Transplant

Which Lotus gave up on the Rover K and move on to the Toyota 4AG.. series, copy of the Cosworth BDA.

For all that work effort and related to fit a Rover K into the exxe chassis, it is easier and in many ways better with higher performance results to stay with the Fiat SOHC which IMO, is a better design then the Rover K in many ways.

Since you're in the UK the Gen 4 of this Lampredi engine is available which is a twin cam, four valve, Electronic engine management version of this design.

Easier still is to convert this Fiat SOHC to 1600cc with a big valve head. This equals the Rover K's output with better reliability, durability and more.

Any Nationalism involves here or choices made strictly on technical excellence and real world performance history.

The other reasonable choice is Honda K20-K23 which has a proven record and is used as a Lotus Series one conversion improvement over the Rover K. This works for the Vaxhaull VX220 version of the Lotus Elise too.

Bernice

Sorry Bernice, didn't answer your question...A LITTLE bit of Nationalism, but really, because I have an MGF with corrosion.

The engine is superb, and sounds nice too, when free-flowing...Performance in an exxie, should be sub 6 seconds to 60mph, even with minimal tuning, as the 160 VVC car is 6.9 secs...and at least 100+kgs(220+lbs) heavier than the 1500 X...

http://youtu.be/Xctk5n4esT8

Manic

Last edited:
After a V-E-R-Y long time, finishing a Café-Racer for Bike Shows(and winning 1st place trophy, first time out.!), my attention turns back to the X19...I've just pulled the engine/box out of the MGF, so over the next few weeks, I hope to look at the transplant..!

Manic

Curious to see pics of the motor/trans set in the X chassis. What engine management will you be using to achieve the HP goal?

...I would have been using an Emerald ECU, porting/flowed head, Jenvey direct to head, throttle bodies,etc...

However...

I've just bought a BVH from a tipo, and a crank - for the stroker conversion...Arghhhh..!!!

Back