NBR NOS 2016

head

Thanks Steve!
1500cc with a Tipo BVH incl. mods following YOUR instructions!
(CR ~10.4:1 , dual 36DCNF, euro carb 1500 cam)

now if that was how the X1/9 came from the factory I bet they would still be selling them today!!

Very cool!!!!

::smiles::

Very cool!!! So nice to see our X's passing Porches. Nicely done, a treat to watch. If it were not raining here, I would have to take mine out for a run. Lol. All the best,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Good Lord.. a pure stock 1300 - 4 Speed...

No helmet, no goggles and no driving gloves... kicking butt over all comers except for the one stupid Porsche that wouldn't git outta yur way in turns.

WOW!

But didn't I count 5 speeds...

Wow that certainly scoots along for a 1500... and really such a mild build too, it must be developing some good torque.

Nice smooth driving too BTW. :thumbsup:

Do you mind if I share this on our Australian and International X19 facebook pages? to show a few people that you don't need a K20 to be quick...

SteveC

sharing

Go ahead, Steve.
I could also share some additional infos about the engine.
BTW: Ulix has driven it some weeks ago

Well after watching all your Nordschleife laps one things for certain, your changing gears maybe 500 revs earlier, and getting into a higher gear much quicker now than what you did in 2012... your also up to 20km/h faster thru some sections now too...so the engine has much more torque than it had previously.

2016 lap three after you went across the bridge at Adenau, the next series of bends when you were chasing the Alfa, must have been oil on the circuit there from the MG parked off to the right a couple of corners further on... pretty fast thru there to get that sideways...:eek:mg: must have been a butt clenching moment!

When did you change the cylinder head? between 2015 to 2016 ?

What did you think of it Ulix?

Posted to the Australian X19 owners facebook page... over 150 views and 8 likes in 24 hours.:headbang:

SteveC

that video's awesome

Great driving, good camera angle capturing the interior and track. Clean sound without added music or narration. Perfect! Really making me want an X1/9 in that green to go with my Scorpion...

Do you have a build thread for this car?

This is a very nice 1500.
Ralf and I used to run the 'ring together at the same speed.
Him knowing the track very well (much better than me) and me having more power with the 1600, very high CR, bigger carbs.
It was the perfect match, if I made a mistake, I could catch back up with the faster car.
This was with his old head though, I think I broke my engine before he got the new head on.

I drove it recently on the street and it is a great motor. Very tractable (except for a slight lean condition off idle), very wide power band and still very rev happy. The carbs feel spot on and everything works as a package.
From the butt dyno, I would say it is almost as fast as my 1600 was.

It works very well with his light car (I extimate 1870 lbs.) and a stock ratio 5-speed. This coupled with Toyo 888s and a driver who really knows the track well allows him to keep the momentum way up, which is key on the ring with a low power car.
The event in this film is great (I was there too in my 635) because most other cars are also old, have street tires and inexperienced drivers.
So this is the only event for us where we can slice through traffic like a hot knife through butter. :)
All other NBR trackdays feature GT3s, M3s and very few older cars.

Here is a video of the same event 5 years ago, showing the two of us doing some "slicing". :)
I could kick myself though for setting my camera to the wrong resolution by accident, so the movie is almost unwatchable.
But it also makes us look like heros from passing all those slower cars. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAenUivcalw

As a side note, watching his video made me appreciate how crappy my transmission ratios (4-speed with long 3.76 final drive) are. Huge jump from 3rd to 4th, a stock ratio 5-speed seems perfect in contrast.
Luckily I am changing to a 5-speed with my new engine.

Well after watching all your Nordschleife laps one things for certain, your changing gears maybe 500 revs earlier, and getting into a higher gear much quicker now than what you did in 2012... your also up to 20km/h faster thru some sections now too...so the engine has much more torque than it had previously.

2016 lap three after you went across the bridge at Adenau, the next series of bends when you were chasing the Alfa, must have been oil on the circuit there from the MG parked off to the right a couple of corners further on... pretty fast thru there to get that sideways...:eek:mg: must have been a butt clenching moment!

When did you change the cylinder head? between 2015 to 2016 ?

What did you think of it Ulix?

Posted to the Australian X19 owners facebook page... over 150 views and 8 likes in 24 hours.:headbang:

SteveC

You`re absolutely right, Steve!
I modified the Tipo head (In39,5/Ex33 / chamber29cc) in the Winter 2014/2015 and changed it in spring (finally just before I went to the Ring). That year with CSC header - less torque in the mid range certain power at higher revs. Since I have driven this header for >15 years and a little crack had appeared, I mounted an original one combined with an Abarth muffler. Simply because I wanted to check how the difference in the mid range would feel (as Ulix has mentioned a couple of times to me "..the tubes are too short..") - well: he was right, and that is what you just have seen at the shift point in 2016 in consequence.
Regarding lap three: oil and/or water..it has been really butt clenching.:sad: I guess also for the Alfa since we were both going slower for the next corners.
Thanks for sharing the video AND all your advices & tricks over years.
Ralf
BTW: The motor has 77kW at ~6100 on the dyno, not bad though. Originally the chamber was calculated for an 1600 (->CR 11:1), but plans have changed after talking too much to Ulix :wall:

103 at the wheels with a standard factory euro cam and standard factory exhaust manifold is still pretty good...factory the 1500 euro carb is about 66/70 at the wheels standard, so that's a healthy %age increase

my guess is the torque curve is nice and 'flat and fat' ...which in truth is what matters more than the HP number anyway, as it's the torque that makes the car easier and quicker to drive.

So toyo's for grip, a standard ratio five speed (but you could really could use a shorter fifth...you know you can get a shorter ratio fifth from a 105tc or regata 100s trans) do you have any other improvements to the suspension or brakes?

Some pics of the car Ralf...

SteveC

Back