Resurrection of the white 128 racer

Brett

True Classic
It's a roller!!
1A727EE7-922E-446A-BC5B-9507279B8740.jpg

Not suspension I would drive on - two coilover springs on each rear strut since we don't have the original leaf spring, nor any real coilover pieces except the springs and perches on the housings so to make it tall enough with no real adjustment ability required the two stacked springs... and on the front, bare struts with no springs, with PVC pipe between the strut housing and the tophat to give us just enough clearance.
But it'll get it on and off the trailer.

Now to order some real coilover pieces... I'll post more after I get it home and start making progress...

progress

This should be a fascinating story. What is your vision (build plan) for this car?

carl

This should be a fascinating story. What is your vision (build plan) for this car?

carl

A good question - and may become somewhat less fascinating...
When I first decided to pick it up, what I really wanted to do was to meld it with a new 500e using a wrecked donor. Basically complete drivetrain and electronics from the 500e, dash and front seats from the 500e, everything else from the 128. A new car in a classic body.

Given the other projects I already have lined up, the lack of space I have for this number of projects, the lack of windows and other pieces I don't have...the issue with the roll bar making a back seat not an option without cutting it out...etc...
My current thinking is that I will clean it up, address the light surface rust that is developing, install coilovers on all four corners, install a fresh 1500 and 4 speed trans, exhaust, etc. make sure brakes, etc. are all good. Basically get it where it runs and drives, and then see if someone else is interested in taking it over and taking any proceeds and set them aside for a more street suitable 128 for my own use.

visions

That first vision is pretty dramatic. Even without a radical engine change, just getting all the small bits (windows, interior, etc) is a long haul. Fortunately my wagon came with all the glass and a dashboard but no other interior bits and it has taken more than a year to find all that stuff and even now I'm running home made door panels, Miata seats an no headliner. I can see where a full welded in cage would be a real pain to work around. My track day 128 had a bolt in rollbar, the wagon I have now was envisioned as a real world, go to Home Depot, urban banger and the 1500 motor I installed is more than adequate for the job.

Your second vision is not nearly as exciting, but, knowing when to change directions on a project is a smart move.

carl

if only

If only you were closer... Oregon is a tad far for me I'm afraid, or I'd be waiting out front of your house now ! :)

save your pennies

I've never been to the Butchart Gardens but have always wanted too. After I get it running, maybe the wife and I could put it on a trailer and make a small vacation trip up your way... :)

I've never been to the Butchart Gardens but have always wanted too. After I get it running, maybe the wife and I could put it on a trailer and make a small vacation trip up your way... :)

Well, we'll meet you there and you can charm my wife into it! i just brought home an old Rover 2000 TC that has her looking at me like something she should send to the thrift store, but in a garden setting......

Old picture of your "new" car

Brett,

Here is a picture (OK it's a Photoshop) of your car I made many years ago. ;)

rome-09-1.jpg

hay I saw this car in person the other day!

It is 100% re-stored.

Yep. That brought a few smiles to the crowd as well.

it was being stored again next to what looks will be a fun X. (striped and roll caged)

Rod

Fantastic!

Looks pretty good considering it's been sitting for a while. I'm glad someone finally snapped it up. My stables were way too full to try to make the effort. It was a very clean body and a great little racecar. I'm looking forward to seeing it brought back to life!

Back