Son is buying 2013 Abarth

rocco79/138

True Classic
The car has 40,000 miles and if any warranty left it is just a couple months. There is an aftermarket warranty available for this car 4 years/100k miles.
It is $1900.00 or $25 monthly... I usually do not ever buy this type of coverage but I also do not usually buy anything turbo... basically we are betting that the drivetrain will run another 100k or not correct? It would be pretty easy to run through $2k if engine dies but regular stuff clutch brakes etc would be his responsibility anyway. Couple Abarth owners here what would you think? The 1.4 T is in many different vehicles so I am guessing/hoping that it will in fact operate without huge problems for that distance... or time. The car currently does not have outstanding recall notices and is in good repair... thanks
Regards

I have a 2012 that has no warranty. I am a little nervous. The extended warranty 4/100K is 100K total miles, not the current 40K plus 100K more (per my dealer's offer).

Don't forget you are talking about a Fiat...

:brow: Just sayin' ... :grin:
Might be good insurance. I've heard Abarth's have short-block issues, especially if driven a lot in sport mode.

Thanks... will make sure he is clear on that

So if I understand it is 4 yrs from purchase but up to 100k... the way I see it if you do buy the warranty and get to 100k the house wins... it usually does... and you are on your own from there on. His decision but I think I would take the gamble on the Fiat. He just told me it is still 10k left on the factory warranty so he can take some time to think about it.
Regards

Ha!

I thought I would have to post on another forum to get the Fiat card played! I am with you on this! That is why I asked... it is a different animal now. All I had to worry about was top on or top off mode... or was it windows up or windows down mode. I forget now I can find it on the web somewhere...

The extended warranty does not cover the clutch if I am correct.

The Abarth came with a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty that covered bumper to bumper including burned out headlights. Mine is now 50 months old.

The Abarth does use some oil when driven hard. Check the oil often and top off when low. This should not be a surprise on a Fiat. My BMW M roadster uses more oil when driven hard.

This is an interesting topic even for non-Fiats. New cars are so dense packed and so complicated that it is getting to the point that owner done repairs are becoming a thing of the past. Extended or long term warranties are the first thing I consider when getting a new car. The only reason I got a turbo Dodge Caravan back in 1989 was the, then incredible, 7 year 70,000 mile warrantee. Our current Kia Optima turbo came with a 10 year 100,000 mile warrantee. I have several friends with Abarths (including Todd) and the biggest complaint I get from them is the horrible treatment by Fiat dealerships. If the mechanic keeps throwing new parts at the motor to get it fixed and they keep getting it wrong I don't want to have to pay for all the parts that didn't need to be installed. At $100 an hour, repair bills can add up real fast. I don't know if the 1.4T is better or worse than any current motor.....rumors suggest they have issues but I have no personal knowledge. You can try the 500 and Abarth specific forums but people on any model forum tend to down play issues.

Be sure you and your son know exactly the coverage of the extended warrantee, don't ask the salesman, he probably has no clue or purposely waffles.

Mmmm...

Be sure you and your son know exactly the coverage of the extended warranty, don't ask the salesman, he probably has no clue or purposely waffles.

48746605.jpg

Your call

I've owned my '12 Abarth for just shy of 52 months, have approx 35k miles, had zero issues, always drive in sport mode, puts a grin on my face every time I drive her. I am a very happy owner. It's a niche car, not for everyone. I plan on keeping the car as long as I'm on the sunny side of the turf.

He has driven an '88 Yugo GVL since he learned to drive...

He is familiar with niche or cult cars... quite excited about the car... it looks a bit like a fully developed version of his first car... I did a graphic treatment to the Yugo which drew from the Abarth 695. I installed Abarth valves so my side decals said Yugo/Abarth 1100. They look very much like the 500 Abarth graphics... this one even has the stylized red Scorpion on the hood... without a doubt my son will take to this car very quickly! Everything set and we are going to pick it up Friday. Thanks to all for your thoughts. Will keep you posted.
Regards

Abarth

Ciao amici,

We drive our 500 Abarth Esseesse about 6 years now, bought the car new in 2010
One time a year the Abarth gets fresh oil (original Selenia which is important), new oil filter etc.
It is still great FUN to drive and at the motorway irritating for Audi and Porsche cars. We never had any issues as the 1.4 engines are great quality. Fiat uses these a long time in various models (Punto etc.) Body also has no problems as building quality is great

Saluti,

Henk Martens

Coupla things Rocco...

SHOP for other policies and then BARGAIN with the dealer just as one would do with the purchase price.

In fact, I would counter-offer the purchase price to INCLUDE the additional warranty coverage.

(Just the 1% part of me talking here, just like everyone else...)

Picked it up yesterday...

No problem, 5 hours there and 5 back... through a hurricane! His other car is a an '88 Yugo so to say he has noticed improved aesthetics is an understatement. That car really clipped along! He is still young and lacks understanding in some things(cars can and do fly off roads) And on our way back we passed three incidents, one semi and two autos spun off the road. The winds were bad where the spins occurred but I think the water standing on the road was the biggest factor. I followed in a new Forester AWD but did not feel comfortable keeping up with him. I think he was sort of wondering if this was the right move for him but that all went away. He and his GF, well me too, enjoyed the first glimpse we caught of the car. Now after the drive home, setting things up with sound/phone and all the things you familiarize yourself with in a new car and first drive into work I think he knows he did right! They found the sport button... might as well say "Joey style" the car is an extension of him for sure! I have yet to drive it but might get a chance tomorrow. One aunt and one uncle have 500s cab and pop respectively and so he has arrived where they both know they should have gone. I pointed out that even though the weather was awful he was warm and dry... and I offered to cut the weatherstripping off the doors if he wants an experience more to which he was accustomed. Will post when I finally drive the thing!
Regards

Back