Another "interesting" car for sale...

I like the GTV6 - but I'd lose the US bumpers. I had a Milano 2.5, it was a great car. It was not reliable at all.. but I loved driving it.

There are a few really clean late model GTV6's around Toronto. One guy I know has a 3.0L in his with a gearbox from a Milano (Platinum)

Yeah Myron... you are correct on all accounts...

This has a very odd body style as well with what looks like sliding quarter windows. I am SURE as to what you say about driving the little booger when the stars align and everything is working properly too!

HA!

Ha!

Balance wise, they handle fairly well. It's got a DeDion suspension in the back with rear transaxle (and a very expensive clutch assembly!!) and rear inboard brakes. So cool! You can change brake pads without taking the wheels off!! The Milano and Alfetta coupe (and possibly sedan?!?) were all same/similar platform.

I had a '75 i bought straight out of basic training in '83. Was a neat car but had the 4 cyl in it.
The rear windows rolled down but not all the way, and if i remember it was done with a knob, not the usual window winder

That V6 engine is a musical instrument - food for the soul, magic!

Not that rare Downunder, a reliable car in the right hands but needs a lot of love now due to it's age. Helping a GTV owner with a driveshaft service was interesting as the rubber Giubo donuts used as uni joints on the tail shaft had to be installed with an artisans skill. Get it a little out and the vibration was horrid.

To me it will probably the best V6 engine sound ever, one of the last true Alfas!!! Before the despicable front wheel drives. Great handling in the right hands.

Whilst this link below is Group C Historic racing it is an example of how the car with lesser output can be a giant killer. This Dulux Alfa GTV6 was just too much for the 1977 V8 Ford XB Falcon GT coupe.

BANDWIDTH ALERT!!
Long clip but if you have the bandwidth, worth the 10 mins it goes for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iBnIP69Mr4

Yes that was an under 3 Litre Group C Lap Record for the meeting at Queensland Raceway. If I remember correctly this bit of Aussie racing history was for sale some years ago.

alfas

I had a Milano too. I really miss that car. I have to admit the e39 I replaced her with is missed too.

I miss my Milano Verde, it was a fantastic driver. The 75,s weren't GT,s. They were sprint Veloces. Had one once ,but it was rusted out. Cant find them anymore. I still have parts off of my Verde in the shed and Garage. Including the trans with the limited slip diff.

windows roll down. I've got 2 GTV6's really advanced cars for their time,dual overhead cams, engines are bullet proof, rear trans axle. Heard tho in some countries they are restricted from parking on the street overnight due to people kept awake by the sound of them rusting

AFAIK - the 2.5L and. 3.0 used in the Milano and GTV6 were SOHC engines with rockers for the exhaust (direct tappet over intake), not DOHC.

The engine in the 164 is a DOHC if I remember correctly.

Either way, great sounding engine - but to me, the Dino 2.0L or 2.4L are the best sounding 6 cylinder engines ever.. Oh wow! What noise :)

Yes! They were a strange twin bank SOHC arrangement with a pushrod for the exh and a belt for the intake if my grey matter is firing correctly today, the first DOHC version of this engine appeared much later powering the Alfa Romeo 164. The 2-valve engine ended its life in the Alfa 155

- but to me, the Dino 2.0L or 2.4L are the best sounding 6 cylinder engines ever.. Oh wow! What noise :)

The Alfa V6 Busso engine was named after the genius who designed it, Giuseppe Busso, he was a technical designer at both Alfa Romeo and Ferrari and as far back as the 1940's was into creating racing car engines. Some say he died of a broken heart when his Alfa Romeo V6 ceased production ( he died 3 days later)

65° or the 60° Dino? Not to be pedantic WRT the 65° Dino is it a "true V6"? The 65° had a separate crank pin for every connecting rod, the crank pins were offset by 55 degrees within every cylinder pair to ensure an even firing order and an even distance between firing pulses per cylinder bank for the engine. The later 65° is a better breathing engine due to the flatter intake runners, which was the intent of the extra 5° to create the space at the top of the engine configuration. There have been many other iterations of the bank angle with Buick 90° and VW 10° Vee angles etc etc. The 90°was Buick being cheep to take advantage of production-line machinery set up for their V8 engines (for which 90° is optimal). The other extreme is the odd Volkswagen VR6, with only one head it seems more like a straight six but is classed as a V6.

The optimal angle to minimize vibrations in the V6 is 60°, use one crankpin per cylinder for a smooth ignition 120° ignition pattern, to me a true V6. But that is just banter from me, a point of discussion of how do you classify something that looks similar to a pure V6. I can't agree with you about the Dino having the 'best' V6 sound but you may find it interesting that glorious sounding Fiat, Alfa and Ferrari engines came from the pen of the same designers. How they intertwined during their working lives is a fascinating bit of history.

Great Italian sound and a tight circle of minds - Luigi Bazzi, Vittorio Jano, Aurelio Lampredi, Gioacchino Colombo and Giuseppe Busso. The Ferrari 125 V12 was credited to Colombo ( it's called the Colombo engine and the best sound of that era ) but he did not do it by himself as Luigi Bazzi lead the project. From what I have read the father of the Alfa V6, Busso, had a hand in creating the engine, he was technical director for Ferrari in 1946. So long ago now and with the bravado of Italian story telling it will make it hard to know who had what influence.

I had never heard one in the flesh myself but the Alfa V6 was originally designed for the executive saloon The Alfa 6, originally with 6 single Dell'Orto carburetors. I had been told it sounded like sex on wheels, notably it was said to be an absolute nightmare to keep those six carb's tuned.

The 60° V6 Dino engine was credited to Vittorio Jano, the 60° design incorporated some of his previous ideas from the Lancia Aurelia which, as found in the later Alfa GTV 6, had the innovative combination transaxle with the gearbox, clutch, differential, and inboard-mounted brakes and later a De Dion rear end. Alfredo "Dino" Ferrari himself suggested the development of a V6 engine to his father in 1955. Soon afterwards, Alfredo fell very ill, while in hospital he discussed technical details with Jano, Dino would never see the engine completed, he died soon after at the age of 24. We can engineer a 'better' car but the complexity of the intricate machine that is the human body eludes us still. Dino suffered from muscular dystrophy, we still haven't cracked that one.

Another weird but true snippet is the Alfa 6 saloon was the basis for the Bertone Delfino concept car. Like the X 1/9 another Bertone wedge body shape, predating cars like the Subaru SVX. To me everyone is influenced by someone else in automotive design from what has come before.

Where did Busso's career start - at Fiat designing Aviation engines where Luigi Bazzi designed aero engines during World War I, a fascinating guy.

Last edited:
Back