1984 Restoration Update

gunna

Daily Driver
Hi everyone who looked at my 1984 restoration project from last year, it's been a very long time since I've posted as work commitments were crazy toward the back end of last year thing didn't move on anywhere near to what they should of. Things have only managed to move on in the last few months as we had the unit my car is in completely full up and I was waiting to get it back onto its wheels

Here's what has been happening in the engine bay department, there's a Charge Cooler, new Expansion Tank and Water Injection, That's what I was doing whist waiting for space.

Finally back on its wheels

Once back on its wheels the fun began with some finale wiring up, checking then checking again only to find I had no spark and no injectors firing, spent several nights scratching my head before calling in my mate to have a look and all my wiring checked out so I thought maybe the decoded chip i got might not of actually been decoded so contacted the supplier and he double checked and the chip was definitely correct, bugger!.
It was actually the ECU I got with my engine, on close examination there was signs that one of the chips had got hot at some point in the past so another ECU was purchased.
After that I had to work out with 3 different wiring diagrams that all contradict each other how the fuel relay was actually meant to work as i'd cheated before to get it to work and as it happens that's exactly what was needed as it is normally turned on via the alarm.
Tried to fire her up Monday night and it wouldn't start everything looked good, oil pressure built up fine before I added fuel everything was looking great good spark, injectors clicking churned her over NOTHING DAM!, only thing it could be no fuel getting through so checked and was correct, I had to take Charge Cooler out of the way to take pump out of the tank, turns out that the supplied plug had the terminals backward and I never spotted it, fancy black wires being positive!
All put back together and the result a first fire up, died then on second try it struck up and revs dropped off slightly before idling fine. I videoed it but at the moment cant upload it, I will do a code test tomorrow to see what faults are thrown up if any.

Now I need to do some cleaning up in the old girl there's so much dirt accumulated with all the work that has been done.

Sorry it's been so long I was hoping to of been driving it around finished this year but in reality I think it will be spring time next year when it gets its first M.O.T for a great many years.

That there is a whole lot of shiny stuff!

Looks like lots of nice work.

Welcome back!

Nice color...

Nice color... I'm actually going with the Porsche Lava Orange... It's on the new GT3RS... Very nice color indeed...

I don't know why, but a Biblical-type verse came to mind...

"Well done, good and faithful servant..."

Something like that... and meaning that even THE BIG GUY would approve.

Fault code test

Did the fault code test and the only fault code that shows up is for the fuel carbon canister, no surprise there as I don't have one!
Was actually expecting more codes to be honest with all the luck iv'e had with the ECU, and its idling at the correct area on the AFM gauge 14.7:1

Manage to get the rest of the panels on and the gaps are quite acceptable considering Iv'e done so much cutting around on everything, just need to do some fettling on the front boot as the outer edges ride up slightly toward the screen end.

Engine Cover

It was always my intention to leave the tray off the engine cover for cooling purposes but once fitted I really wasn't keen on being able to see the engine quite so clearly, plus I thought with all them gaps it could end up with crisp packets rammed into the slots, so decided to put mesh on the underside.
All vents were covered individually, mesh was bent to shape so that it mirrored the two solid center section as closely as possible to try to give a factory look, hopefully it will keep engine area temps down and let all the turbo heat straight out.

Amazing stuff

Gunna, this is amazing...love the colour great looking engine, it looks like you've put a lot of time in on this. I don't think I will go to those lengths with the engine I will keep it bulk standard less complications for me to deal with.

Hats off to you mate.

We are bonkers:hammer::drink::drink:

MOT TIME

Car is booked in for Friday morning for its first MOT since early 1995 and also getting engineers report done at the same time.
All that will be left to do on the car then is some cutting of paintwork and lots of polishing and even more cleaning, its very dusty.
I think I will quite nervous on Friday!!!

Good news

IT PASSED

So happy, Owner of the garage said to me you've spent some money on that as he peered through the meshed grill to the engine underneath, had to chuckle to myself as I thought nope i'm a tight arse and I made it all myself!!!
What a great day so many people have told me in the past you ain't ever going to get it done you may as well scrap it, well all that's left now is cutting, polishing and fitting badges, I think I am probably now in a position that I could give them a :nana:

From the looks of the intake manifold, a Punto Turbo but I may well be mistaken.

By the way I love the color, it's rare bit it is a great choice.

A magnificent save of a car and fantastic upgrade to the drivetrain

Back