Bosch relay

Caper X1/9

'78 Original owner
What would be the difference between a Bosch relay "014 107" and "204 107" other than the red stripe. Which could be used in the recently posted wiper mod?
Thanks, David

Did you look at the schematic stamped into the case?

Bayless has pics of 014 107

Googling the #'s the 204 107 is a 20/30a, which work be fine. It may have a diode bridge to prevent feedback, I don't know.

Any normally open relay would work, you just need to check the load rating to confirm it is appropriate.

Relay identification

The red stripe was used on metal housing Bosch relays to differentiate between normal relays and switching (red stripe) relays.

It's more important to look at the pin-out diagram on the relay housing to see what it does:

This is a SPDT (single pole, double throw) or switching relay. The output power changes from the "87a" tab to the "87" tab when energized by a signal.
IMG_9102.jpg

This is a SPST (single pole, single throw) or normal (normally open) relay. The output power only goes to the "87" tab, or both "87" tabs, when energized by a signal.
IMG_9103.jpg

This is the 192D relay available from NAPA that is similar to the second one above.
IMG_9104.jpg

Some SPST relays sold for this purpose have only one "87" tab.

For the wiper relay modification, un-striped or "normal" SPST relays should be used. SPDT or switching relays are used for the headlight motors and A/C controls among others. In some cases, SPDT relays can be used in the place of the SPST relay, but you have to be sure of the pin-out requirement of the relay socket or application.

The SPST relays that have two "87" outputs are handy for lighting upgrades, since both "87" tabs are powered when the relay is energized.

Please note my comment to the wiper relay diagram as created by Les; the "30" terminal is nearly always used for power input. "30" is the label given to the power input on wiring digrams like batteries and starters for instance. Following the standards for wiring helps avoid confusion in the future.

Hope this helps!:nod:

Thank you both

A big thank you to both Joe and Greg. Not having an electrical background it is reassuring to know that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on the site. Greg, I caught your correction to Les's schematic on the slow wiper thread.
David

Back