Weird Brake Issue

Re: different shoe self-adjusters

Mark,
If I'm not mistaken, those are completely wrong brake shoe adjusters and/or they are installed backwards. The hole in the cup should fit over a pin on the backing plate and a snap ring should face out.
I don't even know how they fit on now, since the pin would be in the way. I think I see a glimpse of a manual adjuster hiding behind the rear shoe? Is the snapring on the backside of the shoe holding on the spring? :confuse2:

The brake shoes shown on Marks car have the "next-generation" shoe adjusters as used on late Fiat 128, Strada, Yugo, etc.. They function basically the same as the old 850 ones, just cheaper/easier to manufacture. These shoes assemblies work just fine on 850's (the mounting pin on the backing plate fits into the center hole of the adjuster assembly). :)

Finally discovered the source of my brake woes. The front hoses are kinking when fully turning the wheel (this picture is with the wheels positioned straight forward):

This has been restricting fluid to the front brakes, causing the strange pedal sinking. I think the bracket that positions the hose to the caliper is angling the hose incorrectly. Anyone know if the bracket is different than what is on the X1/9 or 124?

The left hose completely ruptured today. Luckily, I was on a side street and was able to limp home on just the rear brakes.

Wow, a new thing to worry about. The clip, was it Actually for an 850 or could it have been from an X?

Either way glad the problem has been identified. Scary way to have it fail, I had a steel brake line blow on a big Ford one time on a very steep hill. Not a good moment as I was backing down a driveway, ended up hitting a house. You could see each time I pumped the brake with a splash of fluid on the ground leaving a dashed line trail on the ground.

Karl

The verdict is still out whether the 850 has a clip unique to itself or the same as one the X1/9, Scorpion, and 124. I will be fabricating braided lines that are about 2" longer to prevent them from kinking.

Wow, a new thing to worry about. The clip, was it Actually for an 850 or could it have been from an X?

Either way glad the problem has been identified. Scary way to have it fail, I had a steel brake line blow on a big Ford one time on a very steep hill. Not a good moment as I was backing down a driveway, ended up hitting a house. You could see each time I pumped the brake with a splash of fluid on the ground leaving a dashed line trail on the ground.

Karl

Ouch!

The verdict is still out whether the 850 has a clip unique to itself or the same as one the X1/9, Scorpion, and 124.

The 850 clips do indeed have a different length & angle(s) than the clips used on other Fiats. You can get the correct ones using Fiat part #4117217 (right) & #4117216 (left), or I can mail you a used pair if none of the vendors are stocking these items.

You might try adjusting the angle of the hose to about 30º to the caliper (ie: pointing more towards the central floor tunnel), rather than straight out as in your photo. Your retainer clip looks a bit twisted (counter-clockwise) on the small "arm" where the hold-down bolt goes into the caliper body. Straighten/flatten that out, & the hose-retainer part on the other end of the clip should rotate/pivot (clockwise) a wee bit, which will also help the hose to line up at a better angle relative to the caliper. :wink2:

I'll take you up on the clips. I checked with my regular sources but came up empty handed.

The 850 clips do indeed have a different length & angle(s) than the clips used on other Fiats. You can get the correct ones using Fiat part #4117217 (right) & #4117216 (left), or I can mail you a used pair if none of the vendors are stocking these items.

You might try adjusting the angle of the hose to about 30º to the caliper (ie: pointing more towards the central floor tunnel), rather than straight out as in your photo. Your retainer clip looks a bit twisted (counter-clockwise) on the small "arm" where the hold-down bolt goes into the caliper body. Straighten/flatten that out, & the hose-retainer part on the other end of the clip should rotate/pivot (clockwise) a wee bit, which will also help the hose to line up at a better angle relative to the caliper. :wink2:

Back