Air Cleaner Alternative

Red Bull 78

True Classic
Not looking for BIG Bucks long term Mod. Just something I can bolt on and still have quick access to the Carb while I adjust it. By the time I get all those OEM bolts and Nuts loose, the carb has cooled down so any tweaking is just guess work and if I keep taking them out, sooner or later, I'm gonna drop one of those four damn little nuts down the carb and have to rebuild the whole engine, just to find it.
Once upon a time, I failed to account for a 1/4 x 1/4 inch piece of metal, missing from an Oil Filler Cap on a Ford 302.
This is the result, 600 miles from home with TWO young kids in tow:

This is AFTER the Fire Dept. left. Imagine this phone call to your EX. "If you want the kids back, you're gonna have to come get them. We had a bad day. I'll let the girls tell you all about it, on the rest of the way home."

Once upon a time, I failed to account for a 1/4 x 1/4 inch piece of metal, missing from an Oil Filler Cap on a Ford 302.
This is the result, 600 miles from home with TWO young kids in tow:

This is AFTER the Fire Dept. left. Imagine this phone call to your EX. "If you want the kids back, you're gonna have to come get them. We had a bad day. I'll let the girls tell you all about it, on the rest of the way home."

Well I bet that was an interesting couple of hours.

Not looking for BIG Bucks long term Mod. Just something I can bolt on and still have quick access to the Carb while I adjust it. By the time I get all those OEM bolts and Nuts loose, the carb has cooled down so any tweaking is just guess work

The little half-oval clamshell filters from Vick (http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_7_75&products_id=2985) aren't wildly expensive and pop on and off without any annoying hardware. It's an open question how effectively they filter though.

However, I do most of my carb tweaking with the air cleaner off: take it off before I start the engine, let it run to hot while breathing unfiltered air.

Back