What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Just pulled out the pedal box last night. It has been leaking brake fluid and MC could do with an overhaul or replacing.

19255a108c9fafe71d1d3d7a03f83685.jpg

Priced getting the brake MC reconditioned - $170, so I guess I'll just replace it. Will hopefully start to make some new brake lines too - a couple of mine are a little kinked. Plus my fabric coated rubber hose from the reservoir is perished and leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a while since being unable to see the thread ( due to the sys' crash?)

Crate_Unboxing.jpg

Last of the breed NOS Punto GT Turbo long block before preperation with improvements of lessons learnt from current Punto engine in the X.

Moved on since that image, taken in July.

Dog Bone

Today I inspected the job I did pouring polyurethane bushings into the dog bone. I used 60A hardness poly and this was pretty easy to do! I think it will work. I'm letting the poly cure for a few days, then I will paint the metal "bone" and install it.

I stripped a parts car of it's engine, glass, interior, and various electrical parts today! I'm hoping to rebuild the engine into something more spirited, any suggestions?

I stripped a parts car of it's engine, glass, interior, and various electrical parts today! I'm hoping to rebuild the engine into something more spirited, any suggestions?
There is a lengthy thread on this subject worth reading by FiatFactory which delves very deeply into this. I would suggest you wade through that first.

There is a lengthy thread on this subject worth reading by FiatFactory which delves very deeply into this. I would suggest you wade through that first.
Thanks I've never built an engine before so this should be interesting

"Thanks I've never built an engine before so this should be interesting" Blake, Take your time and make sure you know what all the parts are and where the go before you put it together for sure's. The first engine I ever rebuilt back in 1970 was an 1100 Renault. The engine ran real good after I got it all together and installed. I drove the car for a little over a month with no problems before I sold it. A few months later a friend that had a lot of experience building engines was in my garage and we were talking engines when I asked him what the little horse shoe things that were left over from my build were. He started laughing and said I hope the guy you sold that car to lives far away because they were thrust bearings. He is going to start having clutch problems and notice a lot of metal in his oil. I still feel bad about that to this day and make every part accountable when ever I work on anything ever since.

Plus my fabric coated rubber hose from the reservoir is perished and leaking.
I have recently finished doing the same job on my X that you are about to undertake. I sourced all new fluid hoses (clutch + brake reservoir to m/cyls) from Dynaflow NZ Ltd in Seaview, Lower Hutt. All hoses + new clips (incl GST) totalled $NZ57.90. Not too bad IMHO.
Best of luck with the job - I would suggest booking a 1 hr session with a spinal massage expert after you have finished re-installing the pedal-box/hoses assy back into your X! :)

cheers, Ian - NZ

"Thanks I've never built an engine before so this should be interesting" Blake, Take your time and make sure you know what all the parts are and where the go before you put it together for sure's. The first engine I ever rebuilt back in 1970 was an 1100 Renault. The engine ran real good after I got it all together and installed. I drove the car for a little over a month with no problems before I sold it. A few months later a friend that had a lot of experience building engines was in my garage and we were talking engines when I asked him what the little horse shoe things that were left over from my build were. He started laughing and said I hope the guy you sold that car to lives far away because they were thrust bearings. He is going to start having clutch problems and notice a lot of metal in his oil. I still feel bad about that to this day and make every part accountable when ever I work on anything ever since.
Wow! That's crazy! I'll have to be careful! I know it will be fun once I am finished though

"Wow! That's crazy! I'll have to be careful! I know it will be fun once I am finished though" You will know you are truly a gear head when you experience this. I have driven a couple of my fiats with engines I have built across the US several times. As I would go along listening to the exhaust purr I would start imagining in my mind's eye the pistons, cams and all the other parts I so lovingly mic'ed, polished and installed going up and own and round and round. It can be a satisfying feeling of accomplishment.

I had My X on a trailer today. I was driving along and had to do a double-take one at the car in the parking lot and the other look in the mirror.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Midkiff/library/

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Midkiff/library/

iframe>

(adding photo's does not seam to be working any more)

I did find the owner and had a great short visit. I did give Him the address to Xweb and hope to see Him in here.

library

library
I think you gave us direct access to your Photobucket account, you may want to change your links.

Pedal box out! Both front hub carriers removed as well! Was a good couple hours work! The control arm are good to go but both outer tie rod boots have failed so they are now on the replace list. The pedal box was not as bad as I have seen in the past. Very rusty on top which is probably from leaking penatrations. I see rust around the frunk cable. I noticed brake fluid on the mat so I am thinking 38 years is about all you can expect from the fluid supply lines. The clutch and brake masters are pretty mungy at the boots so while everything is disassembled seems like the extra effort to swap out for new would be warranted. On a side note... I had a ball joint separator from HF and it worked but not well and the threads finally just gaulled out of the tool. Before that I had the forks! Still do just use for self defense now! I got a new separator as a gift(one of those here is the part number for the gift gifts!) I think it is available many places but it is a Schwaben and that thing is sweet! Well built and very effective price was easy on the budget as well.
1486231133127-280696677.jpg

Have decided to treat rust and dress really bad spots go through the cooling system and drive the daylight out of this thing! Some time in the future I plan a full restoration but I would rather drive drive drive for the time being. Hope everyone else had as much or more success!
Regards

IMG_2426.JPG
Removed the cambox and got the head loose but it is stuck on one stud right now. Heading out today to get some acetone and mix up some serious penetrant and get the head off.

Well I got to self push start mine yesterday. Put it in forth gear, turn key on push car forward just fast enough the the motor is turning over, reach in slide it to neutral as I keep pushing the the motor was just purring along!... I dought you could do that with a carb but with FI I was suprised how easy it was.

Back