Muffler Question

WildWilly

True Classic
The 74 is running great, but I can tell that the stock 74 Fiat muffler is restrictive. I'd like to have more flow but not too much noise and not a fart can kind of sound. The deeper the better. So tell me.... what are you guys running that has good flow and a nice deep sound?

CSC quad tip sports exhaust

Hi, I bought a CSC quad tip sports exhaust for my car and it looked and sounded great, outside the car. Unfortunately inside the car was so loud, you just could not drive it, I mean, painfully loud. Go careful! It was over £400 + fitting (it did not just swap as it was supposed to). I even carefully cut the ends (sides) off and stuffed it with exhaust packing and re-attached the ends. That did not reduce noise in any noticeable degree. It's in the bin now.

Hi, I bought a CSC quad tip sports exhaust for my car and it looked and sounded great, outside the car. Unfortunately inside the car was so loud, you just could not drive it, I mean, painfully loud. Go careful! It was over £400 + fitting (it did not just swap as it was supposed to). I even carefully cut the ends (sides) off and stuffed it with exhaust packing and re-attached the ends. That did not reduce noise in any noticeable degree. It's in the bin now.

Bin as in you trashed it or its in a pile of junk in tne garage? Id be in for it if you have it still.

Flowmaster

Running a Flowmaster 12012409 from Summit Racing. Cut and pasted into my Allison Header and exhaust on my 79 carb x. Has loud rumble when on power between 3 and 4 Krpm, but that's why they sell ear plugs

Gibson

I cut and pasted a Gibson one in two out to my 1300 and it was loud. I put a motorcycle baffle at each outlet. It is still loud but I can live with it. I wanted loud...:devil:

As I said before Willy... Find a muffler shop that...

will work with you. A good Mom & Pop shop where the owner can tell you from EXPERIENCE what mufflers might work best.

Have them install it with clamps or a typical 3 bole flange and test drive each one. When you find the one you like you can leave it as is or have it welded in.

Whatever the cost in time and money will be well worth the effort and I know for you... like Jay Leno, money is not an object.

No, really, it is in the bin. I honestly mean that it was not driveable. I downloaded an app on my phone and it registered in excess of 120db. It wasn't just ludicrously loud, it was offensively loud. It was truly awful.

No, really, it is in the bin. I honestly mean that it was not driveable. I downloaded an app on my phone and it registered in excess of 120db. It wasn't just ludicrously loud, it was offensively loud. It was truly awful.

I second this. Had the same problem.

Ha ha ha

I wish I had Jay Leno's money:) The Fiat account is just about dry, but lots of things left to do. The big stuff is all done, but now to work on the little stuff. I have a good muffler from a Lotus Elise but its heavy and almost too big. We're not sure we can make it work, but we're going to try that. I was hoping there was someone from NAPA for $50 that would be just the ticket.

don't we all

have a serria autotechnia on the red x, and it truly burbles at idle and loud when you punch it, but at cruising speed you hear the downdrafts .not so much the drone as from other mufflers. think they went out of biz. shame. I have a small GM resonator off a truck, and awaiting the install on black beauty. it might be ear bleeding loud and if that is the case I will go to the local muffler shop in town and have him fab something up. he has helped me on all matters exhaust and with bending the replacement SS water pipe for under the red x.
mikemo

The trouble with most premade exhaust systems is fitment to the (unique to the US) 74 offset outlet exhaust manifolding ... but in your case Bill, with the aftermarket 4/2 manifold you have with a central outlet there are some European systems that should go straight on without issues.

Carl (rsrx) on this forum just bought one of these to fit his '74 which will be getting very similar engine upgrades to yours...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marmitta-sp...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

but personally I think a good muffler shop , some mandrel bends and something 2.25inch ID on the muffler with a 2" tailpipe is the business... a little like this. (tailpipe isn't fitted in the pics)

SteveC

Most folks try to use a straight through glass pack type muffler. I was wondering if anyone has tried a "turbo" style muffler which is classic oval shape with perforated reverse flow tubes internally. At some point I have to make a street exhaust for my X as it came to me with headers and a straight pipe. I added a 124 spider resonator just to keep it quiet enough to fire up in the garage but not nearly quiet enough to drive it. Turbo mufflers are relatively cheap an small enough to fit without issues.

The Camaro 12266 muffler (2.5" Inlet, 2.25" dual outlet) that was recommended is not offensively loud. That only works if you want to do dual outlet. I added silencer tips to reduce drone.

8418836A-C430-4400-9B76-8DD1AE22CEAB_zps7vw5n0qn.jpg

Last edited:
Turbo-type muffler

FYI Carl, the muffler on my 850 Spider (which you've seen and heard many times on club drives) is exactly what you describe, a generic turbo-type muffler, offset inlet and outlet. I'm very happy with how it works and sounds on that car, would probably work well on an X1/9 too.

Back