SCCA Run Offs 2016

Coupefan

True Classic
If I read the announcement correctly, it's on for September. I see two Brannons running under HP in X1/9s. I also see Baucom's 124 Spider (the straigh line rocket) in FP. Can't wait.

Even more Fiats...

There will be two more X19s in the mix, Aldora Louw from the Houston region also running in H-Production with Marnie and I.

Larry Svaton from Houston will be running an X19 in GT-Lite.

And Dave Stritmatter will be running his Lancia Scorpion in F-Production.

We're looking forward to seeing the most Fiat and Lancia entries at the Runoffs since we started racing 15 years ago!

I remember Larry Svaton

from his autocross days. He won the 1977 Solo Nationals in E Stock driving an X1/9.

For those that want to keep up to date with the 2016 runoffs, here's the event programme..
http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...ISED_Runoffs_Schedule_Sept2016.pdf?1472835030

But the two important events for Fiat nuts are

Matt's class (HP) runs 3.30 pm on Saturday local time, and Gary Baucom's class (FP) runs 11.15am Sunday local time.

Provisional qualifying results see Matt out of fourth spot for the start,

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...Runoffs2016_Qual_3_Provisional.pdf?1474493864

and Gary (unusually down the order) out of 12th

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...Runoffs2016_Qual_3_Provisional.pdf?1474480940

online broadcast will be live at scca.com/live

Good luck guys!

SteveC

Can't wait

I find this level of racing more enjoyable (and attainable) in comparison to overpaid professional racing more and more. Wish there was much more it. Anyway, the Apple TV is set up and waiting for Saturday.

Missed most of it...

Matt is in 7th. The one time they showed his car up close it appeared to be over steering. Less than two laps to go.

FP was a little disappointing, only 9 racing laps... several under full course yellow and then the race declared... I feel for the guys who worked so hard all week (and all season) to get to the runoffs and then to have the championship decided in under half distance of actual racing.

Same (tho not as bad) for Matt's race yesterday ... there were quite a few laps behind the pace car while crashed cars were removed (which to me didn't look like they were dangerously positioned)

Another year run... there was certainly some excellent racing in some of the other classes, for non professionals there is a very high standard.

SteveC

Thanks all for the support.

We want to thank all of the race fans who cheered us on yesterday and followed us on Facebook. 7th and 19th were not exactly the finishes we hoped for, but there were a number of bright spots along the way.

First and foremost, after a lot of prep ahead of time, the cars performed flawlessly all week. The only issues being a leaking oil line on Marnie’s car Monday, and a popped off plug wire on mine on Thursday. All of those fix it again tony naysayers can go pound sand….

As for my results in the #22, I went faster at Mid-O than ever in my career, our trap and segment times were right with the leaders, and we held onto the lead pack draft the whole race, but simply couldn’t make a move. The car had plenty of power and handled well, but it was an exceptional field and everyone ahead of me ran nearly flawless races too.

A .10 second mistake here and there were the difference. The long caution dashed any hope of the FWD guys running off their tires, and single file restart did not offer any help either. In the closing laps the car started pushing on left turns, requiring another ½ turn of the wheel to muscle thru the keyhole and carousel turns. After the race we discovered the LF tire had started going down, explaining that issue.

Marnie had a solid race and picked up several spots, but gave a few of them back in the waning laps of the race with some door-to-door contact that both competitors agreed was a “racing incident” after shaking hands. At the end of the day, both cars loaded up on the trailer running, driving and straight, everyone was safe and sound, the weather was beautiful and our paddock mate and competitors a blast to hang with.

Congratulations to Gary Baucom (Fiat 124 Spider), Dave Stritmatter (Lancia Scorpion), Aldora Louw (Fiat X1/9), and Larry Svaton (Fiat X1/9) for bringing your classic Fiat cars out to play at the big show.

Thanks again for everyone’s support.

-M

Congrats and thanks for carrying the banner yet again this year!

I couldn't tune in but was with you in spirit.

Back