Lou Ames 1933-2014 Passed away. He was a legend on the VARA tracks

jjay911

True Classic
Sad to report that my buddy Lou Ames (not his real name but he didnt tell everyone that) passed away in February of Cancer. Sorry I didnt get around to saying much as this year has been super busy. Some of you may recognize him for he used to come to the Best of France show every year to sell parts. Lou, if you knew him was very well respected driver on the VARA race tracks. He never let lack of money stop him. In his later years he lived in a trailer and lived on a Social security income and still managed to keep racing. Even though his 850 had one third the power of most of the competitors, he was always given kudos for not getting tangled in accidents. The most that ever happened to him in all those years of racing was an occasional off track jaunt. I believe he raced up until the 2012 season.

Lou started vintage racing before they called it Vintage racing. He has raced with the likes of Parnelli Jones and Steve McQueen. Lou told me that he first started racing in 1952. Those paying attention thats 60 years racing.

Over the past 5 years I had been Helped him to sell off couple of cars and below I have attached some pictures. Lou had a really cool 850 that was turned into a dedicated race car. He always had his little dog Jumpin Jack Flash at the races and at the car shows with him. And loved all kinds of cars. He has had some of the expensive exotics as well as several Alfas and X 1/9s. Below you will see I took some pictures the day his Fiat 850 was loaded up at California Shipping on its way to the Isle of Man where its new owner races it.
Lou was a fighter. Last time We saw each other he had just had surgery. Was using a Cane and had an Oxygen bottle and at 80 was still driving a Stick shift. One of the last pics I took of Lou was in his X 1/9 as he road off into the sunset holding up a fist full of cash. It was his way saying thanks for helping him I guess.
Got to love him.

Sad to report that my buddy Lou Ames (not his real name but he didnt tell everyone that) passed away in February of Cancer. Sorry I didnt get around to saying much as this year has been super busy. Some of you may recognize him for he used to come to the Best of France show every year to sell parts. Lou, if you knew him was very well respected driver on the VARA race tracks. He never let lack of money stop him. In his later years he lived in a trailer and lived on a Social security income and still managed to keep racing. Even though his 850 had one third the power of most of the competitors, he was always given kudos for not getting tangled in accidents. The most that ever happened to him in all those years of racing was an occasional off track jaunt. I believe he raced up until the 2012 season.

Lou started vintage racing before they called it Vintage racing. He has raced with the likes of Parnelli Jones and Steve McQueen. Lou told me that he first started racing in 1952. Those paying attention thats 60 years racing.

Over the past 5 years I had been Helped him to sell off couple of cars and below I have attached some pictures. Lou had a really cool 850 that was turned into a dedicated race car. He always had his little dog Jumpin Jack Flash at the races and at the car shows with him. And loved all kinds of cars. He has had some of the expensive exotics as well as several Alfas and X 1/9s. Below you will see I took some pictures the day his Fiat 850 was loaded up at California Shipping on its way to the Isle of Man where its new owner races it.
Lou was a fighter. Last time We saw each other he had just had surgery. Was using a Cane and had an Oxygen bottle and at 80 was still driving a Stick shift. One of the last pics I took of Lou was in his X 1/9 as he road off into the sunset holding up a fist full of cash. It was his way saying thanks for helping him I guess.
Got to love him.

I'm only just hearing about Lous passing. I kept wondering if he was still around but I guess he'd be pretty old by now.
I stopped by his house as he was on the mend from a heart attack bacl around 2013 he suffered while driving his black X1/9.
We spent the day rummaging around his parts supply and boy! I purchased a wealth of 850 Sport Spider parts.
We had so much fun hanging out, I came back the following day for more rummaging.
As the sun was setting, Lou asked if I'd be interested in his X1/9. He'll, I just spent two stacks of cash on the parts but what the heck. I took a look and out back and like he said, there was his black X1/9 sitting in the tall grass which was growing up around it.
I took the car for a spin and was sold.
I still have Lou's X1/9 and I still think of him and his great stories of the track each time I drive and tinker with it. She's getting ready for a complete set of brake calipers, rotors, pads, hoses, and we'll I'm at it, rebuilt pedal box.
After the brakes, she'll get paint & body, a new set of wheels, and sheepskin seat covers.
Thanks Lou for everything! Rip. . .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1609232809468.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609232809468.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 108
  • FB_IMG_1609232806297.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609232806297.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 99
I'm only just hearing about Lous passing. I kept wondering if he was still around but I guess he'd be pretty old by now.
I stopped by his house as he was on the mend from a heart attack bacl around 2013 he suffered while driving his black X1/9.
We spent the day rummaging around his parts supply and boy! I purchased a wealth of 850 Sport Spider parts.
We had so much fun hanging out, I came back the following day for more rummaging.
As the sun was setting, Lou asked if I'd be interested in his X1/9. He'll, I just spent two stacks of cash on the parts but what the heck. I took a look and out back and like he said, there was his black X1/9 sitting in the tall grass which was growing up around it.
I took the car for a spin and was sold.
I still have Lou's X1/9 and I still think of him and his great stories of the track each time I drive and tinker with it. She's getting ready for a complete set of brake calipers, rotors, pads, hoses, and we'll I'm at it, rebuilt pedal box.
After the brakes, she'll get paint & body, a new set of wheels, and sheepskin seat covers.
Thanks Lou for everything! Rip. . .
Yea he used to drive his X around town with his Dog and his Oxygen bottle. A few months after he passed his son asked that I come back out and pick up the rest of his parts. I responded that I though I purchase all the parts and he said no and showed me an additional garage full. I donated many of the parts to a local 850 shop in Newport and the Alfa Romeo engine went to a buddy and I still have some of his parts laying around my storage. He should have been running a city with his ability to live on a 1200 dollar a month budget and still go racing on the weekends..

Back