Strange Issue with 87 X19

budzinsk

1987 Bertone X1/9, 1986 Alfa Romeo Graduate
HI. I have a 1987 x19. I have had the car for 19 years, it is all original... It runs well and is reliable. Today after driving for 20 minutes - pushing it hard through the corners, it lost all power. It idled perfect, but anything over 2500 rpms and it just died. It was running on all cylinders at idle and up through 2500 rpms, but anything over it and it would start to die. I stopped thinking something clogged the fuel pump and hoped letting it sit would dislodge it, no such luck. I limped it along for 4 miles and it got worse. All of a sudden it sounded like it backfired through the intake (not loud) and this issue was fixed..... It ran perfect the whole way home. Like I said this is al original (fuel pump, etc...). I replaced all fuel lines and injector lines 2 years ago along with the fuel filter. I did a cap and rotor/plug tune up 2 years ago along with all belts, hoses, brake lines.... Before I replace the fuel pump, does anyone have any ideas? I have a bunch of extra distributor pickups, computers, ignition boxes, etc..... I am just not sure if the issue is fuel related or ignition... Any ideaS?

I'd guess ignition related. I swapped in a different distributor this spring, just testing vacuum advance stuff, ran fine for several trips then while cruising at 30mph it suddenly lost power, backfired (violently) and died. When home, I put in the old distributor/all good again. I would suggest carrying spare ignition bits (since you have them) and if it happens again, start swapp'n.

FIRST and FOREMOST... Take a peek at the coil...

There are two wire terminations clipped on a 2-1 "brass" adapter on one post.

These have a tradition of "falling off"...

If not... then you wanna walk through the FI Trouble-shooting Guide and follow a sequence... Proving each issue and each component. It still may be fuel related.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/fits/index.html#ljetguide

Sorry for your trouble... let us know if we can help...

I would look at how smoothly the flap in the airflow meter moves through the range of motion. It sounds like it was hanging up which kept it from revving past 2500.

Also have a look at the coolant temp sensor connection which can have a similar adverse effect on the ability to rev.

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks Everyone! I will start my troubleshooting this week....

Also look for cracks in the main air hose.

I had exactly that issue with my old Passat. The engine mounts were soft and allowed the engine to pull away from the AFM which brought it back to idle. I needed up driving in reverse at relatively high speed for three miles to get back to home as driving in reverse tended to close up the tear in the hose. Made for some funny looks that day...

That is the issue

Thanks everyone. The issues appears to be the AFM. The same thing happened last weekend. I was able to pull over, undo the hose and push the flap in the AFM - it freed itself and ran fine. I guess the question is, why is it sometimes sticking and how do I fix that?

Thanks,
Rob

What I had to do with mine a few years ago.
Take some carb cleaner and an old tooth brush and lightly scrub and spray and you will feel it free up. It should not stick at all. The flap should move freely.

John

If it is sticking because an edge rubs, it's likely caused by a backfire at some point in the past. You can use oil and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to wear down the area of the tunnel where it rubs, be careful to wipe clean the area of all of the debris.

Said many times before but worth saying again...

This forum rocks!
Lots of great suggestions from the members here who have also helped me countless times before.

Nice job members :)

afm

fiat had a problem with backfiring and the door would warp causing the sticking of the door. you can sand it to remove the "warp", but it causes too much air to pass confusing the rest of the fuel injection.
they came out with an aluminum/rubber stop on the later AFM's.
I have several late model AFM's on the fs&w on the forum if interested
mikemo90*aol.com

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. Mark, mine is a 87, but if it has the old style AFM, I will let you know!
Rob

Back