Is the X 1/9 Emerging From The Shadows?

mbusman

Big Bird
I finally got around to reading some of the handout stuff from BFI. Sports Car Market had an interesting article about an X 1/9 that recently sold at auction for $30k. Don't get your hopes up as this is an anomaly, but it might bring additional X's out of storage.

The author discusses some of the shortcomings of the X, but hits the nail on the head in his description of the X. "the FIAT X 1/9 will remain first and foremost an exceptionally fun and affordable car - and enough of a classic to be respectable. That's right and proper because the design is sound, and the performance, while not breathtaking, is comparable to other cars launched in the same era".

I hope the link below shows up well enough to read the article. If the image shows up, click the image and then use the magnifying glass icon to zoom in.

Mike

Last edited:
Hello "Mr. October"... Nope, the image doesn't expand enough...

Re-submit using the Postimage Uploader below... and then we can enlarge it to a decent size.

Tony,

If you click the image, then mouse over the 1 page article displayed in Photobucket, you'll see the magnifying glass icon appear. If you click that, the article enlarges big time so you can easily read it........even you.

Mike

A Touch Of Sarcasm...

In the side box, under 'Best place to drive one'..."excellent cell phone coverage"!

Our X's will never shed the fix it again moniker :rolleyes:

The Typical Owner status in the inset nails it though, no?
The whole premise that market value is somehow analogous to a car's design merits (or lack thereof) is faulty. "Good" cars don't necessarily bring big money, nor do "bad" cars always come cheaply.

I agree on the status of us owners, but I might add masochist in the description...HA!

The article mentions "cult car status". This could mean that something could trigger a sudden demand for X's like when the Transformer movies made yellow Camaro's hot.

I could use a little more retirement income...:happy:

I get a lot of new found respect for the X1/9 - lots of thumbs up, and a lot of Ferrari owners come and check out my car at the events - they even want to sit inside it!

At our Italian car nights, I get a lot of spectators just looking at it, wondering what the heck it is - and to me, it's come out of the shadows. It's a vintage car, clearly - but it's a cool vintage car with some cool quirks.

My car has been very reliable year after year!

I get a lot of new found respect for the X1/9 - lots of thumbs up, and a lot of Ferrari owners come and check out my car at the events - they even want to sit inside it!

At our Italian car nights, I get a lot of spectators just looking at it, wondering what the heck it is - and to me, it's come out of the shadows. It's a vintage car, clearly - but it's a cool vintage car with some cool quirks.

+1
I got talked to in parking lots twice last week. I love educating the 20 year olds asking what it is.

The collector car market has changed much in recent years. It has become the play ground of money-investory types speculating on what might net them a good return on investment.

Historically, properly restored cars were the way to go, these days survivor cars are having their day in the sun. These were once restoration cores that have now become sought after as they are.

I'm not so sure the owner and driving experience of an x1/9 that has a market value of $3,000,000 would be the same as one that has a market value of $3,000. Once cars become precious, how they are driven-owned and all related changes significantly.

It would be best for the x1/9 to settle into a rational market value enough keep then from being constantly scraped for small problems with owners who are willing to proper resources to keep them well with suppliers that can support them with high quality parts.

Much of the market value of any car is driven by it's trophy status, bragging rights and brand identity. There are plenty of over rated motor cars with outlandish market values simply due to their brand and other which are technically outstanding in every way yet despised and discarded by the collector market.

Ponder for a moment how brand identity is created and why it matters, this is the core of why family siblings like the Lancia Stratos & X1/9 which are far more similar than different have greatly different market values and desirability by car collectors..

Bernice

Why should this be a surprise?

Maybe the surprise is discovering x1/9 ownership reality -vs- urban myth. There are many including too many in the auto media that simply spout out what they want to believe without real world owner experience of a proper x1/9. These folks simply want to spout what they want to believe instead of what is real and factual.

There was a time not too long ago when the exxe served as a daily driver-commuter. Always ran, in over 30 years, none have ever stranded me on the side of the road. All have been driven to an inch of they mechanical life.

Bernice

APOLOGIES to ALL... I forgot that I'll...

never be selling my car and if I ever did it would be because some MORAN totaled it and I would just go out and get another with my "agreed upon value" check... Maybe even two!

I never, ever gave any thought to this car becoming the cornerstone for my retirement. HA!

"A modestly powered car driven to its limit..."

That's the key to enjoying this car!

That's funny. I mean; about the Modestly powered part...

With a CAM, header, exhaust, intake work etc, I suspect I may be pushing 85-90HP.. Still feels like its' missing the 30 HP to be responsive.

I do agree though.. I drive it like I stole it every time I turn the key... But I never came away thinking it was modestly powered...

Value?

What's in a name? I smile every time I drive my car. And I drive my car a lot. Value is intrinsic, and the person who wants your car will pay what he/she can to satisfy a need. Or you keep it despite a killer offer (guy with a lambo recently told me to name my price).

We own these cars mostly for their fun quotient, and the fact we can afford them. I truly could't give a s*#% what the Hemmings or Russo or RM prices are. I'll bet we have waaaay more fun waaaaay more often in our cars than the uber rocket-car guys... I leave mine parked with the top off and don't worry about somebody ding'n it or stealing a $500 shift knob. What's that "worth"?

Bingo!

We own these cars mostly for their fun quotient, and the fact we can afford them. I truly could't give a s*#% what the Hemmings or Russo or RM prices are. I'll bet we have waaaay more fun waaaaay more often in our cars than the uber rocket-car guys...

Well said. I think that is the common bond we here all share and what makes this forum a daily stop over for most of us.

Tony, I have three sons and two grandsons that would never let me sell this car, they constantly joke(?) about the pecking order in my will...

HA! I have threatened to give it to my 20 year old...

Granddaughter of mine... and even though she is becoming a college grad, still thinks it would be FUN to OWN. (HA!) This Christmas I am giving Piper, a set of "Piper Ski Racks" (thanks to Moisa) as a "start" for the things to come.

Since all the "Tree-Hugging-Environmentalists" refuse to allow my car and me to be launched off the U.S.S. Enterprise when I'm gone... I probably need to give it to her soon so I can actually enjoy watching her drive it!

Well, I once owned TWO so you WIN Greg...

Now since the DD Pilot sits out in the weather and my Vette and T-Bucket occupy the garage with the X... I'll need to spend another $1.4 Million to get the garages I need to house more $5000 dollar X1/9s!

HA!

I'm still lookin' though...

My (plan) theory is that I cash my 401K and sell this house and my cabin and BUY the dream house I always wanted and "needed"... put it all in the family "Trust", and then die before the taxes are due or they foreclose!

(I think I better go check my blood sugar as I'm starting to get crazy-er...)

"we have waaaay more fun waaaaay more often in our cars than the uber rocket-car guys..."

Not sure I know what classifies as a Rocket car is, but I have other cars in the Stable that I can't take the grin off my face when at the track...

You are correct, I don't even have working door locks on my X and I really don't care.

Driving Slow Car Fast is Fun... Absolutely
Driving Fast Car to limits... Can't put it to words!

If you aren't sure, suggest you hit a track day event and jump in a GT3, GTR, 458, or Prepped Mustang, C7 etc... Convince me an X is more fun... Maybe the most fun for 5K and below cars... It has it's place in fun factor is all I'm saying.

Back