Paging Owners of Early Cars ('74-'78) w/ Factory AC

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
I am curious about the wacka-doodle factory water pump for early cars ('74-'78) wih factory A/C that I saw on eBay.

Here's a pic lifted from the MWB site:
fiat-waterpump-1300-air-nopulley.jpg

Does anyone have pics of this as installed on the engine? I am very curious about it and how and where the A/C compressor is installed.

I don't have pics, but the AC compressor is driven off the double v pulley on the flywheel side of things, and the compressor mounts to the block with the clutch pulley facing the LH side of the car.

Was looking at some blocks last night...

I've got a pretty good stash of 1300 engine blocks and did find what I think is a A/C specific block. This block has bosses located in the right spot to mount the A/C compressor. Those bosses are not on the other blocks I looked at.

I parted out a couple of early cars with A/C, I think this block may have come out of one of those early cars.

Mike Hynes
Two 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s

If this is in fact true, the engineer who designed the A/C addon has done a very very poor job.
Two versions of a block means huge added manufacturing and logistics complication and cost. And all that for such a "small" reason.

128s with A/C?

You're right, it would have added expense, a LOT more expense if there weren't other 1300 based cars that had A/C too. Does anyone know if the 128 was ever offered with A/C? There were a BUNCH of 128s made, maybe the cost was justified that way? They must have REALLY wanted A/C on something - just look at what they did to the water pump! Not really a dealer add-on solution. Of course they could have just used "A/C" blocks for all engines without adding too much expense. It would be interesting to learn why they did what they did.

The question is: What are the extra bosses for if they didn't mount the A/C compressor, and how did the A/C compressor mount if the block didn't have any bosses to mount it on?

One other specific block, the carbed 1500s - had a bunch of EGR stuff on them. I suppose more carbed 1500s were built than 1300 based A/C cars though.

I never did actually drive any early A/C cars, I can only imagine what effects the extra weight and addition power demands had on the car? I guessing that A/C was determined to be a must have for the NA market?

Mike Hynes
Two 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s

a/c

yes there were a/c specific blocks for the 128 and x. also for the strada.
on the inset of 77 all blocks were cast with the bosses undrilled or tapped, hence the importance of the spares #. in late 78, fiat decided to unload the early a/c specific and non bossed 1300 for dealer cost of $300.-$400. each. if I knew then what I know now..........I woulda bought them all!! but that was a lot of money for a struggling parts guy back then:sigh:
mikemo90*aol.com

Pics to follow

I just picked up a 1300 motor with ac. It's missing the compressor but I'll take some pics once I get it out of the car and post for you.

A/C

I just picked up a 1300 motor with AC. The compressor is missing and maybe a few other bits. I can take a pic and send you if you like with that thing on the engine so you can see it if others haven't answered you already.

Back