emissions equipment question

timster

Low Mileage
I have found a car at what seems like a good price. Car is in Colorado, I live in California. A running, stopping, car with no serious issues apparently, and regularly driven on long distance trips. The car is a 1978 model, with a later model fuel injected engine and 5 speed transmission, year unknown.

So far so good. Here is the problem. The car does not have any of the pollution control devices. What factory pollution control stuff would have came on these cars? A catalytic converter was pretty standard, so guessing that should be on it. Any type of smog pump? Other stuff, like charcoal cannister? Wondering if it is worthwhile to try an add those pieces, assuming they could be had. Most people pull that stuff off if they can, maybe someone has that junk laying around? Or I could try to register it to my brother's address in Nevada. Or just keep looking for a car more intact.

Hmmm...

The car might be approved if the emissions equipment for the later F.I. system are intact. Engine upgrades used to be ok if you included all the emissions equipment for the newer of either the car or the engine.

For the F.I. engine, these include a closed crankcase vapor system, closed fuel vapor system (charcoal canister and unvented cap), CAT and might even require the injector cooling fan.

Surely there's someone here who has done this?

Yeah... all that and what Greg said as well...

I suggest you go to the DMV site and check into the REFEREE rulings BEFORE dragging that puppy home. They may be HAPPY to accept it with the later engine and the standard stuff intact. That basically would be the closed crankcase system, no exposed K&N type air cleaner, and a CAT. You have both a VISUAL and a SNIFFER test to pass at idle and 2500 rpm or so.

I am not familiar with Nevada laws... maybe like Arizona where everywhere but Phoenix is exempt from testing. If your brother is indeed a RESIDENT of Nevada, to basically adhere to the LETTER of the law... it would be best to have your brother as part owner and registered as such. Most insurance companies will require you to purchase insurance in that state as well.*

Alas, there are some unscrupulous ways also ranging from appearances and lots of rubbing alcohol to several $$$ in an unmarked envelope every two years.

*Do shop for collector's car insurance as there is now a PLETHORA of companies out there! I found Grundy to work well for me for "agreed upon value" as well as caring for any out of state stuff. Also check to see and compare your DD insurance for DISCOUNTS (like AAA) for multiple cars and stuff. In one case I paid about 100 dollars LESS a year by ADDING another car! Grundy has my X insured for about $9500 with few restrictions and FULL liability, Medical, and $0 Deductible for Comp AND Collision. Cost is less than $99 a year. All this stuff is different for every person and I just urge you to shop.

BTW, I don't personally have any experience with any of this stuff but its just what I've heard and read about... (ahem...)

Welcome to the dark side...

Found some "De-Smogging" info - reverse engineer?

Here is a link, hope continental motors doesn't mind. http://www.continentalmotors-inc-bl...nce-continental-motors-sunnyvale-408-733-1360

The part I am quoting is below. More to it than this probably, but roughly speaking undo steps 1-3?

Basically, to de-smog the car, remove the following:

1. The smog pump and all of its plumbing. After this is removed you will notice the engine rpms will go up.

2. The EGR Valve and its associated plumbing. You will need to fabricate a block-off plate for the resulting hole left in the intake and exhaust manifold.

3. If you remove the charcoal canister you will need to properly vent the crankcase vapors so they won’t be released into the atmosphere.

4. Remove the catalytic converter and install a “test pipe” if retaining the stock muffler.

Engine modifications should be carried out in a logical sequence that will extract the most power from each component. The following modifications can be done in stages. How far you want to go depends on your budget and how much performance you want.

Most people go the de-smog route with a car. Maybe a want add for all the junk someone removed, assuming anyone kept the stuff.

ca smog

if you really want this car, go to or call the BAR and get a manifest of what is required for a f.i. engine in a earlier car. and get a smog in the state that it is in and make sure it meets ca. standards. one on your side!!
but beware.... if the agent is in a good mood all will go as planned. if his wife burnt the steak dinner, wouldn't give it up at bedtime.... you are in for a bumpy road my friend. and might have the car "red tagged" which means that if you ever try to register it in ca.....sorry never happen.
did an XJ 6 with a small block chevy motor and a 4 speed trans. owner went to BAR and got a manifest and we built it to specs.
feeling cocky he threw the paperwork on the desk and told the agent sign it!!
well burnt steak or lakanookie the agent delved deeper into where the eng/trans came in and handed the "new" manifest which was 6 pages longer.
again all to the letter. owner went in and demanded a signature.
the agent said.....no, move out of state......NEXT IN LINE!!:wall:
so maybe someone out there with a non running late model x can sell you the chassis or parts needed to make the transition seamless
nod...nod...wink... wink

smog

I pretty much have all types of early and late smog stuff still here except a smog pump.
once you take the leap into the smog gestapo, pm me with what you might need.
mikemo90*aol.com

I'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. Car is a good price, but might not be after all the things it would need for CA are taken into account.

If it's any help, my fuel injected car has a "California" sticker on the valve cover. I have a catalytic converter, and the crank case ents to the intake tube. There may be less advance on my tiking vacuum. that's all the emissions stuff that came with the car. It was pure stock when I bought it. If you need a cat, I have one.

Well Tim... If the Ref agrees that you can use...

a 1500 FI engine in the '78 then it doesn't have or require a smog pump and EGR and a ton of other stuff. Only the charcoal canister and CAT are retained. There are other issues as well with the harnesses and O2 sensors and the like...

BUT, you need to get their BLESSINGS FIRST!

Look... no offense here and I'm sure you are probably a good mechanic, but the learning curve can be steep here and you are adding so much complexity and trouble for yourself with this car. I don't think its the right fit for you... it would be better if it went to someone in a more lenient state who can play without a hassle.

The other car that was in PA (I think) and was recommended by others for $1500 would appear to be a better fit and you may be able to even get it for less... and then pay for shipping. As others have commented to the seller, they wish they had room for it. I don't see anyone clamoring over this other one...

In either case... we will support your decision. Good Luck!

Agreed on the PA car. Looks fairly unmodified/stock, clean, and in good overall condition. PROBABLY not much work to do to be road-worthy and for $1,500 and shipping probably less costly in the long run.

a 1500 FI engine in the '78 then it doesn't have or require a smog pump and EGR and a ton of other stuff. Only the charcoal canister and CAT are retained. There are other issues as well with the harnesses and O2 sensors and the like...

BUT, you need to get their BLESSINGS FIRST!

Look... no offense here and I'm sure you are probably a good mechanic, but the learning curve can be steep here and you are adding so much complexity and trouble for yourself with this car. I don't think its the right fit for you... it would be better if it went to someone in a more lenient state who can play without a hassle.

The other car that was in PA (I think) and was recommended by others for $1500 would appear to be a better fit and you may be able to even get it for less... and then pay for shipping. As others have commented to the seller, they wish they had room for it. I don't see anyone clamoring over this other one...

In either case... we will support your decision. Good Luck!

Back