What's the deal on Plasti-dip for cars?

carl

True Classic
I think at least one of you has Plasti-dipped your X, what was involved and how much did it cost?

Jeff will weigh in

I am sure Jeff will weigh in when he sees this, but here is the "Dip Your Car" website. Lots of good info and videos there.

I thought about doing this to my 85 that has been in primer since I bought it, but it seems the recommendation is "dipping" over a real paint job. The dip will come off primer, but it can take a lot more effort.

I think at least one of you has Plasti-dipped your X, what was involved and how much did it cost?

I did the plasti-dip rattle can version on my x19 hood when I did the vent cut-out mod after installing the supercharger

cpm_cgbY9h7PIVjxTG6KReORDl-jyhoZuoEFQyOskyu2tHoKLPrskGMHd8S3ksjWL9pkpI3BV8RzQg=w5760-h3600-no

Did you like it? Was it easy? Results?

;)

Haha! I liked it. Cheap, easy and looked good...rattle can leaves a texture that can be a tad course, so it doesn't like sponges when you wash it. Otherwise all good. That said, I sold the car like 3 weeks after I painted it so not sure how it is holding up now...I will ask the new owner next time I see him.

I liked it. Looked really cool for a few months. Was easy to get a decent looking job. It's been two years I think and it started to wear off quite a while ago already. It looks hideous now but the whole car is a disaster so I don't care!
I would do it again if I had a car that needed something but wasn't ready for a "real" paint job.
file_zps4a1d657f.jpg

file_zps2826f9b4.jpg

file_zps474bba9d.jpg

file_zpsc4ea9168.jpg

Did you get the car dipping "kit" or just use rattle cans?

Would it benefit from a clear coat? Here in Vancouver we have a place called Xcoat that puts a clear coat over any paint for about $400 Canadian. Not sure if it would add a shine or not. Just a thought. Never been a big fan of Plastidip. Good luck,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered two gallons (barely broke into the 2nd one) of pure dip off the internet and got some thinner (Xylene I think?) and used a cheap $40 sprayer.
If I did it again I'd probably do a mix, there's nice gun metal Audi that I liked floating around on youtube that those Dip guys did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Ta1KTrzqg
But honestly I think it's best for "nice" cars that have a decent paint job and you just want to goof around with something for fun and be able to take it off again. My son and I have been playing with a $15 Harbor freight spray gun and he did a pretty nice job on his engine bay, he's planning on shooting the whole car soon.
I think I had less than $200 in the job and most of that was the cheap sprayer.

There is a Corvette that comes to the local car meet every year - black plastic dip. He says he has to resparay EVERY year to maintain it.

As far as I can tell, it's not a permanent solution, and will not hold up over time.

I used it on my Volvo bumper, precisely becuase it can be peeled off in sections. I wanted to play with a variety of reversible mods. As Jeff pointed out, it's typically used as a temporary cover over already good paint. Seems extragant to me to do an entire car only to peel it after a few months, but there are many people who do just that...

Jeff... this actually turned out GREAT~

I imagine your harsh weather and all plays havoc with it especially as a DD.

I hadn't realized (or remember seeing) your car once it was complete. I am impressed~!

I imagine your harsh weather and all plays havoc with it especially as a DD.

I hadn't realized (or remember seeing) your car once it was complete. I am impressed~!

I was too. It looked really cool but the rust was back in weeks, literally it was bubbling back up that fast and I thought I had done a pretty job going after it.
It wore thin on the horizontal surfaces, hood/trunk, due to sun maybe. My car did see some winter but not as much as previous years, any spills of oil or gas will eat it quickly, but it sure looked cool for a hot minute.
If you redid it every spring it might be okay but that becomes pretty high maintenance, it's a lot of work to spray a car even with plasti-dip.

yep, looking back at those pictures makes me want to start over, dang that looked good, I'm afraid my car is too far gone though, I have a hard decision to make, save it or scrap it. Today driving home from work in the beautiful fall air with the top off made me want to save it no matter what, but there's more out there.

Back