Bertone Seat Removal?

RJH

True Classic
Does anyone know how to remove the seats in my 1986 Bertone?

I have slid seats all the way forward and all the way back. There is also no space under the seats for tools because they made the seats low as possible for taller drivers.

Yes, I had searched old posts on xweb before posting here. They all address Fiat X1/9 and Not Bertone X1/9 (Pre 1982).

Thank you.

Yes, easy. (sort-of)

You need to slide the seat all the way forward.
You will see 2 Allen Cap screws on the rear rails, 1 on each rail. Remove them. (difficult if you do not clean the screw threads underneath the car and oil them)

Next, slide the seat back all the way and do the same as above.
Note: The front screws are the hardest because you have just enough room to get an Allen Wrench in there.

Takes a while to get them out but be patient!

Good luck!

Just a friendly addendum to Bob's advice.

The kind of allen head wrench that has a "wobble" head shape makes it easier to get a purchase on the front two allen head capscrews (6MM IIRC).

The front allen head capscrews do not have to be completely removed, as the front holes in the seat tracks have a "keyhole" shape, which allows you to loosen them some and then nudge the seat assy forward a smidge so that the capscrew heads line up with the round part of the shape, giving the clearance needed to lift the seat up and out.

The seats are of course heavy and clumsy, so I find that it's easiest to fold the seat back forward, then run the seat all the way back in its track, before lifting it out, mostly gripping the base. Having the targa top off would help, too, although it's not a deal-breaker.

What I did on mine that helped was to take a spare allen wrench of the correct size and cut it down short enough to where it will fit under the seat. Then use a small socket or wrench to turn it.

Back