DF issues from Southern Hemisphere (moved from RacerRon's thread)

ianlawson

ian - NZ
Isn't it nice to have Xweb back up?? :thumbsup:

I still can't get the Discussion forum to open. :sigh:
All other forums OK!
Phew, I'm kinda glad that other X-heads had similar problems. I thought that my problem with opening X-Web was just another bl**dy carryover from my attempt at changing to Windows 10!
Now back again to good ol' Windows 7! :music:

cheers, Ian - NZ

What browser?

I still can't get the Discussion forum to open. :sigh:
All other forums OK!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ian, what browser are you using? Firefox and Chrome both seem to be working for me now... except for the Wiki which is still unhappy.

IE 7??

I'm using Internet Explorer for Windows 7.
That should be OK for XWeb access, shouldn't it??? :dunce:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ian,

IE 7???? I didn't realize the time zone difference between the US and NZ was measured in years. :devil:

Do you know how to clear your browsing history in IE? If so, do that and see if it helps. My guess is you have old info about Xweb stored in your browser cache.

Do you have Chrome or Firefox installed also ? If so try one of them. If not, install one of them and give Xweb a try.

Jim, I tried Chrome...........!

.....and this statement shows up, which is the exact same as what comes up when I try to open the Discussion forum, using IE. All the other forums (except Discussion) are OK.
It's all a bit too complicated for us ol' farts, mate! :wacko:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 9906 bytes) in /home/xwebforu/public_html/includes/function_surreal.php on line 87

cheers, Ian - NZ

.....and this statement shows up
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 9906 bytes) in /home/xwebforu/public_html/includes/function_surreal.php on line 87

I'm with Lawso on this one. Must be a southern hemisphere thing.

Brian

Hey Brian..............!

Maybe we should give Donald Trump a call? He can fix ANYTHING, ANYTHING, can't he?? :king:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Looks like a PHP problem

So both you and Brian are seeing this memory allocation error? The fact that it mentions the directory path "/home/xwebforu/public_html/..." indicated that the problem is originating at the server since Win7 doesn't have a "/home" directory.

Copy this direct link to the DF and paste it into another browser window and see what happens.

http://xwebforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Everything blank for awhile?

Was it just me? For about 2 hours all I've been getting is the grey background but no content.

I'm using IE with Win10. Shoulda stuck with Win7!!!

As an aside, my University has banned Chrome from all work computers. If you install it they won't support any issues you might have.

Wise words there, Rob........

.... Shoulda stuck with Win7!!!
As an aside, my University has banned Chrome from all work computers. If you install it they won't support any issues you might have

Yep, I tried my best to handle Win10, but gave up in despair! My local computer geek has been flat out (a lot of ol' fart retirees in my locale) reverting people back to Win7 - I just gave up in despair with Win10, hated it!!
Hey, what objection has your Uni got against Chrome? I've kinda been wondering if I should switch to Chrome (sorta prompted by comments from JimD above).
Maybe I'll wait a bit! :confused:

cheers, Ian - NZ

So both you and Brian are seeing this memory allocation error? The fact that it mentions the directory path "/home/xwebforu/public_html/..." indicated that the problem is originating at the server since Win7 doesn't have a "/home" directory.

Copy this direct link to the DF and paste it into another browser window and see what happens.

http://xwebforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Jim,

Discussion forum works OK if I am not logged in.

As soon as I log in...
With Edge or IE, I get a blank page.
With Chrome, I get Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 9906 bytes) in /home/xwebforu/public_html/includes/function_surreal.php on line 87

Thanks,

Brian

Similar effect with me, Brian.........!

....Discussion forum works OK if I am not logged in.
As soon as I log in With IE and With Chrome, I get Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 9906 bytes) in /home/xwebforu/public_html/includes/function_surreal.php on line 87...

Seems odd that it appears to be occurring to just you and me!! :sad:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Clear your caches

So much has happened since I was last here, sad for the loss of a lot of what has been on the board. Thank you to the worker bee's that are putting in many unpaid hours behind the scenes brining the board back up. Been thru this before with Danica Patricks old sponsor when on another board we missed an anniversary( by a few hours) , thanks for the dedicated effort men, its not easy.

Unlike BMK the board works from this end a little further down in this great southern land with the following browsers, from different machines.

Chrome 51
Firefox 47.0.1
Tails (Firefox locked down)
IE I can't say - sorry I won't use it.

Purge your browser caches and cookies folks.

Save you looking

It will force your browser to search and retrieve the most recent webpage elements. When a site goes down a browser needs to refresh instead of recycling the same old website components such as images, scripts, and other page snapshots. Memory exceptions are an indication a browser is in conflict between what it thinks it knows and what it sees.

Ian, if the IT guy can't put a 'start menu' app overlay onto Win 8 or 10 for the XP users to get the XP GUI back then look elsewhere for help. Win 10 for free expires soon (already?) for Win 8 Win users were recommend to jump on as Win 7 will follow XP over the unsupported cliff in a few years. I (like a lot of Corporates where Metro is unpopular) disliked Win 8 enough but 10 proved to be a snoop, so I understand firsthand the reluctance to move up, sadly the nature of the Web is that security is only afforded to 'supported' products in a ever more murky and dark place. On a brighter note Xweb is a welcoming harbour to be treasured. For me sadly XP is dead and we have three laptops that need it for the calibration test dataloggers in use - they don't access the Net. Your Win 7 can use IE 11 - think about upgrading. WRT Chrome being banned, Google makes cash from user data- you'd be amazed what it scoops up and it knows about you. For old machines there are a few Linux distros that emulate the old Win XP user interface nicely and are free, take a look. I have reformatted a heap of PCs with a bit of support for older Veterans (Windows XP’s refugees) for free when I have some spare time that just want to keep in touch on the Net and aren't interested in fathoming a new fangled operating system. Feedback from them in order of popularity

Mint (MATE or KDE desktops) in numero uno by far
Zorin
Elementary OS
There are several other Linux distributions that offer a “Windows XP” mode, LXLE desktop in XP mode looks okay. Depending on what hardware you have YMMV but in general they all run smoothly on old PCs.

Win IE does not support Win XP past IE 8 (and that horrid one in between that and 7 putts out at IE 9) from my feeble brain IE support

Windows XP IE 8
Vista IE 9
Win 7 & above IE 11

If this helps folks, keep your browser up to date

For those that want a decent secure browser IMHO try Firefox, in its various renditions has been a staple of mine even though I often use chrome. That TAILS (The Amnesic Incognito Live System) uses it in their secure portable operating system is an indication of its security features.

Yours aye

Sandy

Chrome

Hey, what objection has your Uni got against Chrome?

G'day Lawsa. Initially their objection was based on privacy issues. That then developed into technical/compatibility issues. We have an internal program that we use for what might be considered sensitive information and it has been developed to be used with IE, Safari and Firefox, but NOT Chrome.

Jim,

I reckon it's related to user settings.

I have "xweb 1.0 tree forum -vs- xweb 2.0 digest forum" always enabled.

If I disable it, I can get into DF.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Nice work Brian

Jim,

I reckon it's related to user settings.

I have "xweb 1.0 tree forum -vs- xweb 2.0 digest forum" always enabled.

If I disable it, I can get into DF.

Hope that helps.

Brian

I agree. I have never had that selection enabled, so I just enabled it to see what happens. With that enables the DF will not open. Very interesting and I am amazed you found that.

I am not afraid to admit that I never knew what that option was for.
:dunce:

Jim,

Well, now you know it's there, reading forums will be a whole new world of fun and enjoyment for you.

I'll forward an invoice.

Brian

Back