Cleaning/repairing SS coolant tank

carl

True Classic
I have a stainless steel coolant tank that needs the upper hose spigot reattached. Was this just brazed on and is it a DIY job?

Also, how do I clean it, lots of crud on it that does not wash off and I don't know how to clean it up and then make is shiny again.

Silver solder

Hi carl,

IIRC, the last time this came up silver soldering was the advised method for repairing that little pipe on top of the tank.

I have one here that someone "tried" to repair with JB-Weld. It didn't work. The little pipe is still loose and there is a JB-Weld donut packed around it. I haven't tried to get that off yet. :(

Cleaning.

Also, how do I clean it, lots of crud on it that does not wash off and I don't know how to clean it up and then make is shiny again.

Scotchbrite pad & liquid Comet/Ajax cleaner, rinse & dry, then a good stainless/metal polish. A small buffing wheel will save time (& your arms!). Pea gravel shaken well will do wonders on cleaning the interior of the tank. :)

+1 on the spigot at the top of the tank.

I bought one a very long time ago that I haven't used precisely for that reason.

On a side note, I love bragging about this, I picked up that tank for $7.00 bucks.

Back