Converting to Power windows Need help

79X19

True Classic
Hello all,

I have a 1981 FI X and was welding a broken bracket on the window that fastens the window to the cable and weld spatter got on the glass just Where I hadn't protected it!:cry: Glass ruined! So I went and found a '86 x that was about to be crushed in a junk yard. Windows were good and they were power!. So I took the windows and motors both along with the fixed glass on the passenger side door so I could have dual mirrors. I figured I could find some pictures of the way the power window motors were fastened inside the door but I cant find anything on the web. Does anyone have pictures of the factory motors installed in the doors? These regulators do not operate with cables
they are the newer style with the red tubes and Bosch motors.

Thanks

The inner door structure on '84 and newer Xs is different from previous years to accommodate the Bosch track style power window regulators.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to fabricate mounting points in an older door so it will support the late Bosch track style regulators.

I looked thru my pix and I do not seem to have any good pix of the late Bosch regulators in situ.:doh:

Poics of a Bosch power window unit installed and my 81 door

I found the pic of the blue door on lione after hours of surfing. Looks to be an easy mod if you look at my brown '81 door. What do you think?

Do you want cheerleading or what I think?

I think hanging the power unit is probably the easiest part... I had power windows in my '83 and '86. I am now thrilled to have winder windows in my '79. The power units were not the worst units I ever had, my daughter's Mini Cooper windows won that prize, hands down! No way to tell from the picture the exact location of the three bolts holding things in place. I have my '86 with door card off so I could get some exact measurements if you decide to go through with this... I also consider everything else that must be done to get the windows operating. Without pouring over prints I can only guess.... if power was an option in '81 then you should be wired for things if not then you will need to run all the wiring from scratch. The switches are located in center console behind shifter so hopefully you have blanks in your console otherwise your cutting there too. Once all the wiring is in place you will need to power it up... again probably talking at least one fuse and a couple relays. Hopefully you got all the power window stuff when you picked the parts if not most is probably available somewhere... I am not saying not to do it but it will be far more work than you seem to think it is going to be... I would be willing to detach my lift unit take photos and send measurements from reference points on the door so you would have a fighting chance. Oh, the '83 had and older style which includes plugs where the cranks were located and a geared handle in case the unit failed... None ever failed but you will need to plug the holes where the winders came through. Good luck,
Regards

I think I can I think I can.....

If its not too much trouble and you can get at your power units easily then yes please. If you can provide the exact measurements of where the power units go I would be much obliged. I believe my '81 has the fuse and relay areas to accommodate the electrical infrastructure for the power windows. Power windows are also mentioned in my Fiat shop manual. The console has the areas where the switches are located and there are factory electrical wires in the doors that are not connected to anything. Assuming they were there in the wiring harness and used in the event someone ordered the car with the power window option?? Just guessing. Anyway I am pretty handy and not looking for a quick fix and will do what is necessary to do it right. If I cant make it work at least I have some good motors, windows and regulators to sell to someone if needed. I couldn't see letting them get crushed and sold for scrap. Thanks very much for your help.

Judging by the pix, the inner door structure seems to be virtually identical....I don't think I expected that.

Take rocco79 up on his offer to help, perhaps a thick paper or light cardboard template of where the mounting holes are and such.

Does your '81 have any pre-wiring for the optional power windows available in that year?

Sounds better...

I was hoping all the wiring was there. It is very easy for the manufacturer to include all that wiring and just leave the switches and motors out on non power can vs add a wiring step for power cars... make sense? Last question is weather the old version used the same plug for the motor as the Bosch units... if they are the same that is great if not should pretty straightforward swapping pigtails... in the future if you are picking parts be sure to cut the part from the harness then you have the proper plugs. If you did that, good going! My door card is off so it is just a matter of removing the fasteners and taking measurements. Plenty of reference points so we should be able to plot them without a template but I could make that as well should it be necessary. I will try to do this in the morning but may not get it until later in the day. I remember having to dismantle the rocker switches for cleaning on either the '83 or the '86 so I would suggest you prepare to do the same should the power system not function when installed. I am not ready to sign on to the job being "easy" but you have the right attitude and that is the biggest component for jobs like this...
Regards

Pre wiring for power windows seems to exist

Yes I will for sure take him up on it. There are two wires in the inner door from the factory. One is white and the other blue with black spots. Both have torpedo connections. Looks like the install of the power regulators wont be difficult once I get the proper placement of the bolt holes. It's the wiring that will be the most challenging.

Snagged the wiring when I was in the junked car

Yes I did cut out all the wires for the power Bosch motors when I was in the junked X. Took the wires that went through the car to the underside of the dash as well. So I have the factory connectors for the power units as well as the wires going to the dash. I may not need those if the wires that are in my door from the factory are truly wires for power units. Wouldn't that be great! Im meeting with Bob Brown tomorrow I'll show him what I have and see if he has recommendations for wiring. Thanks again for all of your responses and help:).

Well worth fitting a relay box to each side of the car (2 relays in each box, one for up and one for down). You could also probably pick up a later centre console with cut outs for power windows quite cheaply. Switches off the Fiat Sciento fit exactly and seem more sturdy than the Exxy ones. Available on eBay.co.uk.

I built the relay kits for mine. I think the circuit was designed by Bob! Works a treat.

Pretty straight forward

Here is a photo of the door... notice and break near the aft lower bolt...

I measured from the far edge of the hole for the door skin clip. I can't tell from your photo but I think these are all punched in the same spot so you can use that as a reference point. For the upper bolt put the end of your tape on that outer edge and measure over 14 1/2 inches... the hole is centered on the flat space as seen in the photo. For the two lower holes use the third clip hole down on that side... same orientation for the tape measure 10 1/4" over and 3/4" down from the edge of the opening that is the center of the hole with the tape passing through that spot measure to 14 1/2" on that same line and that is your third hole... make sense? From the aft edge of the clip hole were you to draw a line that passes through the point of 10 1/4" and 3/4" below that edge then along that same line your third hole falls at 14 1/2" The top hole looked a bit elongated but may have been the result of wear. There is an adjustment where the window attached to the mechanism so drilling the holes where I indicated should have you in the proper place and fine tuning is achieved where glass attaches. If you do not have three holes punched on the back edge of the door let me know and I will define the start points or measure and express differently.
Regards

Thanks for the measurements and the pic!

These dimensions will be very helpful. Ill get the markings all lined up on my door then double check. Measure twice cut once! The pic is very helpful as it confirms what I thought was the case. The doors are all pretty much the same. My console has the places for the switches already in place. According to Bob Brown the wiring harness has the wires already in place somewhere under the console to accept the switches. Ill keep you all posted of my progress. Now if I could just find some bushings for the rails, Id be golden. I may need to fabricate them myself.

Back