Is the X 1/9 Emerging From The Shadows?

piper

papa....
let her drive once and again, always mentioning the siblings and their desire for the car. and... when it's time to work on the car, make her roll up her sleeves!!!! she seems as though she might get it, with the "piper" rack you bought from me and all.
but as any fiat owner knows you have to respect what you love.
as anything in life!!
mikemo mike moiso(a)
a big ha

Most Here Have More Than One Car

We as enthusiasts like all sorts of cars, but we can only obtain those within reach.

I think the underlying theme here is we have cars that suit our needs (and our pocketbooks). I have a Mustang GT that is a great highway cruiser and under the right conditions, a blast to drive. However, on a warm sunny day, if I'm going to use back roads, no question the X gets fired up.

I drive the Mustang at 2/10ths and the X at 9/10ths and wear a sh*t eating grin while driving either of them.

Just my $0.02 if anyone wants to listen...

I guess I'm just getting old... as the X is my most...

comfortable car in so many regards.

My 330hp 69' Vette I have not found the limits to and it scares me to even try.

My Model T with a 300hp Dual Quad 303 Olds and 4 speed hydro pulls the front tires off the ground in first and second and I'm too damn SCARED to push it any further. At 60 mph you realize that anything but a 5 point harness will not stop you from going through the windshield and a helmet and leathers are probably called for. Not Fun except to intimidate and annoy others. HA!

Although small driving my little "slow car" fast is a great comfort... and after spending over $6 million dollars over the past 31 years to get where I am today... I need to pay respect to the medical insurance my company and the VA have provided... and drive somewhat ASSERTIVELY, but not AGGRESSIVELY.

The six million dollar papa Tony?

Although small driving my little "slow car" fast is a great comfort... and after spending over $6 million dollars over the past 31 years to get where I am today.

Are you sure you are going slow Tony? Maybe you are just in slow motion. Listen for that same sound you hear when you are running or jumping.
http://youtu.be/7OXvkpmiJBI?t=39s

Jim,

You know that video is old....real old. First, the bell bottom jeans. Second, the straight ahead approach place kicking. I think George Blanda was the last of the straight approach kickers. For the last 30-40 years, they've all been soccer style sidewinders.

But at least Lee Majors saved the world again. It's the bottom line that counts.

Mike

As a former X 1/9 owner of 15 years and 175K miles, I always found it a special car. The game has moved on of course, but the X 1/9 remains charming. I just wish more had survived.

At a recent Motorsports Gathering that my Ferrari group puts on, a couple of X's showed up. I haven't been around one for a while. I forgot just how small they are! My Challenge Stradale was like a house boat!

I was speaking with one owner and relayed my long term ownership experience, all the while he was 'enthusiastically' looking at the Stradale. I let him and his boy sit in the car and take some pictures. He then asked me if I wanted to drive his X. I almost didn't want to, as I wanted my memories to be the fond ones I had from back in the day.

I drove it anyway and tried to put my frame of reference not in the Ferrari world of today, but in the '80's world of Fiat, but it was tough. Back in the day, did I really believe that the shifting wasn't this vague and the 'beer tap' shifter a good idea? Did I used to think this was quick? Were the pedals always this far apart? Did any of that matter?

At the end of the day, it does exactly what it should..... put a smile on my face! Has the game moved on? Sure it has. I had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari 275 GTB/4 and felt the same way. Game has moved on. It really wasn't that fast. Nor did it handle all that well. Pretty? Yes. $3M pretty. That's a question for you and your banker. My F40 or CS would wax it in every category. But I still had a big smile when I got out.

The thing with vintage cars like the X1/9, you can have huge fun and not really be at 'go to jail' pace. When I try to get the same level of excitement out of supercars, the speeds and limits are so high it is almost impossible on a public road. You need a track, and a good sized one at that.

You guys really have brilliant little cars. If you sort them and keep them maintained, they will remain the foundation of the mid engined Italian experience.

Back