Suspension Report - HOLY CRAP!!

Holly Crap Indeed!

Hey Willy, I just installed the same set of coil-overs on my car, as well as the poly-bushing kit offered by VAS and....WOW! I haven't hit my favorite roads yet, but there is no question about the difference in ride and handling.
I ended up lowering the car about an inch from stock and the stance is greatly improved. This is a great set-up and I highly recommend it.
I used a local mechanic and his lift for the installation and he did the complete job in two short days.
The only reason I'm here typing instead of driving is the fact that it's raining here in southern New Hampshire, but sunny weather is coming!!

Willy... Congratulations on all points... except one...

I too have had alignment folks tell me they "compensated for the crown in the road" and IMHO and IMHE... I think its a load of bovine feces.

First off... we here in the lower 48 don't have so many "crowned" roads like back in 1913 when Model T's were all the rage...) so in the straights the car wants to pull one way or the other. I think to the right... Now go drive for about 2 hours and it gets a bit tiring (pun intended...)

I humbly suggest you go back and tell him to take all the road crown compensation out of it... so its level on all points with equal Camber all around at between 1 and 2 degrees.

Additionally, adjustable mounting bolts (1 per corner should work) are available from your Vendor and if I were to purchase coilovers, I would include a set of these. (Some folks replace BOTH mounting bolts and this gives them a rather extreme amount of Camber compensation.)

As for Toe-in, I like to see about 1/8 inch in the front and 0 Toe-in in the rear for street use.

Caster
is probably still difficult to change unless you have installed "adjusters" on the strut towers... but still can be skewed a bit by slotting the holes. Again... coilovers deserve to have these as well.

I'm happy yur happy. Most folks that go to the expense of "upgrading" to coilovers also include the other bits I have mentioned so they have full functionality to align the wheels to exactly what they want or what (racing) conditions warrant.

Continue having fun!

Back