1982 front air dam (spoiler)

Crusader

True Classic
Good evening everyone. I have a question regarding the front air dam (spoiler) on my 82. I have the plastic piece in the middle, however behind it is nothing. Should there be a middle metal piece behind? Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope

Hi Crusader

The late model spoilers were just plastic. They mounted to the body at the corners and were hung from tabs on the bottom of the grill to support the center.

Once the tabs broke off the grill the spoiler would begin to sag. So be sure not to hit that snapping turtle the size of a sewer lid that is crossing the road. I did, the turtle came out of that battle better than my spoiler. :(

Here is an old thread where a few fixes for droopy spoiler syndrome are covered.

Last edited:
Hi Crusader

The late model spoilers were just plastic. They mounted to the body at the corners and were hung from tabs on the bottom of the grill to support the center.

Once the tabs broke off the grill the spoiler would begin to sag. So be sure not to hit that snapping turtle the size of a sewer lid that is crossing the road. I did, the turtle came out of that battle better than my spoiler. :(

Here is an old thread where a few fixes for droopy spoiler syndrome are covered.

Thanks Jim. Great solution. I will be doing this. Much appreciated,

Hey Mr. Rabbit... a few other ideas...

1. My '79 came with support bars the attached to the upper grill mounting screws and ran down and behind the grille to the lower mounting tabs... and also supported the spoiler.

Prior to '79 the spoilers were steel and the designers rightfully decided to make them out of a flexible rubber so when ya hit a parking block... the spoiler would not be damaged.

GREAT IDEA... LOUSY EXECUTION!!!

Now the spoiler MIGHT survive a bump but it usually breaks off the tabs. With mine... and the 3 or 4 support bars, the spoiler would be OK but the grille usually was cracked and broken...

My solution was to KEEP the support bars but LOOSE the lower plastic tabs! The grille is supported well enough by its upper mounts without being tied to the spoiler... and the spoiler is supported by the support bars.

BUT... it appears no one else has even mentioned these support bars. If you don't have them they are easy to make out of 1/2 inch by 3/16 inch mild steel bar... available at big box stores. Aluminum would be fine as well, drill two mounting holes and then bend the ends to follow the curvature and done...

2. The STEEL or ALUMINUM spoilers from HENK are awesome and fit the late-models perfectly so that you would think they are the stock rubber in the showroom. Mind you, the early model steel spoilers do not work well nor do they have the "correct tabs" to mount the lower portion of the grille... which ya don't wanna do anyway.

If you do you do use an older stocker, you'll find it sits about 3/8ths of and inch behind the elephant ears and appears to be missing its "cover".

I did this once and decided I would "cover" the old stocker with a hollowed-out old plastic spoiler. I then used "construction adhesive" and glued it down on top. PERFECT and I did not affix the grille along the bottom... painted it all trim black and it looked great.

Just some other options I thought I would share, hth...

Another option..

Is to adapt an earlier (75-78) grille and air dam to your '82. That's what I did as it gives it a better look in my opinion.

Not much to adapt either, just find the bits need to bolt it all on.

Thank you, I now have some great options. Tony, would you have a pic of the mounting bars? Rooster, I have the American bumpers on mine, would the 1st gen grille and air dam work? Thanks again,

Hey, technically the 75-78 grille is a 2nd gen. Here is a quick pic (don't mind the cute kiddo)

1930881_37173771411_1260_n.jpg

This is my '82 with 2nd gen grill with the plastic air dam. Since then, I added a steel air dam. The 2nd gen grille has the same cut outs for the bumper shocks.

OK, ya made me get up, pack a lunch and head out the garage...

Please excuse dust and dirt...

This foto lit up the support brace nicely...

Look closely at the lower mounting screws in this foto and note I removed the plastic grille tabs (along with horizontal vane) and the brace is screwed only to the to the spoiler... The spoiler is now free to move without tearing up the grille.

Let me know if you need more explanation... Oh... and ONE last thing about the braces. I have cared for this car since 1983 and I doubt seriously the PO added these braces. I'm fairly sure I was the first one to replace a broken grille in '85 or so... $60 from and aftermarket supplier of OEM parts. I sure wish he was still around. HA!

Mine came with braces

However, I had them removed when I had the bodywork done as I'll stick with the earlier grille

Hey, technically the 75-78 grille is a 2nd gen. Here is a quick pic (don't mind the cute kiddo)

1930881_37173771411_1260_n.jpg

This is my '82 with 2nd gen grill with the plastic air dam. Since then, I added a steel air dam. The 2nd gen grille has the same cut outs for the bumper shocks.

Thanks Rooster, she is a real cutie. Thanks for the pic. Here's one of my handsome little guy. Cheers,
9a3eddf964c26bfede6b0d323e920c2f.jpg

Please excuse dust and dirt...

This foto lit up the support brace nicely...

Look closely at the lower mounting screws in this foto and note I removed the plastic grille tabs (along with horizontal vane) and the brace is screwed only to the to the spoiler... The spoiler is now free to move without tearing up the grille.

Let me know if you need more explanation... Oh... and ONE last thing about the braces. I have cared for this car since 1983 and I doubt seriously the PO added these braces. I'm fairly sure I was the first one to replace a broken grille in '85 or so... $60 from and aftermarket supplier of OEM parts. I sure wish he was still around. HA!

Hey Tony, great detail pics. Thank you, much appreciated. Cheers,

Back