Rust - Where to look?

WildWilly

True Classic
Possibly looking at a 79 later this week. The pictures look good, but we all know that doesn't mean anything. Where are the common spots underneath to be looking for rust?? Thanks....

everywhere :)

especially pockets... anywhere moisture and dirt may collect. Remove plastic wheel well guards if possible.

rear frame for aft suspension pickups are notorious for rusting, they can be repaired but it is a structural piece so best to check that well.

bring a body hammer and tap around a little if the guy lets you

don't see it in the rain and bring a flashlight :)

everywhere :)

especially pockets... anywhere moisture and dirt may collect. Remove plastic wheel well guards if possible.

rear frame for aft suspension pickups are notorious for rusting, they can be repaired but it is a structural piece so best to check that well.

bring a body hammer and tap around a little if the guy lets you

don't see it in the rain and bring a flashlight :)
Some good advice but a body hammer? You mean like a metal hammer or is this something I do not know about? I would freak if someone wanted to start tapping on my car with a hammer. Might as well bring an ice pick. Wait... Didn't mean to come on so strong but after rereading I think you are talking about around the suspension. That's not a bad idea after all but make it a small hammer. For some reason I was picturing tapping around on the fenders and the like. A weak magnet for checking for bondo would be helpful. There are magnetic gages that can give an idea if the thickness of fillers.

Sorry for confusion about hammers.. yes better to not start denting the body lol.

I mean a small hammer that you can use to tap on rusted chassis bits like the cross member if in doubt of rust severity. A screwdriver works too.

Also...

Rear trunk under mat and/or above exhaust. Rear back wheel wells inide trunk. Windshield frame. Rockers. Front door supports. Drip tray by windshield wipers, drains get plugged. Under and near brake reservoir. Under battery. Everywhere... then check again... then step back... then again lol

Sorry for confusion about hammers.. yes better to not start denting the body lol.

I mean a small hammer that you can use to tap on rusted chassis bits like the cross member if in doubt of rust severity. A screwdriver works too.

Also...

Rear trunk under mat and/or above exhaust. Rear back wheel wells inide trunk. Windshield frame. Rockers. Front door supports. Drip tray by windshield wipers, drains get plugged. Under and near brake reservoir. Under battery. Everywhere... then check again... then step back... then again lol

All that and around exhaust, exhaust hangers and the rear quarter panels like where the tail pipe exits. The 79 of course has the big bumpers with the elephant ears so you got to really look well around those corners.

mine has rust on nearly ALL the above mentioned places, inside the doors too, along the bottom, rusting from the inside out, rear trunk access panel is missing the lower 1.5" and the body lip it bolts to is gone as well, even so, the car doesn't care...........yet, eventually it will fall apart but they are so solid, I'm not too worried

Back