Decision

rocco79/138

True Classic
I was going to have the front bearings replaced(in a shop, by someone else) and have decided to just do the job myself... rears to follow. My decision is this: Should I buy a shop floor press? A bench top press or the bearing adapter kit and do them in place? I am not near my car or manual so I can't remember or maybe just don't know but since the adapter kit is for FWD cars I am assuming it will do all four on the X. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!
Regards

I sprung for a floor model press years ago and it has more than paid for it's self several time over. In my opinion it is easier to pull the whole knuckle off and do the bearing on the bench that squatting on the floor and trying to get the race out and then back in. The big press is not that much more $$ than one of those bearing kits and will be a great addition to your garage. If you pull the knuckle then a good ball-joint tool would be another good investment.

I was leaning that way...

Thanks for the quick response! Is this one enough for the tasks I may encounter with the X1/9?
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
I am really getting focused on just X1/9 stuff... had a thought about a 1974 Stingray I owned right after my first X1/9 but the cost of that project would be prohibitive and I got rid of that car for my X1/9 back in 1984. No need to go there since I have not missed the Vette in 32 years? That car was too big for my taste.
I had a ball joint tool from somewhere that worked but the quality was poor do you know where a high quality separator can be sourced? Thanks again!
Regards

Thanks for the quick response! Is this one enough for the tasks I may encounter with the X1/9?
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
I am really getting focused on just X1/9 stuff... had a thought about a 1974 Stingray I owned right after my first X1/9 but the cost of that project would be prohibitive and I got rid of that car for my X1/9 back in 1984. No need to go there since I have not missed the Vette in 32 years? That car was too big for my taste.
I had a ball joint tool from somewhere that worked but the quality was poor do you know where a high quality separator can be sourced? Thanks again!
Regards
Seeing as how it is your money I am spending I suggest the 20 ton. It is that extra margin like having a guitar amp that goes up to eleven.

Thanks

Regards

FWIW, I have that same 12 ton press from HF and have done all four corners with it as well as new bushings in the control arms. I think it works great and easily worth the money. It's on sale often so that's when I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices

Years ago I built mine. At that time I spent more for the raw materials then the HF prices. And that was in 1970's dollars.

Oops, I think that this is an old guy comment.

Paul

Thanks for the input...

Paul, everything costs more to build one at a time... I build furniture and it is always lower price per piece built in batches. I still can't figure out how HF can sell so cheap... unless we are just old guys conditioned to believe everything should cost more than it does... there is that economy of scale thing...
So I think I will order this tool
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...08959sch01a/?gclid=CL6in-n7os8CFZElgQodrfIAQA
And HF has chimed in and sent me a super coupon for the 12 ton at $99... that is not a bad price and it will match my $134 hoist... that has already paid for itself and the press should do the same at that price.
Regards

The 12 ton press will be more than enough for the job and the ball joint tool works fine. You might want to have a bearing puller handy in case you have a stubborn race that sticks to the spindle.

I suggested the bigger press because in the past I have purchased the minimum tool for the job and then weeks,month or years later wound up having to by the same type of tool in a bigger form for another project.

I agree! And have done the same thing...

At $99 for the 12 ton H-frame floor press it is only $20 more than the the 6 ton A-frame bench top press. A no brainier IMO...I thought the bench top would do but like you say, it will probably not be long before I needed the added cap of the floor press. If I need more then the 12 I could probably change the bottle jack out but I agree it should do all I need. I will do the bearing kit as well thanks.
Regards

I did my bearings with just hand tools. It was a PITA but I'm a stubborn (and often stupid) cuss so don't do that. I would buy the press.

Yeah Rocco.. its stuff like this that gives ya the OK to...

purchase the stuff you always wanted... and HF makes it sooooo easy with their increased quality and very fair pricing for the hobbyist~

I think a shop press is about the only thing I don't have... and not necessarily looking forward to HAVE TO have one...

I could use the "Murphy Philosophy" and buy one... and then never have the need to use it! HA!

i bought 1 a few years ago paid for itself 1st time i used it. Also this year i used it to press a couple gallons of wine grapes...ill let you know i about 9 months.

Back