850 Spider rubber mat plugs

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
As the 850 finally starts to come together, I'm ready to start doing some interior work.

I have a new set of rubber mats (including the front trunk) that I need to lay down, but have an issue. When I had the body restored the restorer welded in new sheet metal all around the interior bucket and front trunk. As a result I have neither the two front trunk drain holes, nor any holes to use for the rubber mat plugs that link the rubber mats to the body.

I'm asking for advice on the best way to put my mats down so they stick in place: I see that Midwest Bayless has NOS plugs, Oberts and Mr Fiat both have new. Do I need the plugs? If so how many please and where approximately did they go on the original car? Should I drill holes for the plugs, then rust treat them somehow? What size holes?

Or should I use some sort of adhesive? I'm concerned about creating a water-trapping system under the mats, and the inherent rust issue.

Sorry for all the questions, have a bunch of Fiat manuals but didn't see this info in any of 'em.

Got holes in your mats?

The stock rubber plugs go in the corners, do your mats have the holes?

In your situation, I'd be reluctant to drill new holes. What about some small rare-earth magnets? You can buy them in different sizes, and maybe paint them black or body color. They are very strong and might work with the mat between the magnet and the body.

Another option is self-adhesive velcro circles. I'd be worried about this option pulling the paint off though.

Those missing drain holes are concerning, without them you may have water pool under the front trunk mat.

Greg

The mats I purchased from Mr Fiat have neither the holes precut nor any dimples to mark where holes should be cut.

I'm concerned about rust but am starting to think Velcro may be the way to go, better than adhesive.

On the brighter side, got the car running for 10-15 minutes yesterday! Timing is finally set properly, (was only 180 degrees off!) but appears I have either a valve issue or carb issue. Definitely have a problem with fuel, so going to siphon out tank this week and replace with all new. I think my tank is 4/5th 2 year old gas, 1/5th new. The car appears to run even with fuel line pinched, so it's too rich. (wish I was)

So superb progress, there is hope.

Back