My 1974 Fiat 128 Berlina

tripode

I had one fail on my 128 back in the day, but it was because two bolts came out of a brace and allowed the engine/gearbox assembly to drop down a couple inches. Major trashing of the gearbox due to a spray of needle bearings into the meshings.

If the tripode falls apart you will probably lose drive to the axle and you will have a 128 that goes nowhere (unless pushed!).

You'll still have axle drive, but the noise level would vary depending on how many of the 3 bearing rollers fail (spill the needle bearings). It's when the inner end of the axle pulls out of the transmission that you lose axle drive - and it gets VERY loud (which is the current issue with my 128). :sigh:

Aaaaand she is now for sale...

index.php

Asking 4320€ (eur) if anyone in Europe are int. give me wink...

What? Already!?

Did you get it through MOT?

Hehe, yes Courtney I did... and to be honest, I dont think the 128 is my type of car. I have a clean conscience, since I possibly saved the car from the wrecker. But now it is time for someone else to enjoy it!

wow! I'd love to have it, but pretty much every reasonable factor that could exists says I am not the next owner. Had you driven a 128 prior?

wow! I'd love to have it, but pretty much every reasonable factor that could exists says I am not the next owner. Had you driven a 128 prior?

Haha, nicely put... No, I haven't, this is my first, I wanted a project for the summer and there is was, for sale in Sweden so I went and got it... Now it is time for something else...

I am STILL doing work on it though hehe...

index.php

Brand new 127 shocks..the spring bowl sits 33mm lower than the original 128, so it lowers the car slighly..

index.php

And some used shocks in the bak, ANYTHING is better than the original (factory!!!) shock absorbers, I think my bicycle pump had more resistance/stiffness...

and to be honest, I dont think the 128 is my type of car.

If you like front drivers, then lower the car and try again...128's grow on you, and before you know it, you'll wonder why you ever considered selling it...

A nice one is sooooo much fun to drive....

SteveC

I got my 128 wagon earlier this year. Before that if I had ever driven one it was probably only for a few hundred feet at most. I was instantly amazed that I had spent 20 years in the front engine/rear drive world, with a few X1/9 diversions, but never had a 128. Love it!

Chris G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like front drivers, then lower the car and try again...128's grow on you, and before you know it, you'll wonder why you ever considered selling it...

A nice one is sooooo much fun to drive....

SteveC

How about this stance Steve? ;) lowered it last night and took it out for a spin...

index.php

index.php

index.php

Well that's a BIG improvement, but still looks a bit high in the rear, and the rear wheels look like the camber is slightly positive...

Have you had the car properly wheel aligned yet? Small changes in toe and camber make a vast difference to the handling and grip...

I'm sure it must feel much nicer to drive than what it was before the strut change, and I'm guessing you got a few positive comments during your drive around...

SteveC

Well that's a BIG improvement, but still looks a bit high in the rear, and the rear wheels look like the camber is slightly positive...

Have you had the car properly wheel aligned yet? Small changes in toe and camber make a vast difference to the handling and grip...

I'm sure it must feel much nicer to drive than what it was before the strut change, and I'm guessing you got a few positive comments during your drive around...

SteveC

Comments?! Everywhere I go!! It's fun indeed, to be honest, rear is actually lower than the front by a "whole" centimeter... Also the rear has a slightly negative camber, its hard to judge by the picture... and no I haven't aligned the wheels yet. I set the front toe-in by using a compass app on my phone :grin: It is much better to drive with the new struts and shocks all-round!!

Ever so slight toe OUT on the front is what you want... Front drivers tend to pull the wheels in under power... about 3mm total at the treads of toe out.

So the 128 bug has bitten? :love:

SteveC

Wonderful result

I've been following your rather quick progress and am mightily impressed by what you've done. The 128 looks fantastic. I didn't realize how small it was until I saw it near other cars for comparison. I'd love to have one someday. Thanks for sharing, keep it and keep making it better!

The little 128 is now sold, I finished the project so to say...another rust free 128 Berlina on the roads of Norway is never a bad thing...
My 166 2,4 20v Jtd Alfa Romeo felt lonely in the garage so I got her a "sister" instead.. A true piece of motoring history, 1993 Alfa Romeo 164 equipped with a 3.0L 24 valve Busso.. I will post some pics next moth, I bought a new place to live so I am moving all my "****" this month hehe... Once I am done, the 164 will get a new timing kit, brakes, exhaust, interior (allready got a recaro set from Q4) , a complete fluid change and a few other things.. it IS actually rust free so working on it will should be a blast.

Still driving my 128 3P , not to many 128 to meet on the roads in our 6 months spring summer autumn time in Norway.

Men så spennende ;) Hvem er du på small-timers da skal en trå? Hvis du er med på denne gruppen?
:D

Always nice to "meet" a fellow country man

Back