Opinion Wanted

WildWilly

True Classic
I know this is a totally subjective matter and there will be pros and cons to both sides. However, I would like some feedback if you don't mind a few seconds of your time.

All things being equal, would you purchase a '74-'78 X1/9 with the 1300 engine or a '79-'80 X1/9 with a 1500 motor? If anyone would like to elaborate in why they feel one way or the other, that is also appreciated.

Xs after '80 have been left off as I am not interested in an FI car.

Here is why I ask.... I'm am rebuilding my '78 motor, but a '79 might have just fallen in my lap for a good price. Do I sink money into the '78 or get it running well, move on and sink money into the '79.

Of course, I'm trying to convince my wife to let me keep both:) One can never have too many Xs!!

Thanks...

Whichever has the best body

Honestly, I would buy whichever X was in the best condition regarding the body and interior. The mechanicals can be swapped between all years if you so desire, but you can't "fix" a rust bucket on a budget.

I am swapping a 1500/FI into my 78, but sticking with the 4-spd since it is still in good shape. Going to FI has been a PITA, but I prefer it.

I don't usually give "opinions"...

and I ain't touching this subject either, even with FACTS!

So... what are ya gonna do... approach Mrs. Willy with the consensus of opinions given here? Good luck with that one fella!

(Just a few things though... I had another '79 drop into my lap and I built it in a manner that was very close to my other one. Then I didn't know which one to choose. If I had made one an all out RACE CAR, and the other one a SUNDAY CRUISER... I would have saved myself from that dilemma. '74s through '78s make excellent RACERS, '79 through '88s make excellent CRUISERS. Ya might try that logic on Mrs. Willy... but be ready to DUCK!)

Jim's Advice Is Solid

Honestly, I would buy whichever X was in the best condition regarding the body and interior. The mechanicals can be swapped between all years if you so desire, but you can't "fix" a rust bucket on a budget. QUOTE]

I have a '87 Bertone with a 1300 carbureted motor mated to a 5-speed. I have the benefit of a sound body with nice touches such as power windows, and a very easy to work on de-smogged motor.

My $0.02

Last edited:
I will just say that I have a '77 with a 1300 and stock 4-speed trans, but one which has been improved with:
  • Shaved 1500 head
  • FAZA 35/75 cam
  • Weber 34 DMSA carb
  • Headers and (homemade) free-flow exhaust
  • Allison electronic ignition
I love the way it all works and I have no trouble keeping up with any of the 5-speed 1500s on our club drives. I wouldn't swap it for a later 1500 car, and that's after having had a (bought-new) '86.
But of course, most of the other folks in our club have 1500 cars and think I'm slow (the car and me personally). I don't care.

Mrs. WIlly....

She's pretty good about it all. As long as I don't break the bank and she can still going shopping when she wants.

All opinions are welcome, no one opinion is wrong, its what we all like. Just trying to gauge the thoughts of the pros on here who've owned all sorts of Xs in every possible configuration. I would eventually like an X that I can take to car shows and maybe even win the odd trophy! But I still want to enjoy driving, no trailer queens for me.

'81 FI here.
I got the impression that the 1300 revs more and thus can be "sportier" even if it isn't making the ponies as the 1500.
I like my 1500/5 speed with FI (all I've ever had) but I cruise and commute in it a lot too. Bit better gearing for that with the 5 speed I guess and the FI is nice once sorted. There's days I wish for revvier/better sounding sportier sounding but as a DD that sees some highway runs/cruising, I'm good.

All things being equal, would you purchase a '74-'78 X1/9 with the 1300 engine or a '79-'80 X1/9 with a 1500 motor?

The '74 is different in enough interesting ways (not all good) that you should be probably be asking about the '75-'78 not '74-'78. With that said...

If by "all things equal" you mean that both bodies are equally free of rust and both interiors are sound, then you should choose on the basis of which interior style you prefer and how you like the looks of the engine cover and bumpers. There's no reason to decide on the basis of the motor and drivetrain because that's easy to swap out, and everything else is equal, so what's left?

In practice, everything else is never equal and JimD's answer (whichever has body and interior in better condition) is the real-world answer.

I agree with the opinion that the quality of the car is important.

but - since buying an X1/9 is purely an emotional decsion, look at each and ask yourself which one will visually make you happiest.

For me, that's a '74 model.

Man,

A lot of X's trading hands lately - I am with Zonker with the specific year and agree with others on the quality of the car itself (straight, rust,etc). All the other things can be had but another way of looking at it is asking "what year would I REALLY like to own?" For me, its the unobtanium year cars, the really unique ones that I would fish for next...

Back