Stressful Day

tim5055

True Classic
Well, yesterday was a beautiful day here in SC. The X was in the shop so I figured I'd take the X's roommate, which is a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible out for a spin. She belongs to a friend who does not have garage space. You can see the car HERE. Now, that is an old photo as a previous owner (between that photo and my buddy) re-painted it and did not restore the Indy 500 lettering.

So, a quick stop at a gas station (500 cubic inch, 8.2 litre engines are thirsty) and off I went. Not two miles from the gas station - what is that noise????

Pulled off the road to discover that the R/R had blown out. When it did it twisted the fender skirt and jammed it into place. No getting that sucker off, and if I did it wouldn't help. No spare or tools.

What I thought of as a nice day turns really cold standing next to the road waiting for a flat bed that can actually handle an aircraft carrier.

Ah well, I guess it's time to start looking for a spare rim......

Sorry to hear your misfortune. Any reason to put you on the side of the road is bummer.

I once owned a 72 Elderado and yes, it sure drank a lot of fuel. I loved the car anyways.

How long was your wait? I waited an hour and 20 Monday morning, gave up and drove off without alt/waterpump.
I'm not saying that's unreasonable, I just don't know what normal is.
What polar opposites! An X and a land yacht!

I gotta say... My brother-in-law sold his Porsche...

911 Targa ('76, I think) and bought a Jeep CJ-whatever. Kinda like moving from Hawaii to Alaska... I thought he'd put that thing on its side when he tried to take his first corner!

Driving that Caddy after being used to driving an X has got to be intimidating to start with. I betcha could place FOUR X1/9's in the same "footprint" of one Caddy Eldo! HA!

The same brother-in-law was given a mid '80's Lincoln Town Car and when his family came over for Christmas... after a while I asked his wife where he was. She said he's still out there trying to DOCK the car!

HEY... you did NOTHING wrong, stuff happens. That skirt can be straightened and repainted, as well as any trim restored... and wheels can easily be found. Hopefully they have COMPREHENSIVE on that car and that'll make things go easier.

BTW... its s'posed ta RAIN here today and FLOOD! Actually looking forward to it!

I wonder if we could use this type of emergency belt?

The Power Twist Plus V-belt. You take links out to adjust to desired length. They show it in use on an engine under the "Commercial Marine" application page.

What do we need? 3/8"? They sell thru [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLG38JQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p469_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0QH3MRA67VNZN6K5G4G0&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop"]Amazon[/ame]. Throw a 5ft section in your road side tool kit and it may save the day at some point? Maybe?

How long was your wait? I waited an hour and 20 Monday morning, gave up and drove off without alt/waterpump.
I'm not saying that's unreasonable, I just don't know what normal is.
What polar opposites! An X and a land yacht!
They showed up at just about the hour an 40 mark. I give the guy credit because he took a lot of time making sure it did not bottom out going on/off the flatbed.

Driving that Caddy after being used to driving an X has got to be intimidating to start with. I betcha could place FOUR X1/9's in the same "footprint" of one Caddy Eldo! HA!

HEY... you did NOTHING wrong, stuff happens. That skirt can be straightened and repainted, as well as any trim restored... and wheels can easily be found. Hopefully they have COMPREHENSIVE on that car and that'll make things go easier.
It is a big change to drive the Caddy after the X. Open the trunk on the Caddy and you would swear you could fit the X inside as a spare. That trunk is big enough to have a bar and dance floor.

Crossing my fingers, but it looks like the skirt isn't bent up, Just the lever that takes it on/off.

Well, some good news. Once they got it up on the lift they were able to pop the fender skirt off without damage. The mechanic was able to straighten out the parts that bent when the tire blew. the skirt is now A-OK!

Won't get the car until tomorrow as the rims use a 90 degree valve stem that they didn't have in the shop.

On another positive note I found a spare rim. Apparently GM had a special rim for the 68 - 78 Cadillac Eldorado and the Olds Toranodo. The ones I could find on line we in the $150 - $200 range. Found one on E-Bay for $29 with $23 shipping. Yea!

Good to hear all is well

Sounds like a crappy day Tim. Glad it all worked out. :)

Well... Since I only have ONE belt, I just carry a spare.

In Jeff's case here... his alternator case cracked at the mount so he might have been able to limp home, but there would be a good change of throwing any belt again, anyway.

I never tried this... but I understand back in the day a lady could sacrifice one leg of her hosiery and it makes a great temporary fan belt. These were probably used on Model A's though...

Congrats!
Well, when it comes dow to it I really won't spend anything. My buddy reimburses fully for anything I do.

So far it will be:

Cash tip to the wrecker driver
4 tires, mount, balance
Spare Rim
1 tire, mount, balance

Towing was on AAA. Every year I wonder if we really need it. This year the wife has had a flat changed, a jump and now I was towed. I guess if you run the numbers we have lost money through the years, but standing on the side of the road with no idea about tow companies it was nice to just make one phone call.

So why is the X in the shop??

What's up with your X? Was the paint to shiny? ;)

What's up with your X? Was the paint to shiny? ;)
Nah, paint is just right.

I hate bleeding brakes and had a leak from one of the rear calipers. So she went in to replace both rear calipers, rear pads and rotors (it looks like the one leaking was sticking also) and stainless brake hoses all the way around.

Just had my own rear brake issues, but on a 1992 accord

My son came home and told me his 92 Accord was making a grinding noise. The pass side rear pads were completely gone and eating into the rotor. I am sure that noise didn't just start that day, but he claimed that was the first he heard it.

Naturally I couldn't get the caliper piston to screw back in. It looked original, very crusty and it was probably pretty unhappy about getting completely extended. Ended up taking to a local shop and having both rears replaced at great expense. :(

AMEN for the AAA... I also included my granddaughter...

on my membership while she is away at college.

(I had to lie a little bit saying she lives with us otherwise...) but it sure takes the worry and headaches off my back. When she need a tow last year I was able to add her to my policy for 15 dollars and WHAA-LA! She's a member in good standing! I never got out of bed!

Renewing her for the next year was $75 bucks but well worth it. Her battery was completely dead, they came out and tested it and sold her a new one on the spot. I wasn't even called this time... just thanked!

I gotta admit though, I have had the same thoughts... but with three "sporty" cars... who am I kidding! I'm the guy that uses the premiums of 5 others that don't for their services!

I know, I know... but I'm sure your son will pay you...

back in ways you never imagined!

Ya can't blame a kid for not hearing things go wrong... at least not until one of their ear-plugs from their Iphone falls out while they are listening to what we useta call music...

HA!

Been there many times...

Back