder? I know Midwest Bayless sell these repainted but they are glossy black and I'd like them to be finished in silver if possible...not sure if it makes sense financially...

Or any recommendations? I understand Midwest sends them out to a rebuilder but (understandably) they don't share the source of who does this.

Thanks...

Hello Dan... I don't recall you posting before, Welcome!

I think you have answered your own question though...

1. Send it to M-B and have them do the work for you...

2. Purchase a "new-to-you" one that is guaranteed to work.

3. Disassemble BOTH the good one and the bad one and "stare and compare". Also verify voltage and GROUNDS are good to the motor, and use your Ohmmeter to verify the motor windings are good as well.

4. I dunno why you would be concerned as to the color but a can of Duplicolor (many shades of "factory and natural" colors...) should care for that for ya...

If you need help with the VOM let us know...

Some of the motors are silver, and some are black (AFAICR)

I'd test the diodes first - they fail, motor stops working - can be repaired.. either that or the gearbox is screwed up, etc etc.. does it turn by hand ok?

OH, there is a company here in Canada that does ANY DC motor, for the life of me - I can't remember their name, but their slogan is - if it runs on DC, bring it to K&P - wait!! That's their name! K&P alternators

http://www.kpautoelectric.com/

Here is what I used when I had my heater motor rebuilt

Tony Handler Inc. in LA. rollsbentleyparts "at" verizon.net

Some of the motors are silver, and some are black (AFAICR)

I'd test the diodes first - they fail, motor stops working - can be repaired.. either that or the gearbox is screwed up, etc etc.. does it turn by hand ok?

OH, there is a company here in Canada that does ANY DC motor, for the life of me - I can't remember their name, but their slogan is - if it runs on DC, bring it to K&P - wait!! That's their name! K&P alternators

http://www.kpautoelectric.com/

Thanks -- I talked to them but the pricing is prohibitive (i.e. more than the rebuilt units at Bayless). I think the guys at Bayless may do these for me; or I will buy two of the ones they have already for sale (refurbished).

Back