Bike Rack for X1/9

LoveX1/9s

True Classic
Anyone have any luck carting their bike? I'm thinking the best is a bike rack for a trailer hitch but it looks like it will need some custom work off the floor jack point. Or is there a bike rack that you can hook onto the trunk? Any ideas?

I saw this in the forums under the user X1/9Cruiser maybe ask him?
IMG_0373.JPG

I have also posted a question on tow bars. Check it out as i have also put up a diagram how to install the tow bar.

Rack

YXwithBikeCrop.jpg

This is one of these inexpensive universal ones, with rubber feet and straps. Pic from 1988 on my first X.

Lots of ideas here...

http://www.discountramps.com/bike-r...78CFQwGaQodbFYAvg&CA_6C15C=820565470000013218

I was gonna suggest using a "universal" style roof rack... but most production ones are made to be fitted on stock, factory roof rails or racks...

I suppose they could be modified and I suppose one could be permanently affixed to a spare top as well.

Personally though... building a 2" tow receiver and installing one of those ball-mount racks is my preference.

Have fun and post your fotos here!

I have a roof mounted one

This belonged to Mark Plaia who took an old top and modified it by bolting a rail directly onto the top.

If anyone is interested in this top it's up for grabs free of charge, but I have no interest in shipping it. I'm in Springfield, OR and could arrange to bring it as far north as Seattle at some point this fall, and as far south as Ashland, OR to next year's campout.

-Dean

FREE Top with Roof Mounted Bike Rack...

And built by our own Mark Plaia... which should mean its done well...

I MIGHT be interested just because it was his... but mainly wanted to say...

My brother MIGHT be coming down that way around the 22nd and could fetch it and deliver it to someone along the way or on the way back to Long Beach Washington.

Just sayin'...

This belonged to Mark Plaia who took an old top and modified it by bolting a rail directly onto the top.

If anyone is interested in this top it's up for grabs free of charge, but I have no interest in shipping it. I'm in Springfield, OR and could arrange to bring it as far north as Seattle at some point this fall, and as far south as Ashland, OR to next year's campout.

-Dean

I was looking everywhere for a pic of that bike rack/roof thing Mark did but could only find a single post with no pic :( Do you happen to have a pic handy?

Simple, effective, and it would appear you could...

easily mount 2 or 3 or 4 bikes... especially if they are really light.

I would think that Mark also reinforced the roof underneath with some very large washers or (aluminum) cross beams. I am sure it would be necessary if more than one bike was mounted, especially relative to cross winds.

(I'm looking up as I type this thinking... Good job, Mark! I miss him...)

Bike Rack

I built a rack onto the rear bumper, used a 2" Reese style. I bolted from underneath a single large bolt up through the beam and the lower bumper. I then ran 7/8" angle iron from the lowest point on the beam to the mounting bolts of the rear bumper. Slightly triangulated so it firmed things up pretty well. I've yet to figure out posting photos here, sorry. I carry my low racer recumbent no problem.

SeaSucker?

I just got my old X back in good running condition, and have been thinking about bike racks.

I wonder whether one of these would work:

https://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

The fork holder might mount on the top of the windshield, and the wheel might mount right at the rear edge of the roof. The three questions I have are 1) whether the cups would obscure the view out the windshield (maybe would have to mount on passenger side?), 2) whether the cups would stick to the textured roof, and 3) whether there whether the roof is deep enough for the front fork to rear wheel span.

That said, I have an old rack (forget the brand) that mounts on the rear bumper/trunk. It worked just fine the last time I used it a decade ago and it is probably the easiest option.

I don't like the THOUGHT of using these...

But I'm old...

I did install a few "tub rails" that stick on the shower walls but need to TEST them every time I grab hold. The new materials and the like are sure a lot better than the days of old... but even the instructions say to test them first!

Alas... sticking these on metal just might tweak the metal... I doubt it would break glass, but just come off...

I'd stick (pun intended) with the tried and true...

Mark's bike mount top

Tony, I'm around and could get it to Joe (did I remember that right?) for the trip down to you. Let me know if you want it, and we'll make it happen.

Greg, thanks for posting the pic's of the '74 with the bike rack top. I didn't have any.

-Dean

What I did...

Got a receiver thing from WALMART and mounted it inside the bumper. Strong enough to support an elephant (baby)...

On the underside I cut a larger than necessary access hole to bolt/unbolt it

When not in use, the receiver came with a rubber cover plug

OK Dean...

Thanks... I'll let you know if and when Joe is coming down... but if someone else wants it to use... let them have it.

I was primarily offering the possibility of a ride down south (or back up to WA) because of shipping issues...

The rack itself is just something of HIS that I wanted to cling to I guess. He was a fine friend... I don't really need it or want it... (I'm kinda stumbling for words as that's how my mind is going on this subject...)

Thanks for listening...

I was thinking bike racks recently...

Hi from across the pond!

I think one of the cheap racks could be modified by lengthening the top 'arms' to sit behind the engine cover? Although that might not even be necessary?
Then the 'feet' would sit on the 1500 bumper. I will have to put my bumper back on!
paddy-hopkirk-dartmoor-car-bike-rack-large.jpg

I recently put my mountain bike on the passenger seat. Removed the wheels and bike seat. Used some sheet and small bits of cardboard to protect the interior. The 26" wheels fit in the under the bonnet but no room to take the roof :)

Its not a small frame either..

Obviously no room for passengers...

33483_1282290357069_7593517_n.jpg

33483_1282290317068_7651671_n.jpg

Made this myself, cost was no more than $20. Though I had a spare roof, and didn't mind bolting a carrier for the rear tire on the trunk.

Or try one of these https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/
This is a really good option if you don't want to make any modifications. I have seen them in use, and they work perfectly.

Back