Where's the best city/town in Italy

DarrenHNZ

True Classic
to get X1/9 parts.......Taking my gorgeous wife home to meet my family in the UK next Jun and then jumping on a ferry to France and driving down to Italy for a 6 week honeymoon :) Got a few Kiwi $$$$$$$ saved and an excess baggage allowance :)

It's tuff to beat Rome

I toured the major points of the country several years back, and Rome really has the most to see in 1 area.
But there are several other great places as well, like Milano, Venice, Assisi and several others.

For X1/9 parts forget Italy and go to Holland

Last time I was in Italy, I tried to find X1/9 parts and everyone laughed at me.

Henk seems to have all the X1/9 parts in Holland now.:)

Forget Italy for X1/9 stuff, Daz.....!

I totally agree with Todd on this matter, mate!!
In mid-2000, (not very long after I had bought my X1/9) a friend and I were touring thru France, Italy, and Belgium.
I (innocently) thought it would be a great opportunity to pick up some X1/9 parts/info that were not available in NZ.
We were staying in Ostia - not too far out of Rome - and when driving into Rome soon after arriving, I spotted a LARGE Fiat dealership on the main road heading into Rome.
I went in to the Parts Dept to enquire about X1/9 parts availability, only to be met with a puzzled look from the parts counter guy who opened up a huge All-model Fiat Parts catalogue, shook his head, and said "X1/9 not Fiat model, maybe you try Alfa or Lancia dealer!"
With that response, I gave up looking in Europe for X1/9 parts!
(I didn't know Paul in the Netherlands back in those days.)
So, best of luck in your search, buddy!! :)

cheers, Ian - NZ

Sounds like I'll be handbag shopping then :-(

Something not to look forward to ........I'm going to make my mission to come back with something for my X1/9.......Ian you did take money when you went looking didn't you :)

I took heaps, mate......!

...........Ian you did take money when you went looking didn't you :)......

.....and it disappears into thin air over in that part of the world!
You will have to unlock that BIG padlock on your wallet if you are going to treat your new lady to what she deserves!!
Try staying for a night or 2 at a hotel in Monaco or Florence!! :shock:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Maybe visit the Bertone museum in Turin or the close by Maserati plant in Grugliasco which was the old Bertone factory.

Not sure if the bankruptcy is going to shut down the museum but the collection is classified as part of Italy’s heritage by the country’s Ministry of Culture so it can only be sold in one piece and it has to remain within Italy.

I lived around Naples when my dad (U.S. Navy) was stationed there in the 70's. I still have lots of friends who go there to visit relatives, and we're all biased towards it.

That being said... I think the Rome suggestion is the winner. The sheer amount of history is stunning. You're also closer to Pisa/Florence, etc if you want to hit those sites.

Personally Naples and the south is better if you know where you're going! The food is great, but there is much in that area that shocks the 'typical' traveler. Even friends of mine who lived there go back and voice disappointment at the garbage or crime that has infiltrated the idyllic little areas where we lived growing up. Heroin and the associated crime is a very big problem near my old neighborhood for example.

I have a friend who is in Ravello right now, visiting her parents... the pictures I'm getting on facebook are simply stunning. Google up some images on that place and prepare to be jealous!

Berni Motori?

Darren, I would check out Berni Motori in Maleo (between Milan and Cremona). I was in Italy last year but unfortunately was not able to get there, but would have loved to.

Check out their website first though to see if they may have what you are after.... http://www.bernimotori.com

Regular FIAT dealers don't even seem to carry accessories for modern FIATs. We called in to a FIAT dealer between Modena and Brescia and my mate was looking for seat covers and floor mats for his FIAT 500, but they had nothing.

This September I will be driving through Belgium, so will be calling in to Guy Moerenhout's Abarth Museum and business in Lier.

(I see a few replies on here misread your question and have given you travel advice!)

All the best for your trip

Back