Headlamp conversion? Prototipo style?

Wayne's Square Head Lights

Don't know why, but I just happened to go to the Seattle X1/9 site today.

The blue car is my 1979 'X' with stationary square head lights. Am old school, so I hit the wrecking yard for parts. Turned out that Mustang used a plastic fixture that housed two square head lights on each side. Bought one side and cut it in two. Then cut away enough X-1/9 and Mustang so I could position the lights where I wanted them.

Looking close at the picture you can see that the plate on top of the headlight is cut at an angle that matches the angle of the front trunk. It is made from a flat piece of steel. The plate has bent down flanges that hold it in place with screws; however, no flange along the front.

I next put some lights in the Mustang fixtures and played with headlight adjustment, and over-all looks. Then used fiber-glass/matt to hold the fixtures in place.

I was able to modify the covers that are above the head lights so they screw to the body. Almost looks stock.

It really isn't finished. It needs some type of plastic cover to bridge the gap around the lights----maybe later.

Wayne

No photos which means yur probably lyin'...

HA!

Don't be afraid to post some "in progress" photos as we are usually more interested in the PROCESS than the result.

Don't know why, but I just happened to go to the Seattle X1/9 site today.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Did you take any other pics? The only one I saw was so lo res, no detail can be observed. Instead of 4x6(which must be what you used, if they came from a 4 bulb setup) I'm using 6x7 units. I'll figure out the unit fitment once they are here, but it would be nice to see pics of how you dealt with modifying the popup to use as a fixed cover.

Just to wrap up this thread, I used Ford Bronco (79-80) headlamps & supports, custom brackets to use existing pod pivot mount captive nuts, and custom lower brackets. Minimal cutting of the support plate needed on the frame rail side.

DallaraHeadlamp00041.jpg

rought template and final version mount

DallaraHeadlamp00018.jpg

1C0B5026-F546-4B6A-A034-E745CB6F509E_zpsgh1azcwi.jpg

adjusters modified to allow access from the stock upper access point

DallaraHeadlamp00050.jpg

DallaraHeadlamp00051.jpg

basic fit

DallaraHeadlamp00024.jpg

DallaraHeadlamp00017.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing us along and closing the loop.

Great sketch as always, nice to see the visualization and the actual solution.

Looks like a nice solution

I was hoping to use some tiny LED lights. I see a lot of custom "tracker" style motorcycles for street use with a number plate up front and one or two tiny lights but I don't know where the lights come from.

interesting thread. I am going to be doing this to two cars this year. It doesnt look simple. I will take lots of photos.

I was hoping to use some tiny LED lights. I see a lot of custom "tracker" style motorcycles for street use with a number plate up front and one or two tiny lights but I don't know where the lights come from.

Don’t think I caught this post - sorry Carl. LEDs around the bulb housing

Dallara_Headlamp00021.jpg

Last edited:
The rectangle "6-inch by 7-inch" (H6054) are standard size for many vehicles with a single 'square' (rectangle) light on each side (including some Jeeps). The smaller rectangle (4"X6") were used on applications with two square lights on each side ("quad" lights). For a simple example of the 6"x7" units with mounting buckets/adjusters, look at the Mk1 VW Golf's built in the US:
3719726392_a1e139d8a4_b.jpg

cp040848-headlight-bucket-housing-vw-rabbit-79-86-golf-mk1-mk2-head-lamp-genuine.jpg

Most of the ones I know of are not "headlights", but universal LED's mounted in the place of a headlight. They are available in a wide variety of configurations. Look on eBay for 'LED running lights' for multiples, or 'eagle eye LED' for singles. The problem is they do not offer much illumination and are not adjustable (not to mention they aren't legal)...really just for 'looks':
download.jpg images.jpg download (1).jpg download (2).jpg

Thanks, I assumed as much. I have gutted my headlight assemblies and have no plan to drive the car at night but it would be nice to fake some headlights if I got caught out and had to drive home locally at sundown. Living in the 'burbs, light scatter from street lamps, etc would provide enough lighting to see, I just don't want to be driving in stealth mode with no lights on the car in such a situation.

Carl, I can relate.

I've built some vintage (70's) motorcycles that pay tribute to GP bikes of that era, but kept them licensed for the street (not technically legal but we don't have inspections). Like you, I don't plan to ride them at night but wanted to keep some lighting just in case. If nothing else, to use as 'day-time running lights' so other drivers see me. For that I've fashioned various LED "headlights". In one case I used a old smaller round motorcycle headlight that originally had a replaceable (incandescent) bulb, and modified it to accept a "H3" type (LED) bulb. For another I used a couple of the LED lights like you asked about, and mounted them in somewhat hidden locations. I've also modified other types of lights to accept LED bulbs inside of them. Naturally none of these are legal and they don't really offer a lot of illumination, but they were easy and cheap to do. And they do offer a good level of visibility to on-coming drivers, which on a bike (or car for that matter) is important.

Those "eagle eye" units are pretty good and they are easy to use; very inexpensive (under $2 each), water-proof, single bolt (stud) mount, simple +/- wire connections, extremely little amp draw, and are very bright. They are basically one large LED diode behind a "bubble" lens to disperse the light...sort of a miniature 'projector' style light. Their small size makes them easy to hide in a grill, under a bumper, on a valance/apron, in place of turn signals, etc. They come in various colors so I've used them as back-up lights, turn-signals, running-lights, third brake lights, headlights, etc.

On one of my other custom vehicle builds I wanted to eliminate the ugly stock turn signals but still have some type of "hidden" signal. I used a pair of period-correct yellow-lens fog lights (add-on accessory type) with yellow LED's replacing the Halogen bulbs, and wired them so the light is always on (as a running light) but flashes on/off when the turn signal is activated. By replacing the Halogen bulbs with LED's they are bright enough to give the needed illumination but not 'blinding' to on-coming cars. Looks like a normal fog light but serves two real functions instead.

So something can be rigged for your project. Get creative. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

IMG_4912.JPG
IMG_4889.JPG
IMG_4911.JPG
I used Holden Gemini lights and buckets and adapted them to fit with an old light pod as the cover for my stradale project

Attachments

• IMG_4899.JPG
    IMG_4899.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 97
Back