green colors

jvandyke

True Classic
Last night I tore (literally) a huge junk of rear corner off my car (before it fell off and potentially hurt someone)
So got to thinking about totally redoing the thing and jumping ahead of myself WAY AHEAD, looking at colors
I'm in love with green at the moment, in regard to these two shades (from (concorso italiano a while ago??)
Could these colors be: (the year refers to color reference not necessarily of the cars themselves)
background '74 358 (Verde Chiaro)?
foreground '75 397 (Verde Medio)?

I thought 358 couldn't be beat but the 397 is pretty nice too.

Can anyone confirm which colors these cars are? I'd like to see more 397 (Verde Medio?? if that's what this car is, could be totally custom too though)

75_Fiat-X-1-9_DV-12-Ci-01.jpg

Last edited:
Grazie, I updated original post to reflect "real" color names. Though not sure if the samples are what I think they are

That chart has two examples of 329 verde chiaro and they have vastly different "samples"

Last edited:
Colors...

Though not sure if the samples are what I think they are. That chart has two examples of 329 verde chiaro and they have vastly different "samples"

And the "BLUE METALLIC - BLU MET." paint they show there with code 426 for 1972-75 cars is wrong. The real 426 is called Azzurro Francia (French Blue) & it's a solid non-metallic finish (my old '69 850 Spider was originally this color).

The color hues are pretty close to being accurate on this old DuPont paint chip sample page, with 426 French Blue, 329 Medium (Kelly) Green & 358 Light (Lime) Green all shown together:

Hmm...

I'm in love with green at the moment, in regard to these two shades (from (concorsica italiano a while ago)
Could these colors be:
background '74 358 (Verde Chiaro)?
foreground '75 397 (Verde Medio)?

Can anyone confirm which colors these cars are? I'd like to see more 397 (Verde Medio?? if that's what this car is, could be totally custom too though)

75_Fiat-X-1-9_DV-12-Ci-01.jpg

I'm pretty sure that later-model car in the foreground is not 397 Sea Green:

It might be something like the 390 or 812 Green Metallic? (Sorry, I don't have an accurate sample of the metallic colors)

fs_fiat_x19_1980_green.jpg

Last edited:
If you're not set on vintage greens, another option would be the greens on current FIATs---for example, looking at the 2016 500 Pop in the fiatusa.com website, there are 3 available greens in its color palette.

Orange #562

I have been torn on vintage vs modern paint too. I was planning on French Blue, but now I am thinking about painting my 85 in the "562 Orange" I have seen on some of the new Fiat 500Xs. :)

2016-fiat-500x-trekking-plus-side-profile-in-motion.jpg

I'm not set on anything nor do I need to be for a LONG TIME.
Plasti-Dip; been there, done that, looked good for a month, looks like my car has a skin disease now that 80% of it has worn off.
It's weird how my color preferences change, I was all about silver, yellow, metallics like gold and bronze and now I'm into the greens.
I'm too old to drive a rusty ratty car anymore. I need to either make mine pretty or get another one. I've got so much invested in this one (time and tinkering) I'm leaning toward saving it even though it makes no sense to financially.
It's currently down with a seepy coolant hose, a full set is in the mail, I'll probably get it on the road again for the rest of the summer and then start tearing it down. Very hesitant because I know there's a decent chance it will never roll again.
Going to a few car shows this spring has me wanting a presentable one. I'd love to roll into the cruise-ins around here with a good looking X as I truly believe it is one of best car designs ever.
If someone recognizes that foreground green (quite likely not a period Fiat green given the obviously departures from stock on the other bits) holler.
I'll pay attention to pretty colors on modern cars in the meantime.

maybe it's

GREEN METALLIC - VERDE MET. [VERSION "SERIE SPECIALE"]

modern Fiat verde chiaro seems much paler
60847f921ca37ead284d170fd63aeaa4.jpg

Last edited:
#397 verde medio green

The color green on the 75 X is not a Fiat color. It's the color green from late model VW Beetle (95-05). The original color was the same as the 74 next to the 75. I changed the color to something a little more current in style. Considering I'm the original owner I took the liberty, knowing there would be criticism for not keeping it original. As they say, "it's in the eye of the beholder"
Respectfully,
Richard

That's your car? Paydirt!
I really like that color. Nicely done. Looks spectacular. Original owner too, outstanding. I love the fact you changed the color to your taste.

Last edited:
Green!

Thanks for the compliment.
If you look at the seats, they are original, they are out of a Lotus Elise, the bumpers are custom made from the original bumper material. Not much of the car is original and that includes the 97hp at the wheel, thanks and credit has to be given to Chris Obert for that upgrade.
I saw a Porsche 911 with the same green color and it did not fit the car that well. Something about the body style of the X1\9 that can almost make any color look great.
Respectfully,
Richard

That seems quite true, certain body styles and colors go together and others don't work. If I had to choose a color today I think that would be it. I like yellow and many others but somehow I'm not sure I could live with some of those colors day in and day out.

Have been thinking about green for years!

First X was gold and was not my first choice... wanted the car that appears on the poster that dealers handed out in 81. It was red metallic with black interior. Found one in Detroit but the passenger seat was blue and since I had to take delivery that day I could not get the dealer to swap a seat from another car... might not have had another black interior in stock... so I got a gold one from some other dealer. There was a green with white interior parked near parents home for years after I got my X. My first car was a 70 Camaro in Citrus Green Met so I had an appreciation for green cars. That green is a bit darker but I remember a metallic green on GM car that was very near the 80 Fiat color... was 80 Monte Carlo/Regal/Cutlass type car. When I did the color search thing I settled on the current Dodge Challenger color. New but it looks a lot like the 80s color. The green on the 2012 Camaro was not right, for that car or any IMO. Good luck! Always like seeing the X in green!
Regards

Mine was gold when I got it, didn't mind it, kinda liked it, painted it black because it was trashed and I did it with a roller (turned out pretty good for what it was)
I like black.
then I plasti dipped it flat black over the now crappy gloss black, looked really good, for a few weeks, now rust has devoured it from the inside out and the paint is hideous and well, I like green.....today
I also feel the X can pull off most colors decently (I detest brown though).

paint

remember that ppg, DuPont and ditzler all have different paint codes for the same color. my wife's 05 Monte Carlo is a purple/blue metallic and when she got in an accident, the painter decided that none of the colors were correct. so he blended what he believed was correct.and it was. so if you see a green that catches your eye, have the painter tailor it to your needs and have him make a double batch in case there is a ding or dent down the road.
mikemo

Back