1981 X 19 Junkyard sighting San Bernardino

Kevin Channer

True Classic
Hi folks, just wanted to pass this on, I saw a 81 X in the LKQ Pick a Part, San Bernardino CA. It has apparently been there since July so it is a bit picked over but I did see good glass all around , driver side mirror, mount thru style, one alloy wheel, newer looking stainless exhaust minus cat, possibly custom. Trans intact, bumpers were good, seats were fair. Head, cam, and trim missing. Has KYBs all around. Please note it won't be there much longer! July till now is a long time in the salvage world. Can be viewed online at the LQK pick a part website.

That car...

Was the head missing, or did it just have the cam tower removed? I pulled the cam tower off it a few weeks ago & took the cam out of it - a PBS SX-1 regrind. :grin:

I got everything pulled off the head to remove it as well except for the timing cover bracket, but had to leave at that point (they were closing for the day) & haven't had the spare time to go back (yet?). :sigh:

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, correction, I do believe the head was still there. It was the cam tower that was disassembled, and cam missing (nice score!)

wow, you guys are tough

You went to the junkyard on the 4th St? In the 100°+F weather these days? Today and tomorrow it's going to reach 100°F again. A few years ago in summer someone told me there was a Scorpion in that junkyard. I went there, I started feeling like I was floating in hot water, and all I could do was to take brakelight lenses and come home in a hurry.

Luigi in S.B.

Re: the heat

You went to the junkyard on the 4th St? In the 100°+F weather these days? Today and tomorrow it's going to reach 100°F again.

The day I was there & got the camshaft it was a nice, sunny 81° day with a light coastal breeze - perfect weather! :sun:

The very next day (& a few more days in a row after that) the temps jumped to the 100°-110° range - which is why I didn't go back for the cylinder head. :no:

Actually, that's how Kevin & I met many years ago - on the hunt for Fiats at the local junkyards! :italia:

That's cool. I sometimes wish we still had junkyards that allow you in in my area. Was always cool just to see the old cars & meet fellow car nuts. Been 25+ years since they turned into straight recyclers/crushers around here. I don't miss it enough to drive 2-3hours for the ones in PA :rolleyes2:....

Gone.

Hi folks, just wanted to pass this on, I saw a 81 X in the LKQ Pick a Part, San Bernardino CA. It has apparently been there since July... Please note it won't be there much longer! July till now is a long time in the salvage world. Can be viewed online at the LQK pick a part website.

I was going to go visit this car again on Sunday, but thought to check their inventory listing just to make sure it's still there (it's a bit of a drive out there & back). Nope, not on their list anymore, so it's likely been crushed by now. I still can't believe it was there for that long! Stanton PAP had a Yugo put out on 9/16 & less than 3 weeks later it was gone! :sad:

Back