Rubber grommet on front radius arm mount?!

Hmmm...

Hi Dave. This is all most strange. But it is starting to make sense to me now...

According to my official Fiat factory parts book (for '79-'81 X1/9), the part in Larry's diagram labeled as #8 is indeed 4290680 (the NLA part you found in an old MWB listing) and is called a ring. So it would appear that you are absolutely correct Dave.

I think where some of the confusion lies is that there is another rubber bushing ( #4 in Larry's diagram - Fiat # 4252182 ) on the wheel side of the bracket that is not shown in Larry's diagram (or in my parts book) . If you didn't know that the plastic ring (4290680) even existed - and it seems many here even deny its existence - then you would think that # 8 is actually the missing #4. Which it is not, if that makes any sense....

I would dare to suggest that even Chris made this error, because he says (in his listing for 4252182 ) that 4252182 replaces 4290680. Which may well be incorrect....but then again perhaps I am incorrect..

It would appear - from Dave's description and the MWB listing - that 4290680 is indeed a plastic (not rubber) ring. Even MWB wishes you luck in installing it without breaking it....

And yes Dave, it appears that none of our usual vendors seem to have any 4290680. Even a quick google search didn't really find any.

But....I did find a couple of sources that indicated that 4290680 was superceded to Fiat # 7668397, which comes up on google as for a Fiat Panda. And interestly enough, my Fiat/IAP price list from 1991 shows that 7668397 was replaced by 4290680. So it would appear they are indeed the same part.

And - wait for it - yessir - 7668397 indeed appears as an AVAILABLE part on Obert's website.
http://www.fiatplus.com/RADIUS-ARM-PLASTIC-BUSHING.html
Yipee. As a "radius arm plastic bushing for 128". But in his "unknown parts" file. And the picture looks right. And at a quite agreeable price of $1.25 each !!! Suggest you order some before Chris realizes what they actually are and prices them properly LOL !!!

And hey Chris, if you are reading this, I'd like to hear your take on all this. Please dont take any of this as being critical. And by the way, I have noticed that your website was recently revamped. Looks nice....but... I cant now seem to figure out how to tell if you actually have current stock of parts listed. The old website showed actual stock levels of every part - I cant seem to find that info on the new website. Am I missing something ? It sure would be nice to know if the part you want to order is in stock or not.

Cheers, Doug

Last edited:
And hey Chris, if you are reading this, I'd like to hear your take on all this. Please dont take any of this as being critical. And by the way, I have noticed that your website was recently revamped. Looks nice....but... I cant now seem to figure out how to tell if you actually have current stock of parts listed. The old website showed actual stock levels of every part - I cant seem to find that info on the new website. Am I missing something ? It sure would be nice to know if the part you want to order is in stock or not.

Cheers, Doug

Doug,
No offense taken. And thank you for determining the identification of 7668397!

Yes, I did have to upgrade the web store. It was related to Microsoft ending their support of windows professional... We have had to upgrade everything, to the tune of thousands of dollars. It was 6 years old, after all...
My understanding of how anything only 6 years old could be so outdated shows how much out of it with computers I really am, I have been dragged kicking and screaming the entire way.
Keep in mind that I am still in the 80s technological, and I drive Italian cars made in the 60s every day...
And my favorite line has been:
But the old web store did it!

Btw, the new web store still has some teething problems that I can't afford to have fixed this month. But we are finding many new issues since it went live late last month, so if you are experiencing any issues with it I want to hear about it. Then I can start a ticket so the host will know what's not working...
Some of it is being fixed for free, and some will have to be prioritized and put in the que to fix when I can afford it...

Back to the part.

The quantity available is just to the left of the green add to cart button. I just followed the link you posted, and see that I have 30 of the little things..
I will update the store next week. Meanwhile, what should I change the price to now that we know what it is?

Haha! Just fooling, I'll leave the price as I want to sell the things, not die with them!
Chris Obert

Funny and tragic

I just got back from the machine shop that agreed to make me some. The price is shocking. Inwas prepared to pay $50 to have them made. His hourly wage is pretty high. Dunno what to do now.

Last edited:
I JUST ORDERED THREE

My thinking was one could be sacrificial if installation is difficult. Doug, I owe you a huge debt of thanks.

Hi Dave. You are most welcome. I'm 99% sure that the 7668397 from Obert is EXACTLY the part you are looking for. Good luck on the install. Maybe try soaking them in hot soapy water before trying to install. Let us know how it goes.

And Chris, I reckon that this part probably ( ? ) fits ALL x1/9s, 128 coupe and 3P (not sedans and wagons), Scorpion, and maybe some euro models like Panda or such.

Thanks for the pointer on how to find stock levels. Sorry I was too dumb to figure that out on my own. And yeah, I agree this constant forced upgrading is just ridiculous. Your old web site worked just fine for me too !! I still run my business on Windows 95......still works just fine for me thank you......

In case anyone is still watching this thread...

...they ARE the correct grommet. They go in with difficulty, but I got them and didn't break them. Glad I bought three, as I bashed one up pretty well, though. The ones that were successfully installed were abraded a bit, as I had to try several times. But I think they'll work fine.

I tried two methods: smearing some synthetic grease on them to get them to slip in and throwing them in a pan of nearly boiling water. The water is the way to go, as they remain very stiff and very slippery with the grease.

That it. Figure folks would want to know. Plan to torque the front end down tonight.

I was thinking about buying a pair (and new radius bushes) - however your price is 17.99 per bush, VS 8.99 for a pair from Bayless - just curious if yours are a poly version? Seems steep for standard composition replacments. The web page doesn't give any specifics as far as improved compound, etc....

Back