What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Bolted the driver seat in...

So I could take the X for its "maiden voyage" with the swapped engine. All 4 and 1/2 blocks to the gas station and back. Did great till my throttle cable stuck and I did an impromptu donut in the middle of a busy intersection. The car definitely has power now. Sadly, I found a leak at my water pump. Will be my first ever Honda water pump repair. There is always a first I guess...

:rolleyes:

Replaced the water pump on the k20

I have a new appreciation for changing X19 water pumps and will never complain again after R/R one on a Honda motor. About an hour and 20 minute job NOT including bleeding the system.

Tim - Good to hear it's almost there! Inevitable that there will be teething issues, really. Hopefully they will all be minor ones.

Looked through your linked picassa album again, much nice work putting all together. I can appreciate the time spent fabricating, then deciding to revise it all together (such as the Oil sender remote housing).

Did the windshield wiper motor mod and the headlight mod. Took all day for me to do, in part because I had to leave several times to get various bits and parts.

So far everything works. I can't tell if the lights are significantly better, but the windshield wiper speed is MUCH improved.

Rebuilt my DCOEs

My X had started running rough and I figured it was time to go ahead and swap out the old DCOEs for the newer ones. My old ones had some wear at the throttle shaft and it was causing problems. It runs sooo much better now. Next comes the tuning, I plan to go ahead and do the jetting correctly this time.

Sorry for the delay... The ones I got are Phillips... There are apparently a 1/2 dozen or more brands out there. They are NOT cheap, around $300 for the pair.

Yesterday, I pulled the spare tire out and repaired the original velcro strip, put air in the tire etc. I also re-glued other trim pieces before they fell off. Afterward I went out for a drive and ended up playing follow the leader with a Jag E-type and a MGB...

Ed

an x fan AND a raiders fan!!!
you totally rock dude!!!!!
mikemo90:headbang:

Hah! I get a LOAD of crap from family and friends due to my choice of football teams I like, but oh well ;) I am strongly considering a silver and black color scheme when I repaint the X too...:headbang:

Lmk when you finish yours.Ill ship mine your way so you can start doing the conversion on it for me....lol:excited:

Sadly (like ALL DIY X19 projects I do) it will be a WIP for a little while. When one thing is resolved, another issue creeps up. For example - one of the shifter cables came loose (or broke - I don't know yet till I have a beer and go dig deeper...!) and I was stuck in 5th gear 2/3 the way home. Good news is I have the 6 speed so it is (although barely) possible to start from a roll in in 5th so I made it home. Clutch might be a little glazed...

Sure you want me to build yours??? :excited:

Seriously, I have taken MANY pics, videos, notes, etc so one day I will have a good DIY "Book" for this and would be happy to help out where I can on any conversion folks want to do. What I am finding is the "K20" community is HUGE and most the folks I meet are really great people (but just 1/2 my age most often- but I am an "old man" I guess). The tuner I used today DnR Performance in Haywards, CA has a ton of young "racer" kids running around with their Honda Civics. All of them going ape over the X19-K20 conversion. It was a lot of fun.

I will say there are some changes I am going to do to the basic design and install that Matt first announced. This said, the conversions he has done are likely different in enough detail to make big differences in performance gains. Add in that he has done and continues to do them and so is perfecting the conversions and thus increasing the performance gains, etc as well.

I plan to share my project in detail as a DIY soon so stay tuned...

Sadly (like ALL DIY X19 projects I do) it will be a WIP for a little while. When one thing is resolved, another issue creeps up. For example - one of the shifter cables came loose (or broke - I don't know yet till I have a beer and go dig deeper...!) and I was stuck in 5th gear 2/3 the way home. Good news is I have the 6 speed so it is (although barely) possible to start from a roll in in 5th so I made it home. Clutch might be a little glazed...

Sure you want me to build yours??? :excited:

Seriously, I have taken MANY pics, videos, notes, etc so one day I will have a good DIY "Book" for this and would be happy to help out where I can on any conversion folks want to do. What I am finding is the "K20" community is HUGE and most the folks I meet are really great people (but just 1/2 my age most often- but I am an "old man" I guess). The tuner I used today DnR Performance in Haywards, CA has a ton of young "racer" kids running around with their Honda Civics. All of them going ape over the X19-K20 conversion. It was a lot of fun.

I will say there are some changes I am going to do to the basic design and install that Matt first announced. This said, the conversions he has done are likely different in enough detail to make big differences in performance gains. Add in that he has done and continues to do them and so is perfecting the conversions and thus increasing the performance gains, etc as well.

I plan to share my project in detail as a DIY soon so stay tuned...

Not to worry...lol....ill need to win the lottery first.But definately would love to do the conversion after driving Pete W. MATTs conversion personally couple yrs ago and his is also a 6th spd car.
Keep us posted!!......

I have backup lights...!

Never had the backup lights working in the X and after the engine swap, I had to figure out the reverse switch wiring anyway so I got it working today.

Now people will slow down for me when I am backing up out of a parking stall again...:laugh:

Back