Steering Rack Question

WildWilly

True Classic
1974 X, loose in the front end, confused what to fix. Looking at the manual, it "seems" that the inner tie rod end (they call it ball joint) is replaceable on the left (driver) side, but not replaceable on the right (passenger) side. Is it replaceable but just not shown? I have a new tie rod end, when I ordered from VAS, they said no difference left or right. Do I really need a new steering rack if its just the joint? Pic attached from manual. I have the part labelled 5. Many thanks....

You need part number 18 which is the bushing that has disintegrated after 42 years

1974 inner tie rod end looks different to that...which is the later style ITRE.. early type is not a sealed complete unit but comes apart and has it's own adjustment (and sometimes play)

But it's about 99% sure if it's on the passenger side and you have up/down movement of the ITRE then the nylon bush (Fiat p/n 4330731) will be toast.

SteveC

74 Pic/Diagram

Any chance any one has a pic/diagram from the service manual for the 74? Would like to see this before I order anything. Thanks.

I have the whole 1974 parts manual as a .pdf.. will email it to you.

edit...it's too big!! over 13Mb and my emailer will only let me attach files max 10Mb

I've uploaded it to the australian X19 facebook page...in the files section.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/x19australia/files/

it's the second file down...'"catalogo parti di ricambio....."

page 72 is what you want to look at ...if your using the adobe viewer, rotate the view anticlockwise and it's much easier to read

edit 2...found a lower res (4.5Mb) copy on my hard drive, sent by email

SteveC

Last edited:
Not sure what is going on here....

Just called VAS and they insist that the inner tie rod end on the left and right is the same for all X1/9 steering racks. Attached is a pic of what I have on the right side of mine and I can't see how the complete tie rod end will connect to this. There is indeed a bushing that can be replaced, but I think I'll just order the entire rack to be safe.

I'm baffled as I've looked in two different service manuals and neither of them show the same tie rod end on the right and left side. Am I missing something?? Starting to feel like a dummy.

I'm baffled as I've looked in two different service manuals and neither of them show the same tie rod end on the right and left side. Am I missing something?? Starting to feel like a dummy.

It's just for clarity in the parts manual, as the parts are the same left and right, so they just don't show the other side.

Don't you just hate it when someone says "they're all the same" when obviously they are not!

SteveC

That picture doesn't show a tie rod. That is a rack bushing. No, the tie rods don't connect to a smooth shaft or to the bushing. They screw onto the threaded ends of the inner steering rack shaft. Both ends have the same threads. Both inner and outer tie rods are the same length when together so the car steers the same when turning left or right. If you remove the inner tie rod socket from the rack you can then thread on the new inner tie rod.

If I'm missing something, then post a picture of what you have on your car and I will do my best to sort it out.

Calling Andrew....

Thanks Andrew, I think the safest thing is to order the entire steering rack. When the old one is out, I'll see what we have, take lots of pictures. Since I'm paying someone to do the the work, the labor to sort this out will be more than the new rack. Thx.

Full rack! Good move. Comes nice and built. Be sure to work the inner tie rods by hand before you give it to the shop. The sockets are super tight and a half hour of moving them around will really help the alignment shop. Think of it as stretching before you go jogging.

Sounds like the current rack is still in the car. If so, then no wonder there are issues. I've heard the inner tie rods and the rack bushing can be replace in the car but I don't know how. I tried for a long while once and finally just pulled the rack out. Spent far more time fighting it in the car and accomplishing nothing than I did removing it and rebuilding it on the bench.

Rack +

Andrew, I'm also looking at ordering the Hydrasports shocks/springs at the same time to save on shipping. I'll be in touch today or tomorrow. That way its all done and I can get the alignment done once and only once. Thx.

Get new ends & jam nuts while you're at it. I bought the new rack from Vicks, and the ends & jam nuts from MWB :)

Forgive my stupidity.... what exactly are new ends and jam nuts??

The tie rod ends & jam (locking) nuts to retain the ends do not come with the new rack. Murphy's Law dictates that the ends will be damaged removing them, or will fail shortly after installation & alignment of the car. For under $20 a side, it's not worth it, IMO.

You mean the outer ends don't come with the rack, just the inners. It is best to replace it all as yes, Murphy's Law will kick you when you're down.

Order placed....

Just ordered the new rack, a complete poly bushings kit and the Hydrasport coilovers. Once its all installed, I'll be sure to update everyone on how it feels. As always, many thanks for all the help and advice.

All racks were not the same.

There are in fact at least three. MWB has a listing on each. I replaced the rack on my 82 with a later rack which uses different outer tie rod ends.

According to VAS....

There are at least two, however, they said the only differences are the threads. So if you buy an early rack, it will technically fit in your car, however, you will have to get early outer tie rod ends to match and vice versa. I'll post more info once I have everything and get pictures of everything. I'm also installing all new poly bushings and likely new outer tie rod ends as well. I only want to do the alignment once, so I might as well replace everything in one shot and then its all done.

Beware......

Hi Bill. Be careful here....or at least be aware....

I think Squid is correct - I believe there are at least 3 distinctly different racks for the X1/9.....

Type A - used on '74 (and maybe into '75 ? ). I believe it had only 3.0 turns lock to lock (the other 2 types had 3.5). Some think thus this is a "quick rack", but I think in truth it had the same steering ratio as the later types - but LESS travel (that is the wheels dont turn as far at full lock). Also seemed to use a different style of inner tie rod end (as Steve alluded to). I think the inner tie rod ends are interchangeable with the later type - just different type of construction. Also - most importantly - I recall reading somewhere that this rack also had a different input shaft (longer or shorter or different splines or something). Thus it requires the matching steering column (or maybe just the lower portion of it).

Type B - used from about '75 to somewhere around '82-'83. 3.5 turns lock to lock.

Type C - similar to B but with different (larger) threads on ends of rack. Thus takes different inner (and outer) tie rod ends. Used from '82-'83 onwards.

I do believe (well at least 95% LOL ) the above to be true. I would welcome any corrections/confirmations.

So Bill....IF above is true - which rack are Vick's supplying to you ?? IF type B ( ?? ) - then be aware that you MAY also have to change the steering column (or maybe just the lower portion of it ) to be able to fit it into your '74. AND - be aware you will probably now end up with more steering travel ( the wheels will now turn more) so check you will have tire clearance at full travel - this would probably depend on your particular wheel/tire combo. But - the extra travel may be a good thing. Sometimes - if you get really sideways - that little bit of extra lock can be a savior LOL....

Back